Curry Hammock SP vs Long Key SP

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Dammitjim, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

I'm debating on #1 if we should make a trip to the keys at the beginning of July... Some cousins are camping at Long Key for 3 nights and it has sparked our interest. I have a couple of things to throw in the equation to try to figure out if we should go, and if we do go, if we should go to Long Key or Curry Hammock.
    If we wanted to get straight to Long Key, it would be about a 5 1/2 hour trip. I am thinking about stopping at the in-laws on the way there, but that only breaks up the drive to 2 hours and then 3 1/5 hours from there. When I say stop, I mean spend the night.
    Then there is the question about Long Key vs Curry Hammock. Long Key only has availability for 2 nights, but Curry Hammock has 3. If we go to Long Key, we are with our cousins (if we even get a site close to theirs), but the stay would be only for 2 nights and we are thinking about driving to Key West. Then if we stay at Curry Hammock, there is availability for 3 nights, but all by ourselves. I don't know if it even matters that Long Key has sites that back up to the water and Curry Hammock looks like a parking lot with beach access.
    Anything else I should be considering?
    Thanks!

2. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

We have reservations at Long Key in December... Let us know how you liked it. I liked (from website) the Long Key sites because they look like you have your own private beach in front.

3. kelknight84

kelknight84 New Member

We will be in Long Key in July maybe we will see you! It is our first time there so can't be of much help on which is better.

4. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I want to go back to Long Key. Love it there!

5. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

How do you compare it to Curry Hammock?

6. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

I have a reservation for Sept 13th at Long Key. I like them both. Curry is smaller but more private.. They have about 20 or 25 sites. I forget. The sites don't have individual beach access like Long Key, but, about 7 or 10 of them are on the shore. The sites are separated from the shore by vegetation. But you can see the shore from the site.

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Jim...I've never been to Curry Hammock. The lone SP in the Keys that we haven't stayed at. Thinking about booking there just to say we stayed at all of them. Once you stay at Long Key, it is hard to stay anywhere else!

8. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Great! Thanks to all for any info provided. We ended up giving up on the keys and we are just going to go to Oscar Scherer with some friends. I'm looking forward to exploring that State Park. Honestly, one thing I didn't like was that I was going to be spending $180 in gasoline just driving there and back!
    I think I'm going to plan a trip to the keys for next year. Still trying to figure out what the best time of the year is to go there... meaning not much rain, the least amount of bugs and while the water is still warm :D

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We enjoy Long Key also. Kids fish and snorkle and explore along the shore. Go every year!