Curious about your tow speed

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by DaveWo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Here in Ontario i don't know if it's a law or just common courtesy ( and sense) but you should always stay in the right lane(S) except to pass .

2. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

Here are the things I have found regarding driving too slow:

Here is an image of state by state left lane driving law (I tried to insert image, but no love):

http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left+lane-passing-laws-a-state+by+state-map

[​IMG]

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/slow-drivers-can-get-ticketed-too-carinsurance

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

And this from the ADOT traffic instruction PDF:

Impeding Traffic
    Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving too fast. Remember to drive in the right lane and allow faster moving vehicles to pass whenever you are driving slower than traffic around you. If you become
    lost or disoriented, pull off the roadway instead of slowing your vehicle.

3. kpic

kpic New Member

He'll probably take someone else with him.

4. steved

steved New Member

Most states have a "stay right, pass left" law...albeit, rarely enforced.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I generally drive the speed limit.

4 lane highways, hit 6th and set the cruise.

Sure I get passed by the 80 MPH crowd on the four lane but I am fine going 65-70 MPH

2 lane highways, usually slow and varying speed limit, so I don't bother with cruise, usually go 50 to 60 MPH.

If I get behind someone slower? That's what boost and downshifting are for. I rarely get passed on 2 lane highway. I am not the "moron with the RV holding traffic up" (though sometimes I get stuck behind the aforementioned moron until it's safe to pass)

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

He drives a Hummer. He's invincible, remember?

Kpic -you never told us. You didn't put a hitch on your Vette. Please say you didn't...

7. kpic

kpic New Member

No I didn't, but we did spend 5-10 minutes positioning it to appear it was towing. [;)] I enjoy laughing. Although it is rated for 2K, it is all aluminum framework, composite springs, and IMO, not a TV. This CG is on a nice road to come back with the Corvette and play whoosh and blur.

A co-worker motorcycle camps with one of those little light weight campers. In his experience inflating to max psi and the camper is all over the road. He lowers the pressure until tire temperatures rise, then adds a few psi. He said it tows better and the center of the tread doesn't wear prematurely from over inflation.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Cruise control is set at 63. Speed limit is 55 and I can get away with it...63. Speed limit 65...I am doing 63. Speed limit 70...I am doing 63. Ride in the right lane and you can pass me in the left. Wave as you go by. Without the camper, I am doing 78.

9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Is he using car tires? They should absorb the road impacts better and help with stability. Also, does the trailer have shocks?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

10. kpic

kpic New Member

I don't know the answer to either questions. If I see him tomorrow at work, I'll ask. He is the meticulous and thorough type so he's in the very believable category.

I ride but never had the desire to tow with my bike.

11. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I've read most of these with interest as this will be the first time we take the PUP out onto the Interstate for multiple hours. Though the speed limit is 70 mph, after reading everything here I think I'll read the tire rating and then adjust to how she feels on the road. I've had it up to 65 on some 2 lane roads but this will be the first for longer strictly highway ride.

Thanks for the info everyone.

12. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

It is the law in Ontario, sort of. The offense is "Impeding the flow of traffic". There was a challenge to the law once, a group of people decided to drive down the road at the speed limit side by side. They were ticketed, fought it and lost.

Once a year there is a province wide blitz on it, usually in the spring. They target people doing the speed limit in the passing lane, especially when there are cars behind.

My understanding is that this is heavily enforced at the Autobahn in Germany.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I've heard the arguments from both sides but one indisputable fact remains, speeding drivers are always first to arrive at the scene of an accident.

[2C]

bob barnes likes this.
  14. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

It's not "speed" that is the problem. It's bad drivers. Race car drivers "speed" all the time. Not all of them crash.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

But when they do. they do it good ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTNuMlFMln8

bob barnes likes this.
  16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Although not posted enough, you have to move over if there is vehicles on the shoulder ... One thing I noticed on our vacation, driving in 6 different States, the "move over....State law" signs are spaced evenly just like the speed signs...

There are a lot of laws / rules of the road most folks in Ontario have NO idea about... like, the "on" ramp and lane is to be used to get to highway speed... move over one lane when a vehicle is entering the highway (so they can get to speed) and the keep right except to pass ... these three are the common most ones that majority of Southern Ontario drivers have no idea about ...

17. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

There was some good air on that one!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

18. kpic

kpic New Member

Took me a while to run into him, he is using trailer tires and it has torsion axles.

When a tire is inflated to its max, the contact patch is small. As a PUP weighs more than a motorcycle trailer, I see his point.

19. Yuma

Yuma New Member

I keep it to a Max speed of 65 when towing.

20. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

bob barnes likes this.