Cross Country trip, closing in the rain

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by ericrlarson, May 22, 2021.

1. ericrlarson

ericrlarson New Member

Hey everyone,
    I am now a HTT owner. We are planning to do a cross country trip in it. Here is my question for those of you who have done long trips where you need to pack up for travel days.

What tips and tricks have you learned for packing up when it is raining so that things do not get wet inside the trailer because the canvas is wet.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

HTT?
    hybrid travel trailer?

My 2014 Shamrock has vinyl tent ends... not canvas... vinyl does not soak thru like older canvas tent ends

What are your tent ends made from?

3. ericrlarson

ericrlarson New Member

Yes a hybrid :)

Sorry I was not totally clear. My ends are vinyl too, so I am not worried about soaking through.

We used to have a popup, and when we closed it invariably anything that came in contact with the wet vinyl got wet when we closed up in the rain.

This was never really a problem because we were just heading home, so we opened up and let everything dry out.

However, in a long trip we will need to use the beds that night and it would be great if they were not damp. That is what I am interested in tips and tricks for.

Eric

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Towel, as your folding the bunk end especially as much of the canvas as you can with a towel..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Something I saw done, is to wrap the bunkend in a clear tarp on rainy days. My guess it was a pain to put up.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I used the homemade popup gizmo on both bunks attached by stick-on velcro. (The emergency blanket is a perfect size) Once all the clamps are taken off, the vinyl is kept relatively dry. Peel off the popup gizmo at the last moment as you close up the bunk. Recently, I acquired a large Aqua Quest (20' x 13') with telescopic poles. The idea is to cover the entire HTT so I can work under it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01771ZTD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the poles
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7GH32D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. hayyward

hayyward Active Member Gold Supporting Member

You could cover your mattresses with a tarp to prevent them from drippage, being careful removing the tarps in case any water collected on them.

8. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

Still not seeing a problem... the wet vinyl tent ends fold up outside and the dry part inside never touches the outside. Now my bunk ends are fastened to the bunk door... maybe yours are not. The only time I would get wet is opening and closing when out in the rain. If your tents have to be fastened with bungies or whatever to the bunk door then maybe a beach towel folded in would be helpful.

I will admit that the side curtains on my tents are cotton canvas that will soak thru, if the bedding is in contact with the side curtains of the tent. I make sure to spray those side canvas curtains with moisture guard inside and out twice a year. Now in cool moist wet weather, make sure you have air circulating in the bunk ends and crack a roof vent with slow speed fan on to vent the moisture otherwise it will tend to condense in the bunk ends on the cool vinyl surface and will "rain" on you in the night. That is why hybrids come with bunk end fans... to keep that moist air that you exhale moving away from the cooler vinyl tent material.

9. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

we never had a problem with any moisture inside the bedding when we folded up a wet tent end - we do take care to control condensation on the inside. if it has stopped raining, we will wipe the vinyl with a towel just to dry the tenting before folding up and we use PUGs.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we packup in the rain we really don't worry about it. The next place we go to will allow it to dry out. We also do not keep the bedding on the bunks when we pack up. But really have never had an issue with anything on the bunk ends getting wet. Just take your time packing up even in the rain.

11. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

I used a combination of homemade PUG(as described above) and a new, clean dry mop(used only for this purpose) to get any remaining water or dew off the vinyl. Worked a charm, never got the mattress wet. I don't recall ever having to fold the hybrid up in a real pouring rain, though. The prior pop up got folded up in some pretty hard driving rain. I didn't have a solution for that.

Don

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Only once in Niagara Falls, ON was it raining so hard we said "Screw it!" and went out for breakfast at IHOP and waited for the rain to let up!! It was a good move as when we got out of the restaurant it had stopped raining altogether!

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We are new to HTT camping and haven't packed up wet yet. With the PUP we had to unhook the sides from the bunk and the edges of the mattress would sometimes get wet from the wet fabric. With our HTT the canvas stays connected all the way around the bunk so there doesn't seem the mattresses getting wet will be much of an issue.