Cross Country

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by oceanstater, Jul 27, 2020.

1. oceanstater

oceanstater Member

NTU pop up purchased at the end of April (2008 Coleman Utah), renovated and updated in the back yard in May, a couple of test trips in June to NH and MA and off we went.

RI to CA and back again, 1 month on the road, 8,710 miles. Mostly National Parks, some Hipcamp, a couple of hotels to take a break and beat the heat (125F in Death Valley).

Nothing out of the ordinary to report. Had 2 spare tires with us, extra set of bearings, lots of tools and miscellaneous parts, but didn't need any of them. Lucky I guess.

Lots of little details to work on/repair: loose drawers/cabinet doors, toilet won't flush (used cups of water instead), new group 31 battery drained a lot quicker than I thought it would after 1-2 nights so I might look into solar. Dirty as can be so needs a good washing.

Thank you all for running and maintaining such a helpful forum. Everything I know I learned from this site. If you want to learn a lot about your camper, hit the road....

Attached Files:

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Do a power audit, that isn't long. Our family of four uses 10-15% of a single group 31 per night. All bulbs should be LED and everything turned off when not in use. It took a few trips with me being a drill sergeant (turn that light off, why is the water pump still running, turn those charge ports off). I do not use fans.

3. oceanstater

oceanstater Member

A power audit is definitely on my to do list. I replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs, turned off the water pump when not in use, etc. but in the summer heat with 3 kids we needed fans and USB ports to charge devices. The biggest draw was definitely a portable cooler (Costway 55qt.).

Can I measure power draw/usage with a digital multimeter?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

A 12V compressor fridge almost necessitates solar if you go longer than two days.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There's your power consumption. We have a 3-way running on propane. Duel batteries would help, but the smarter money is a way to recharge if you are going to be using an electric fridge. When temps are 90 and up we only camp with hookups and the AC is cranking. The boys and I can handle it, but DW with hot flashes and 90+ temps is not a good combination.