cs 2000 power converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by juanventure, Nov 16, 2019.

1. juanventure

juanventure New Member

Im needing to replace our cs 2000 power converter. I have found a ton that are 240vac to 12vdc but not alot that are 120vac->12vdc. Question is can I use the 240 instead of a 120?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Most convertors are 120vt to 12 volt. The 240 volt is an odd convertor. Rv's use 120vt, don't know of any using 240vt. You would be hard pressed to find 240vt at a CG

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

That makes no sense ... call Randy at Best Converter for advice.

http://www.bestconverter.com/

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

please add your PUP type in your profile, and country or state, so we can help answer your questions. If you are in USA then converters are 120AC to 12V (nominally)

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Are you in the USA?

6. juanventure

juanventure New Member

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You need a 120 volt input. Get the 220 out of your mind. For what it's worth, Elixir is not very well respected.

8. juanventure

juanventure New Member

OK thanks!

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

The converter is pretty important to getting hassle-free use of your camper - don't buy it just on low price - as you seem to be doing.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had about the same thing with my 2008 StarCraft setup... It came with the ELIXIR 30AMP model with a couple of breakers and two or three 12VDC fused circuits... The bad thing was it did not have a 12VDC Power Distribution setup and all of my 12VDC wiring came to the back of the Elixir unit and was all connected together with those big yellow twist lock connectors. I had four 12VDC zones done this and believe me that was a bunch of yellows twist lock connectors...

The ELIXIR unit only put 13.6VDC at 30 AMPS... Not good at all for smart mode charging of batteries...

I elected to go with the WFCO 8945 series Power distribution panel which had 5 full size 120VAC Breaker slots and Eleven 12VDC fused positions including two REVERSE POLARITY fuse positions..

All of this with just a little cutting of original hole mount went real smooth and only took around two hours of installing the WF8900 series Power Distribution setup. All of 12VDC wiring was already run to the back of the unit - just had to be separated out from the original four 12VDC zones and rerouted to each of the Eleven 12VDC slots on the new panel.

[​IMG]
    google image

I also found out later on the WF8945 converter.charger unit would never go into high charge mode so I just left it installed in its original spot and got a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C 60 AMP Smart Mode Charger and installed it down stream inside the trailer. I can use either the ELIXIR 45AMP Charger or the PD9260C 60AMP Charger by flipping the controller 120VAC breaker...

The PD9260C will recharge my 50% depleted three 12VDC battery bank to their 90% charge state with three hours of running off 120VAC coming from my generator...

I occasionally still use the WF8945 converter/charger but I have to watch the batteries real close to make sure they are not boiling out fluids. This happens when left on-charge along time using the 13.6VDC source...

The PD9260C goes through its smart mode charging as soon as you turn it on... Does the 14.4V Mode for an hour and then drops back to 13.6V for two more hours and finally sets on 13.2VDC. The 13.2 mode will switch back and forth to 13.6VDC mode depending what the 12V load is doing...

Solved my battery charging just fine for me... I can camp off-road 10-12 days by charging my batteries each morning with my 2KW Generator. After that I then need to do a full 100% charge state usually at home which takes around 14-16 hours to complete the full charge mode cycle...

I'm sure others do things like this differently but this works out great for me... My three 12VDC Batteries lasted from 2009 to 2014 doing this method and finally just wouldn't hold charge very long after that...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I haven't done a lot of RV camping since 2014 and really wanting to get back doing it even if it is just around here in Virginia...

I am just now replacing my battery bank using two groups of 6VDC batteries in series...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Are you in Europe or North/ South America ??

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!