Curtains for older pop up

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by sweetie67, Jul 17, 2010.

1. sweetie67

sweetie67 New Member

I just bought an '86 Jayco J pop up camper and there was no curtains in it. There is the track for the curtains tho,so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get some of the hooks that would go in the tracks. Im making curtains for it but dont know where to get the hooks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Stiiinatent

Stiiinatent seasond camper now with 2 cubs

Sweety67
    You can try your local RV dealer (sometimes not so local) if you don't have this option try these guys: http://www.jrprvinc.com/index.php?page=home I'm not sure if they sell direct to the public but they are in my RV catalog you could contact them and ask for a "local" retailer. Or once you figure out what style guide/glides you need you could google the item number. Hope this helps

3. sweetie67

sweetie67 New Member

Thanks Ill see what i can find.

4. Zamboni

Zamboni Member

I think I have some. I will check. If I do, you can have them

5. sweetie67

sweetie67 New Member

Really? I would really appreciate that! Ive looked everywhere and cant find what kind i need. I'm putting velcro on it for now till I can find some.

6. Zamboni

Zamboni Member

Yeah I think they are in the camper, my brothers gonna use it this weekend for his class reunion, I will look inside when I set it up for him.

7. Joshjani

Joshjani Member

We had curtains with many of the slides missing from them. I too had a hard time finding the type of slides that my curtains required. So we replaced our curtains altogether with modified bed sheets! We bought sheets to fit our bunkends and windows, and sewed a simple pocket in them. I then took some bungee cord and strung it taughtly to hooks mounted above the windows. Essentially, I made a curtain "rod" out of the taught bungee, strung through the pocket sewn in the bedsheet. The curtains slide on the cord open and closed, and block the light quite effectively, as they are folded in half to provide two layers.
    That's just an idea that worked for us- we got the least expensive sheets we could at Wal-Mart, and so for about $30 we replaced all our curtains with something pretty effective. Not decorator-approved, I'm sure, but inexpensive, perfectly functional and pretty easy.

bren32025 likes this.
  8. compressor

compressor New Member

I have a 1989 Rockwood and just had a similar issue. I couldn't find the plastic sew on ones to replace the ones missing on my curtains. I was able to find Airstream Carriers at Camping World that fit my track. They sew on and will work just like the original all plastic ones.

9. sweetie67

sweetie67 New Member

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Ill look at Camping World when i go to Indiana the end of this moth!

10. mrbill

mrbill Central Coast of California

I too have an 86 Jayco J (click on the camera under my name for photos). If you still need them, you can get the tabs here: Curtain Tabs. It's where I got mine.

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Check out this post by Rot Happens. I still think it's a brilliant idea...

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=36024.msg239678#msg239678

12. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

Sew buttons on the curtains you are making that will slide in the track...inexpensive, but it can be a pain to find the right size. If you have time though..it is worth it!

13. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Hey

I'm cheap. I know a lot of people struggle to get and then sew on buttons and tabs etc.

My camper didn't have curtains. ANY. I bought some tab top curtains on clearance a Wal Mart. My wife hemmed them.

[​IMG]

They are suspended by running bungee (bought by the foot) through the tabs and attaching the bungee with bent S hooks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No I don't have the valences, but the camping neighbors don't see my JUNK when I change!

Maybe it'll work your camper too.

14. candleems

candleems Member

Nice solution.

15. Cliffbeach491

Cliffbeach491 New Member

Most of the older pop ups from the 70's 80's and 90's use Curtain tabs. All the Coleman's(till 1996) Viking and Palomino's use them and others, Go to Amazon.com and type Curtain Tabs in the search box. i found them on there for around $2.50 a box.Camping world carries them also. Then go to Wal-mart and pick up the short sets of curtains they sell for half size windows. They fit pop up bunk ends and windows perfect . Since they have a seam along the top and not those loops the tabs are so easy to sew on by hand or machine . You need about 10 tabs per panel. After i was done they look like they came with the camper! Plus they are only $15 for a set and come in 5 diffrent colors!

16. nikki b

nikki b New Member

I love this idea I searched and searched for an idea for my curtains. Currently I have binderclips holding up some old sheets. I was looking for a solutions to where the curtains would slide open and close.

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

18. nikki b

nikki b New Member

Thanks