"Cursed" Camper - Rotted Front storage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Sudz, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , so replace whats rotted. Then remove the old sealent and re seal. It looks to be in the front, so it has to be coming in somewhere around the front dimond plate. Use a polyurethane baised caulk, like dicore.

2. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Thanks for you quick response. Problem is I caulked (Geocel) the white plastic moulding where it meets the aluminum panel, however the water goes over it still to the wood. That's why I was thinking of installing a drip edge to stop the water before it gets to the wood floor. So I put the folded duct tape along the bottom temporarily to see if it would stop the water and look at putting a more permanent drip edge, such as the eze channel I linked before.

Going to run some water on it tonight with the hose and see what happens.

3. Sjm9911

Maybe try some eternabond tape. Span the area, try that for now. I would try to dry it out first, otherwise youll trap the moisture in.

4. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Yeah, maybe I can get the eternabond tape to go from the aluminum panel to the frame, over the moulding and wood. Does it stick to the wood, as long as it is dry. Do you have a brand you like to use, I've seen on amazon but seems pricey. It's taking forever to dry it out, was going to put some epoxy resin on the soft wood under the heater, not going to try and take that out.

Would Gorilla Glue Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape work is that the same thing as eternabond?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  5. Sjm9911

It will stick to anything in my experience. Another option would be to loosen the bottem of the dimond plate and putting in like aluminum flashing underneath.

krustywalnuts likes this.
  6. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Duh, I just realized Eternabond is a brand name.

Great idea about the flashing under the diamond plate and moulding! The plastic moulding just has a few staples into the plywood which I can pull out and seal with the Geocel. Going to check out my local homedepot if I can find a roof flashing or drip edge to work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Good work on the storage box.....BTW is it just me or do they all leak?
    I sure see a lot of threads on leaky storage boxes.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Thanks. Yeah if only I knew this before buying it I would have paid more attention.

So far struck out a HD. Looks like I only need about a 1 1/2 in wide piece of flashing to tuck under the white moulding and the frame, not sure if I can get this at the big box stores. Trying Lowes this afternoon.

9. Sjm9911

In the siding area, they do sell a roll of trim aluminum. Probably way more then you need, and ypu could use a board or 2 to bend it how you need it. Or just find a siding gutter place that has a break and have them bend you 1 peice.

10. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

IMG_20210719_083119.jpg IMG_20210719_083123.jpg IMG_20210719_083130.jpg IMG_20210719_083137.jpg Ended up finding a J channel that I was able to cut and slide under the plastic molding and butt up against the frame, a bit of a a pain but got it to work. Fiber glassed the patch area joints and around the hot water tank. Not the best job but hopefully it will hold up for years. Here's some pictures.

The black paint the manufacturer used on the plywood, do you know if it is special waterproof paint. Saw some at HD in the roofing section but it was $30 a can?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

I had some flat black paint kicking around so decided to paint it, was reading some other threads about wanting the wood to breath.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Augh, we just got back from camping for 7 days and the ride home was 3 hrs of driving rain. The storage bin was wet in the two outside corners and some stuff in the back right was wet. I noticed the back right wall was wet. Thinking the gasket for the storage door isn't sealing, maybe the water is blowing by. Any ideas to replace the gasket? Also wondering if somehow the water is blowing through the gasket on the top door, not sure where I can source that? Only other areas I'm thinking is to caulk around the side lights. Also there is a small gap between the roof where it meet the trailer, wonder if somehow it could get in.

13. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

I have a 2017 model of the same trailer (bought unused from dealer last year), the front storage box has been a major pain, such a poor design. Indeed the lid gasket does not mate up with the front lip of the box opening, thus when driving in the rain the water just blows up into the box. The dealer tried to fix it by raising up the front lip a bit, but it still doesn't mate up. You can tell by lying in the box and closing the lid and can see that the gasket doesn't mate up with the lip, and if it is bright outside you may see other open areas too. I am thinking about installing a second gasket below the original one (when lid is open it is below) and that could end up sealing the front lip. I also noticed an area on the side that has a gap between the opening lip and the gasket. I just sealed at the bottom of the diamond plate between the diamond plate and the trim the runs horizontally, not sure if water can get it there, but if it can why doesn't it come sealed from the factory? I'm thinking of running a strip of waterproof tape also as the caulking will probably not hold if there is a lot of movement between the diamond plate and the trim strip. Either way, these things are terribly designed, would much rather the slide out stand-alone storage box, at least it can't damage the trailer. Oh ya, i also found a bunch of hairline fractures in the box just behind the lid hinge, put some big pieces of waterproof gorilla tape over those areas. My guess is the whole box will be covered in tape in the next few years.

14. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

I'm with you about the terrible design. The problem is you don't know its leaking until it's too late, in my case anyways, now I know where to look. I've left the linoleum floor loose until I'm sure there is no more leaks. I ended up sealing the bottom of the diamond plate at the floor where it meets the plastic molding with flashing and caulking. However, I think you are on something, where the diamond plate meets the plastic molding for the top cover. if that's where you are taking about. I'm sure driving rain can get up and under that molding, will caulk and try and find some gorilla tape as well. How about the side door did you have to seal that too, trying to find a gasket for that?

Also found this Trim-Lok seal with bulb to replace what the the previous owner had installed. $70 dollars seems like a lot, my wife is getting tired of me spending money on trailer. We just had a tire blow out on the same trip and had to buy two more tires, thank god I had the tools to replace it. Would definitely make sure for next time that the spare has air and the correct tools. Was lucky to get the lugs off, when I went to take the other tire off at home couldn't budge it, had to use a long pry bar.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...2&pd_rd_w=YENcF&pd_rd_wg=noTDV&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Actually, I was talking about the bottom of the diamond plate, where it meets the trip, but now that you mention it, i'll be sealing the top edge too! My side door is fine so far.... I ordered some 1/4" thick high density foam tape to put on the lid, so the front lip will sit on it instead of the factory gasket, that should take care of the lid, but i'm sure there are a million other places that water will eventually get in. If I had known how much trouble these boxes were i don't think i would have got a trailer with one.... I see it is going to be a constant project for the life of the trailer....

16. Sjm9911

Take a hose to it, do one section at a time and look inside to see whats wet. That way you know what to seal. Hope you getbit sorted soon.

17. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Yeah, you should really check the top of the diamond plate. I could stick my fingernail underneath between the plastic molding for the top and the plate. The paper backing on the back of the diamond plate is getting wet, mainly at the bottom though. Sure that it is where the water was blowing in, time well tell. Thought mine was the bottom too, but now I'm wondering.

Agree, I'm having buyers remorse.

18. krustywalnuts

krustywalnuts New Member

Yeah tried that before and thought it is was okay, will try again.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. JennG

JennG Member

So has anyone tried the 'slurry' on the storage? I have a latch that is split and almost broken entirely off, ordered this ABS plastic repair kit from Quarical Products. Guy at my dealership told me to caulk the cracks with Quad but said it wouldn't fix the latch b/c it doesn't expand.

20. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Front boxes are notorious for leaks. I replaced the floor on my Coleman Bayside's front box, but still had a leak. After I put a strip of Eternabond tape across the joint between the front panel and the box, the leak was fixed. Not pretty, but it worked.

Sjm9911 likes this.