Crystal Lake Campground - near Ludington

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by MIlover, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello,

I wanted to post a review of a privately-owned campground we visited Labor Day weekend. It's between Scottville and Ludington, situated on a small, spring-fed lake that *used* to be known as Crystal Lake (hence the campground's name), but the official name on maps is Hackert Lake. Most locals still prefer to call it Crystal Lake. We learned about it from some friends who have been camping there for several years.

The Good
    -Close to Ludington and its marvelous beaches, downtown, etc.
    -Good availability. We were able to get our site on short notice, only 10 days out from Labor Day weekend. I think there are people who go there and are loyal to it, but it's not well known to the masses who usually flock to Ludington SP.
    -Clean, sandy beach that is owned by the campground.
    -Great pan fishing off the dock - kids love it.
    -Canoe, kayak and paddle boat rental from the campground store, which is on the beach.
    -The campground store has soft serve AND hard-packed ice cream, along with homemade caramel corn, adult beverages and other goodies. All reasonably priced.
    - Nice playground for the kids right on the beach - they can run from the swings to the water.
    - Beautiful, mature trees throughout the entire campground - most sites are shaded. Lots of oak, maple, white pine and sassafrass.
    -Sites all have water and electricity; some have full hookups if desired.
    -The park seems to cultivate a family atmosphere. It was a holiday weekend, and some people were out late at their bonfires making a little noise, but nothing crazy was going on. Overall, it was fine and we had fans running which served as white noise.

The Bad-ish
    -The bath/shower house is old and in need of updating. There is only one, which wasn't problematic (we never had to wait in line), but the showers are push-button style. One shower was good; another required one-handed hair rinsing because I had to keep my hand on the darn button the entire time. Not so great for the ladies, or for showering with young children. The water also had a tendency to go from luke-warm to really hot - no temperature control.
    -Since the sites have beautiful tall trees, they also are mostly dirt.
    -Sites vary in size from fairly spacious to quite narrow, and some are angled/hilly. If you want a flat site, be sure to ask for it. We specified a site for a pop up, but our original site was on a hill and really narrow. Fortunately, we were able to trade for a better site.

Overall, we really liked this campground and would return. It's great for kids, since you have a beach, playground, ice cream store, boats and fishing on premises. It's tucked away and feels very laid back. If you want to camp in Ludington but can't plan six months out for the state park, this is a great option. There are a lot of big rigs and seasonal residents, but there were a smattering of tents and pups. The price is $31/night for water and power; $36/night for full hookups.

I took a couple photos and will try to post when I have the time.

2. marrobinson

marrobinson New Member

Thanks for this helpful review! We did try to get in at the State Park in Ludington, and we were not able to get a reservation! This would be a great option!

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I suspect if the name was changed it was to avoid confusion with Crystal Lake near Beulah and Frankfort

4. MIlover

MIlover Member

I'm late in doing this, but here are a couple of photos from the campground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bccamper

bccamper Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great alternative if you can't get into Ludington SP, which is generally tough during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk