Curious about your tow speed

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by DaveWo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Normally you'll find a code on the sidewall of the tire and can look it up here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

soft 17 likes this.
  3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

You sure can tell when the decide to enforce the 55 limit on campers at the beginning of summer! Ill do maybe 58 when towing a trailer. With a CDL the fines are too steep to play around.

4. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

They (CHP) will look the other was to about 60. I hang with the big rigs. If they are pegged at 55 'ol Smokey is on the prowl. I had to go to Bakersfield on Friday taking 99 South in Kern County (McFarland area) I was cruising at 70 (no trailer in tow) and got passed by an 18 wheeler. Talk about rolling the dice. It was weird last year I went to UT with my pup. Doing 65 on the 15 and getting passed by trucks like I was doing 55 in CA. Weird feeling.

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Is this posted, or are you just expected to know it?

6. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Yes it is posted. Older sign setups will have 2 signs in series. The first will be the "normal" vehicle speed whatever it happens to be. Then you'll have a "AUTOS WITH TRAILERS / TRUCKS" speed limit. Newer setups will be three signs in series. First normal then the next two I forget their wording. The last one will say "All vehicles when towing". You'll only see these when the "normal" speed limit is greater than 55.
    [​IMG]

Halford likes this.
  7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Thanks!

8. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

California also has a "Basic Speed Law." You can't drive faster than conditions safely allow for. And that depends on the opinion of the guy with the badge. Residential, school and business districts are also 25MPH. Schools are "When Children are Present." Doesn't matter day or time. If there's some kind of event going on at the school, slow down.

Halford likes this.
  9. Halford

Yea what brwarrior said.... Like i said, it is rarely enforced. I go around 65 and maybe 70 on flat areas.

10. DebbieR

DebbieR New Member

I keep it safe 60 and do 55 when there are strong winds.

soft 17 likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Several years back, my Dad had a heart attack while driving his pickup on the interstate. He had a friend with him who was able to keep control of the truck and get it pulled over safely.

As my Dad was always a speeder, I realize how scared his passenger was. I'm just grateful he wasn't towing his 5er that day.

I always think about that now, especially when I tow. I make sure that I am driving a safe speed regardless. And that means a speed that I can control with one hand and while in extreme pain - at least enough to be able to get off the road safely.

12. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 Member

In Idaho the limit is 80 on the Interstate for all cars, not semi's. The semi's usually run at 70-75. I see trailers of all sizes, including the bigger 5th wheels going 80-90 every day. Idaho also allows triples, so you will see a truck towing two trailers at those speeds also. I don't agree with that. I tend to tow around 65-70 on the Interstate and 55-60 on two lane highways. Unforeseen things happen too quickly to give you time to react and avoid them. i.e. an animal or chunk of tire in the road. The time saved is not that much, not to mention the fuel savings.

13. Garrity

Garrity Member

My tires are rated to 81mph, but I will never go that fast. In the straight flat highways I usually tow at 65-70. In the mountains I keep it at 55-60 unless the speed limit signs indicate lower. Arizona highway speeds are mostly 65 in town and 75 outside of town.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  14. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I always tow at around 58 (California). I agree with brwarrior- I've towed in Utah at 70 and been blown by, in Arizona, some sections are 75, I could never tow at that speed, it's just too scary. So held the right lane and "poked along" at 68 or 70

Garrity likes this.
  15. Halford

McFlyfi - what is Coleman Highlander Niagara?

16. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

After Coleman and Fleetwood re united on the Coleman brand (2008? 2009?) Coleman named the highwall series "Highlander", i.e. "Highlander Avalon", "Highlander Niagara". @GreyFox could probably give you the exact rundown on it.

Halford likes this.
  17. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I’m going to diplomatically say I drive the speed of traffic. My Volvo XC90 V8 actually gets better mileage doing so than my usual combined city/highway average (heavy suv and lots of low speed city time)

I have a wireless pressure monitoring setup on the trailer tires and “bearing buddies” to add in some grease if the hub seems to be warming up any.

18. Halford

Gotcha.

19. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

65-70mph and maybe bit more to pass a semi if the conditions seem ok.

20. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Usually flow with traffic up to 80
    but won’t go over that. Tires are rated for that and I also check them at every stop. Also I’m always looking at condition of tires. We go out a lot so I don’t worry so much about rot, but next year is year 3 for these so I’ll be replacing them no matter how they look. I know 5 is the average but I’m willing to pay for piece of mind.