Cumberland Gap NP

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by crackerJack, Mar 12, 2018.

1. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Me, DW, DS, DD, are looking forward to camping somewhere new. I am planning to take a 3-4 night trip to Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, for Spring Break, in early April. I am considering staying at the Wilderness Road CG, which is FCFS. Are main camping activities are hiking and swimming.

Does anyone have input about the park and cg? Do sites fill up fast? Are their any features or hiking trails that are a must do?

2. Harrelldjr

Harrelldjr Member

I don't have any input on the campground.

Depending how much of a hike you are interested in, the sand cave/ white rocks loop via the Ewing Trail is one of my favorite hikes ever. It is one of very few hikes that I gladly repeat. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/ewing-trail-sand-cave-white-rocks

The tri-state peak hike is a shorter hike that takes you to the point where Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky meet.

Driving or hiking up to the Pinnacle overlook is a must do if you haven't been there before.

Hensley's Settlement can be hiked to from a few different point, but most are strenuous. The park used to do tours of the settlement via van, but I'm not sure if they still do. They have not updated their website with 2018 dates. The same goes for tours of the Gap cave.

The Sugar Run trail is another nice one that can be combined with the Ridge Trail and the Harlan Road Trail to make a nice loop with some steep sections.

crackerJack likes this.
  3. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We had a great time at CGNHP. We hiked out and back to the White Rocks. Tough hike with awesome views. It was still offseason so Gap Cave and the Hensley settlement were closed.
    The CG is very large and wooded. It is one of very few NP’s that have electric sites. It’s not a real busy park. The cold snap really cleared everyone out. Campfire cooking tastes even better when it’s snowing.