Crossing Canada/USA border with pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by algonquingirl, Nov 10, 2018.

1. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

For those of you who have taken your pup across the border how did you find the experience? Did you have Nexus? Trying to make sure I have everything in order when I go to Florida.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pretty simple.. Crossed several times with the pup and with the TT.. With the TT US Border guards usually take a look inside, some of them also looked in the box of the truck.. With the pup, never had one guard even ask to open the door..

We never bothered with Nexus, just use the Passport. If you look on both the US Border Services website and on the CBSA website you will find the up-to-date info on what is and isnt allowed across going both ways..

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We really never had a problem also.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I always wondered if they would make you put your camper up.

5. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I've been across the border in Washington/British Columbia and Maine/New Brunswick. I have used a passport each time.
    Entry is usually not a problem but when I crossed over in eastern Washington they had me pop up my Aliner and searched it for firearms. There are some militia groups in Idaho and eastern Washington. The border guards were polite but took about 5 minutes to rummage around.
    It probably didn't help that I have short hair and have a veteran sticker on my car and on my Aliner.

6. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I will also add there is nothing to worry about. No different than crossing with just your vehicle.

No fresh produce, no meat, and no firewood are the big things they will look for.

7. Jim Whitehouse

Jim Whitehouse New Member

Your passport will get you into the USA. Just answer the questions asked. Don't tell a story. Have an itinerary available if asked. They will want assurances that you will be returning to Canada. Have a permanent address for them. No meat, fruit or vegetables or dairy. Canned goods are OK.

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

As others have stated, we have had no problem. Just used passports and answered a couple of questions. It's weird to me that I travel to and from the U.S. with a full sized pickup yet they have never wanted to look in the truck box, or even the pup for that matter if I am towing it.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When returning, Make sure you have all the receipts handy for anything you are bringing back with you, like groceries, booze, souvenirs etc.. Do not give them the receipt for your last tank of gas prior to crossing, unless they ask for it.. They have been known to charge duty on the full tank of gas, even if your down to 1/2 tank..

Also keep in mind that the day you leave Canada doesnt count towards your # of days out of the Country in terms of your allowed limits.. i.e. You exit Canada on the 12th at 8 a.m and plan to be gone for 7 days to maximize your allowed limits, you could find yourself paying duty on items because they do not count the 10th as you being out of the Country...

Due to that reason above, We either plan our trips as if we were leaving the next day, or we cross as close to midnight as we can, funny how less then 2 minutes can change things..

10. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Definitely have a printed out itinerary. Also, if you are travelling with animals, it's best just to get their food stateside if you can. There are strict agricultural rules that, especially if it's a slow day at customs, they will enforce. (And, if that means opening the pop up, they will.) If you need to bring particular food for them, make sure it's unopened, clearly labelled and in your tow vehicle. I'd also take a look at the US Customs website for the latest info on food that can and cannot be brought into the States.

11. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

Being from the Niagara area, we cross over to Buffalo all the time but I’ve never done it with a trailer. Thanks guys’d!

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Then you have no worries - obey the rules on what you can & can't transport across the border, have your documentation ready to present, and there's really no difference. Some crossings across the Niagara River do have marked RV lanes and if so you're better to use those lanes rather than the generic car lanes. We've had our travel trailers sent for a secondary search a couple of times, interestingly only on the Cdn side on our way back home, but have never had a popup searched. When going into the US with a camper I find it does help to have a campsite already booked for at least the first night, with a copy of the reservation handy, otherwise no one seems to care what you do after that.

13. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Once when crossing into Canada at the Soo, they searched our trailer and truck very thoroughly, and asked several questions about guns. I wondered about it before I remembered I had a NRA decal on the rear window of the truck.

14. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We had our truck checked once when the Canadian border guards found out that my partner has a concealed carry permit. We still chuckle that they didn't check inside the gun safe that is front and center in the back seat.

15. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

This comes from a US CBP officer. In a nutshell, your profiled. You hand him all of the proper paper work and it comes back clean, they are trained to look for certain things. If your manner raises suspicion, off to secondary for further inspection. The questions they ask will give them what they need to make a determination.

16. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

Thank you for posting this. My kids have never had a passport and ours are expired. We are planning a trip from T.O to Boston this summer and I was considering getting a Nexus card. If I am reading the site correctly it takes longer to get then a passport but it's cheaper and if we have one the kids don't need a Nexus or passport. Not sure what we will do yet, the pro of getting a passport is if we ever win a trip we will have a passport.lol.

17. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Crossed into Canada at Niagara Falls last summer. Had everything ready and available for the border agent (passports). A few simple questions (where you from, where you headed, how long you intend to stay in Canada) and we were waved through. Crossed back into the US at Port Huron. Again had everything ready. US agent was more intrigued with the observation camera monitor on the dash so spent about five minutes extolling the virtues of having a rear observation camera on the trailer. I think the agent had his own trailer.

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You need to do more research - everyone in the vehicle must have their own Nexus card, kids included. If even one person in the vehicle doesn't have a Nexus card then no one can use theirs either.

https://nexuscardapplication.com/faqs/child/

Adult Nexus cards require a payment with the application and a subsequent personal interview, kids' Nexus cards are free but I would assume they'd have to also accompany you to the interview. A Nexus card works best for those who cross frequently, otherwise your best bet is a passport for each family member.