Cunningham Falls SP

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by jenventola, Sep 3, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/cunningham.aspx

23 basic sites, 8 sites with electric hook-up (30 amp)

No water/sewer hookups; water spigots located throughout camping loops. Pets allowed in campground, all trails, and day-use area.

Stayed here in July of 2015

Site Details: We stayed in the Electric Loop, site #6. Site was very shaded, and quite secluded. Camping pad was nice and level, although the driveway was slightly sloped. Nice amount of space in between sites. Very short walk to bathouse. Campground was relatively empty our first night (Thurs), but filled up the next day. Still, heard hardly any noises from our neighbors. Camp hosts were very friendly, and came over to introduce themselves and go over park info shortly after we checked in.

Facilities/Overall Park: Bath house was centrally located. Pretty average as far as cleanliness goes, but everything worked, and the showers were hot. Great recycled tire playground, and awesome nature center w/ turtles and various birds of prey on site in the Manor Area. If you head over to the Houck Area of the park (about a 15-20 min drive), you’ll find the lake, falls, and another campground. The Houck area definitely tends to be more crowded. I can’t speak to the campground, but the lake is nice, and the falls are beautiful. The hike up wasn’t too strenuous, either; my husband, dog, and 5-year-old handled it just fine.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: Catoctin Zoo right up the road. We didn’t go, since we had our dog with us. We would have liked to see Catoctin Furnace as well, but ran out of time. There is a Weis Market about 5-10 minutes up the road, and a Family Dollar nearby as well. Believe there is also an RV dealer nearby in case you find yourself in need of parts or service. Not a whole lot to do in the area.

Overall, this is a great park. Beautiful, wooded setting, and secluded, spacious sites. Would definitely stay in the Manor area again. Houck area is very nice, but a little too crowded for me, especially with summer traffic to get into the lake area. Note: we camped here in a tent (before we purchased our PUP), but would not hesitate to return in our camper.

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

We camp at Cunningham falls every year but we go to the Houck area in early spring. We have never camped in the manor area where you were.
    The Catoctin Zoo is worth a visit. It is small and the employees are happy to talk to visitors about the animals.
    The Houck area has four loops, only one has electric, the rest are no hookups (but I have noticed the couple of handicap sites in those loops have power.) Water spigots are around the loops so filling your fresh water tank is easy. There is a dump station on your way out. The electric loop is also pet friendly. Camping in the Houck area makes the falls and lake within walking distance which is important in the summer as the parking lots fill up and getting into the lake area can be a problem. The camp hosts are usually good, the bathhouse fairly clean and centrally located. Yes, the electric loop fills up but people are usually pretty quite. The rangers drive though fairly frequently.
    Beckleys RV is just down the road and there is a nice winery as well near Beckleys. The winery has a great view of the mountains and have bands in the summer. It was great sitting around, sipping some wine and nibbling on a bit of food. They get alot of people from the campground on rainy weekends. There are a few hiking trails as well within the state park.

I am curious about your statement that pets are allowed in the day use area, they are not allowed in the lake area. Is there a different day use area you were referring to?

3. jenventola

jenventola New Member

Good to know re: Houck area. I love the Manor area, but would be nice to be able to walk to the lake and falls, and not deal with the traffic getting into the park. As far as pets go, I know that they are allowed in the day use/picnic shelter area at Manor, which is was I was referring to. Sorry, I should have clarified. Looking at their website, looks like they are also allowed in the day use area in Houck; just not on the sandy portion of the beach. Pretty typical for MD state parks.