Crockpot cooking in a campground?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by paulberard, Aug 6, 2013.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

To each his own my friend.

2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I dont think my crock pot will fit in my little camper sink. I'll have to measure when I get home, that is a good idea.

Otherwise I might have to take the risk and get a new one that will fit! [LOL]

3. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

you can always get a large enough baking pan and set in in there on the floor.

4. rawlus

rawlus New Member

I catch the "those who camp" vs "those who bring the whole house", "those who like the wilderness" vs "those who like NYC" vibe.

Seems a bit condescending and judgemental to me. Maybe I'm sensitive today.

5. tombiasi

I was just expressing my observations and comparing them to my own thoughts, no offence intended to anyone.
    Perhaps it is judgmental but not meant to be condescending in the least.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Letsee, you drink rootbeer while ya tug o war with a hunk of port?

7. JAH

JAH New Member

Use a crockpot all the time. No issues with racoons or skunks. But I can't tell you about Yogi, Boo-Boo or any of their friends. There just aren't many bears in Eastern/Central Kansas.

8. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

Well, since I come from Wisconsin (beer capitol), and more specifically Milwaukee (Brew City), and I am a home brewer, wherever I go it is beer country. So I vote for beer pulled pork, leave out the root.

Is there a thread on camping crockpot recipes? If not, I am starting one!

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

OMG put an electrical device in the sink, are you mad?!

j/k this thread had me cracking up...I too like to live dangerously. we cook on the stove, cook on the grill attached to the camper even with the awning deployed! Sometimes we even bring a crockpot or a griddle!

Is it OK to run with scissors in a campground? Just askin....

10. Groogrux

Groogrux New Member

I like to live dangerously....we use our crockpot all the time while camping. Even in bear country and we've never had a problem. Can't speak for anywhere else in the US but here in the Northeast it's unusual for bears to come out in the middle of the day. the important thing is too make sure you clean up well and store food in a secure place. We typically store our dry goods in a big plastic bin and then through it and the cooler into the car at night.

11. tombiasi

Most state parks. That's what red cups are for. [;)]

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Fla. State Parks says it is ok (might as well be) but you are to keep it in your campsite.
    I use a crockpot all the time and yes I sit it in the sink, been doing it for years..

13. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

I sit it in the sink too! With my rambunctious boys I don't want to take any chance it will spill over. My favorite crockpot for the camper is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26418485

It easily serves 2 to 4 people, is oval in shape so it doesn't take up a lot of room in the cupboard (or in the sink, ha!) and it has a nice rubber strap that keeps the lid on if you have to move it.

As far as camping recipes, our favorites are baked beans, bbq meatballs (we prefer the pre-made 1/2 inch ones from Gordon Foods), pulled pork/chicken (that can be used for a variety of things like fajitas), and macaroni and cheese. If you want something a little more elaborate, my rule is this. The only thing you need to do to make a recipe "camping food" is to only make it ONLY when you go camping! For instance, I only make peach/blueberry cobbler in the slow cooker only when we camp. That makes it special!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-peach-cobbler/915e3a73-6289-4338-8623-2df67c469dce