Crowded campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Spawndn72, May 8, 2017.

1. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Are the campgrounds around you crowded? In middle TN you better make your reservations early if you want to have spot. Just curious how it is in other parts of the world.

We just bought our camper last year and just like everything else, it seems that every time I decide to do something, EVERYONE else decides they want to do that very same thing.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Here in Texas it is the same way. I have to reserve 9-12 months ahead of date when we want to go.

3. Jeeperforlife

Jeeperforlife New Member

Same here in Missouri. You need to make reservations at least 2 months in advance for most camping and 6+ on the best spots.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Try off season camping? All campgrounds during holidays are FULL in California. Weekends during off season are good time. But Fall in TN is NOT off season due to foliage viewing.

5. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

We haven't made reservations yet but we get there on Thursday to beat the weekend crowd.

Arizona.

6. Halford

That is if there are no reservations on few sites.. or last minute cancellations.

7. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

The campground we go to you can reserve 1/2 the campground, the rest is first come first serve. We get there on Thursday noonish and have never had a problem getting a site. Friday morning, they are full.

8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I don't get it. Other than for holiday weekends I have never needed a reservation. I was in Texas last fall at a ACE campground and no reservations. Campground started to fill up by the Saturday morning we left. Last summer stayed at another ACE campground in Lake Carlyle Illinois. We were the only ones there starting the day after July 4. Summer before last stayed in a county park near Denver no reservations. Unless it's a busy holiday weekend I don't make reservations. I may call when I'm an hour or two out to see if there are spaces to determine if I need to keep on going or not but no real reservations.

9. Halford

the Luck of Irish seems to be good to you. except that you went during not-so-busy weekends.

jackquontee likes this.
  10. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

Here in Oregon it's been getting busier and busier each year since 2013. This is the first year we've had to make reservations for National Forest campgrounds and I made those in February! Those locations are all sold out now for August! Most first come sites were full by Wednesday last year.
    LOT'S of newer RV's on the road too. I've noticed an big influx of TT and fifth wheels since 2015. National Parks are harder to get reservations if you wait a few months out. Just wait for another recession to weed things out. That's what happened shortly after 2008. Camping seasons 2009 - 2012 were easy and no crowds!

11. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I also tend to stay at less popular places. I suppose for next years trip to Washington DC I will make reservations. I don't mind being an hour or two from the destination. So like when we spent the week in Colorado I tried to find a CG central to all the things we wanted to see. From our site near Denver we spent a day in RMNP, a day in Colorado Springs at the Air Force Academy and a little place in the afternoon I called dancing with wolves. When we were in Lake Carlyle we planed on just fishing and a few winery tours. Two years back we wandered into a state park outside Nashville and spent a couple days driving into Nashville to see the sights. I guess you could call lucky. I consider it part of the adventure.

12. poohsmom

poohsmom New Member

We are not weekend campers, like to stay Monday-Friday. Here in Ohio the State Parks seem to be fairly empty until the weekend, plus with my husbands Golden Buckeye Card we can stay for 1/2 price. We did have to make reservation in March for Hocking Hills for in June and we got the last 2 full service sites. We camp there with my sister/brother in-law they have a 5th wheel and need full service, other than camping with them all we need is an electric site

13. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

In Ontario we can reserve 5 months ahead at Provincial Parks. It can be really tough to get a site depending on where you are going. ☹️

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

For the past 5-6 years we have camped on Father's Day weekend. This year the CG's we want to go to all all booked!!!! I called the three we were interested in and no sites available!! WOW!!!

15. jmunz

jmunz Member

We were just having the same conversation this morning. Here in PA it gets harder each year to find spots. This is our 4 year with our PUP and probably our first that we can not find a spot for MemorialDay weekend. Started looking 2 weeks ago as I have in the past. I am glad to see camping popularity but not this much.... HA
    btw, if anyone knows a campground with a good spot please let me know

16. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Here it is is very crowded on the weekends.

17. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Been camping 40+ years and have always experienced crowded weekends. We were making reservations up to a year in advance in the 70s. Now, we rarely camp on weekends unless we are going with others who can't take off weekdays. We camp week days and have never been turned away.

18. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Here in MN, the good sites on weekends are all booked in most places by May first. I learned my lesson last year and now we pick our weekends to camp in January and book sites in March. There are some less popular places that you can book on the weekends on shorter notice and I am sure more FCFS municipal campgrounds that we have not yet discovered. For now, we are weekend campers, so we need to reserve a spot before we go. I don't want to get to my destination and have nowhere to set up.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We did find a campground for Father's Day weekend down the shore in Cape May, NJ. It's a 3 night minimum which is what we wanted to do anyway. Looking forward to the 1st trip of the season!!! [A]

Redbird934 likes this.
  20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In many of the areas we like to explore, camping started to get more popular sometime in the '90s. It also seems to be dependent on location relative to population areas. For instance, in Colorado, if it's within 2-3 hours of Denver, you'd better reserve early. Even a few years ago, timing was a bit different, we could reliably make reservations within a couple of months of when we wanted to camp. Last year, for the Colorado PUP Rally, folks were shut out of the reservable sites by 4 months or so in advance. (That campground has one loop that is only FCFS.) This year, there were still sites the last time I looked for the Rally, but it's outside Durango, a bit farther afield than last year's.
    Time of year makes a difference. In some places, such as North Rim of Grand Canyon, the season is short. In others, there are just extremely busy seasons, including those when lots of overseas visitors arrive, many renting RVs to tour the U.S.
    Most of the time, we now make reservations as soon as eligible. That gets a bit interesting for some trips, since lead time on reservations can vary from 4 months to a year. We have friends who almost never make reservations, travel in many of the same areas we do, and manage to find camping spots. They will reserve for some trips - we made reservations in Feb. to meet them for Thanksgiving.
    We're grateful that my husband's work schedule is predictable, so we can plan trips in advance. We plot to make best use of his vacation time, taking advantage of his alternate Friday-off schedule as much as we can. [For instance, next week's trip will be 8 nights of camping for 3 vacation days.]