Curtain Replacement for 1999 Coleman Niagara without sewing

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by karanita, Apr 7, 2014.

1. karanita

karanita New Member

I have seen alot of topics on replacing the PUP curtains, but most involve sewing. Anyone have other inexpensive ideas on the best way to replace curtains without the use of a sewing machine?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

IIRC, some have used fusible tape or no-sew adhesive to make new curtains. Some have cut off the bottom of the old curtains, and used the top to attach new fabric onto, though I don't remember if they sewed or used a no-sew method. Some have bought curtains at Target or Walmart, for example, and attached them to the original tops. If they coordinate with an existing valance and that's in good shape, that would mask the seam.

There are some older threads here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=79.0

3. karanita

karanita New Member

Thanks so much for the link and your response. It is very much appreciated as I need all the help I can get. :)

4. sherryann2922

sherryann2922 never cry over anything that can be fixed money...

Karanita, do you have curtains in your camper now? My '97 Jayco had the original seafoam rags hanging from the windows, holey, nasty, and just didn't feel clean no matter how much I washed them. Have a sewing machine, but haven't pulled it out in years, so like you wanted to do no-sew. Scoured the internet and put together ideas from several sites.

Took all the old ones down and today I did some measuring and found they were all the same size and the little slide-on clippies for the track were still on them. Based on the yardage I would need, I found 3 queen sized sheets at WalMart for $11.47 each. Buying fabric for that much was not in my budget.

I was able to cut 4 "curtain" panels from each sheet. I ironed tiny hems to the unfinished sides and used fabric glue (actually, several different brands) to finish off each panel. Then I spread out one of the old curtains and laid a panel, right side up, on top of it. (Be sure the clippies are on the back side.) Glued the new curtain to the header of the old curtain. Staples were also involved, but they don't show and I have no problem using more if the glue doesn't hold. [;)]

Needed 12 window treatments for windows and bunkends. Was able to reuse the old curtains, clips, and now have the added warmth and darkening for the camper. I am sick of looking at them after all day, but what an improvement and I haven't even hung them in the Pup.

May just get brave enough to move onto the cushions, but will be painting the interior first. BTW, the sheets/new curtains are lilac and I think I will go with yellow and gray for other accent colors. Oh, and I also plan to put down one of those wood-looking vinyl plank floors, too. Good luck, and feel free to message me if this isn't clear. [:D]

Cheers,
    sherry

5. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Thanks for the help. If you have pics I would like to see how to overlap the new material onto the original curtain. Thanks

6. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Using the method sherryann described with the exception of using iron on fusible web in addition to the glue. I would talk with someone at Joanne's fabric or Michael's

7. caro

caro New Member

I have a 2000 Jayco Eagle and I am in the process of replacing curtains. I bought regular curtain panels and turned them sideways, they are a perfect length. I am using three 54" and one 63" of a solid color. I am going to try Velcro to attach them to the curtain tabs (hopefully this will work - I read it on here somewhere). No sewing involved here.

8. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

has anyone ever used those eclipse black out curtins to replace the old ones? i just wonder if those would help on the temp inside also.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member