"Cursed" Camper - Rotted Front storage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Sudz, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Just put a thick bead of Lepage Quad Max on the joint between the front of the box and the top of the diamond plate panel. Sounds like based on theseus's experience this should help to prevent leaks. In fact I don't think there is anywhere else on the box now that isn't a sealed joint. Once i get the box lid issue fixed i'm hoping it will be water tight. I bought some closed cell weather stripping to put on the lid, just behind the factory gasket, so that the lip of the box opening will press up against the stripping, instead of just going behind the gasket. It isn't perfect, but even a new gasket wouldn't work as the gasket is already installed correctly in its track on the lid, I don't think it would stick to the lid properly if i put it half in half out of the track.

2. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Was poking around under the trailer, my floor is soft at all 4 corners, and along the leading edge. It is still under warranty so my dealer is going to contact Viking to see what to do. I believe it is a design defect, the corners have a strip of plastic trim that goes into the metal trim, it acts as a rain gutter and pours all the collected rain right into the corners of the wooden floor, for it to sop up like a sponge. I pulled the ends of those strips off the trailer so that the rain will be directed to the ground instead of the wooden floor, but really it is too late anyway, the wood is already soft enough to poke a finger through in the corners. I'll see if i can post some pics.

3. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

4. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Well... Viking decided that since i caulked the trim 3 days ago that is what caused the rot, because to water that drips down the diamond plate can no longer hit the weeping holes at the bottom of the trim. It hasn't even rained, but apparently wood can rot due to caulking being applied in dry weather. I guess they have no way of believing me that i didn't caulk it a year ago when i bought it, but even still, can that much rot happen in one year?

5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe that that kind of rot can happen in 3 days. And how is the front supposed to affect the back corners? What did the dealer say?

6. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Right, exactly!!! Not possible. But yet Viking has washed their hands of the design flaw because the see that I put calking there. I even sprayed a bunch of water on the box and only a few drops ever touched the wood. No way it has anything to do with anything but a design flaw. They even had the nerve to say they have been making their trailers like this for years so they would never rot unless you put caulking there... I don't think they realized they just admitted to fault... duh.... that is why everybody's boxes rot out!!!!!

7. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

On my travel trailer I'm required to recaulk and seal roof, windows, hatches, corners to keep the warranty. I guess they aren't looking for repeat customers.

8. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Took the marker lights off tonight. 100% most of the water is getting in from the lights. The wood around the hole where the light wiring enters the trailer was soaked and rotted. I was amazed to find that Viking does NOT seal the lights!!!!! The put some soft foam, but that stuff is not waterproof at all, you can see where the water leaked in by the dirt marks on the foam. Insane! No wonder these boxes rot out all the time. I am totally amazed that they can get away with not sealing the lights on the storage box, which directly causes the floor to rot out as the water leaks down from the lights right to the floor. I am trying to dry everything out without pulling up the linoleum, but that could take ages since the water is trapped between the subfloor and the linoleum. To top of the sub floor is nice and soft, fortunately the bottom isn't in most places (except the corners) so i am hoping the floor has some strength left to it once everything dries.
    Such a shame, if they had just put some sealant on the lights the box would likely be nice and dry.

ROY EHRICHS likes this.