Cushion Fabric

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by KiteSquid, Aug 8, 2016.

1. KiteSquid

KiteSquid New Member

Much to Kitesquid's dismay, I have become enamored with the idea of redecorating our pop-up. I think he regrets showing me the PopUpPrincess blog. Too late now...

For dinette and sofa cushions, I am leaning toward a 100% cotton upholstery fabric. There's an outdoor fabric that I like too. It's 100% polyester and the usual outdoor fabric treatment. Both are washable. I'm leaning toward an envelope style of covering so you can pull off the covers and wash if needed.

Is the outdoor fabric necessary or overkill? Is it worth the extra cost? Also, I've read where some have used shower curtains, duck cloth, painters' drop cloths, even sheets. What did you use and why? Are you satisfied with the results?

Thanks -- MrsSquid

2. KiteSquid

KiteSquid New Member

This is KiteSquid, MrsSquid is apparently helping me to share an account.

MrsSquid has taken to modifying our PUP and I don't want to stifle her!!!

Happy wife = Happy life.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I used cotton canvas, a rayon blend, and some cotton or cotton-blend upholstery fabric to make covers and slip covers for our pup cushions. They all worked well, but I was careful to pre-wash them all. The cotton canvas tended to shrink a lot, so I washed and dried it a couple of times before cutting and sewing it. We tested it before making zippered covers for all the cushions in our first pup, and it shrank at least 4" over a 36" cut.
    Zippered covers: [​IMG]cushions 8 x 10 by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

Slips covers (pinned on) for our second pup, using last of the same canvas, and the last of the blue fabric: [​IMG]seat by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

To me think the type of fabric you plan to use also depends on how hard you are on the cushions. In my case I have between 2-3 dogs with me and my outdoorsy self. so therefore I plan to look for a fabric that is more durable and easy to clean with some possible water resistant capabilities. I've been tossing around marine vinyl or a heavy duty shower curtain myself. I also think the type of fabric you use depends on if you are making a type of slip cover or more of a permanent cover. The more permanent cover you would probably want a fabric that won't dye in the sun or stretch out too much. A slip cover style you probably don't want a fabric that can wrinkle much but other than that you have a bit more leeway with fabric types. [2C]

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

we used fabric shower curtains. It's durable and lots of great patterns and it comes in the right length for the long cushions.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Honestly, I have absolutely no clue what my upholstery fabric is made of.

The first time in my life that I ever used a sewing machine, was when I got my previous camper. I hated the upholstery on the cushions so I got some estimates on having covers made. The estimates - not including fabric - were around $60 per cushion! I decided it was time to learn to sew. My daughter gave me a sewing machine that someone had given her. I still use that today.

Since I had never sewn, I chose the cheapest upholstery fabric I could find, that I liked the color of. I ended up buying at Walmart clearance for only $2 per yard. I thought there was a possibility I may screw it up all up anyway, so went cheap.

I ended up completely amazing myself, and my family, by turning out some really professional looking covers on my first try. Rather than zippers, I made them with Velcro sewn in the long side on the back. I did pre-wash the fabric to make sure it would do all the shrinking it needed to do - it didn't.

That cheap fabric got us through many years of camping and always looked fantastic and washed well. So, with my new camper, I once again headed for Walmart and picked up some $3.97 yard solid color for my new cushions. Once again, I have no idea what the fabric is made of, nor do I care. [;)] It looks good and does the job.

I did pay much more for my curtain fabric, as I really like Michael Miller's retro camping series from a few years back. I wasn't able to get my first pick in style as it's out of production and couldn't find enough of it. I did get my second pick at a reasonable $7.89 yard on sale.

Being a bargain shopper, I would have to really, really be in love with some fabric to pay premium prices for it. The curtains on our last camper were made from sheets that I loved the pattern of, with backing. Cheap and looked great. I got so many compliments on them. [:D]

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Since I am not qualified to use a sewing machine (nor do I own one), I have been looking at this site for covers. Decent selection, prices not bad (IMHO).
    http://www.campermattress.com/index.html

8. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I used a sturdy, yet smooth Sateen-esque upholstery/drapery cloth that I got on clearance at JoAnn. It's only me camping, so I went for looks and comfort over function. I have spilled on it, and it wiped up pretty easily.
    Like jmkay1 said, it's wholly dependent on how much wear and tear they'll receive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Thanks everyone. After agonizing over fabric for hours and tormenting my poor husband with "Do you like this one?" over and over again, we took the plunge and bought fabric this weekend. We were driving through Burlington, NC, and stopped at Loomcraft's fabric outlet store. The price was the same as fabric.com. But, we didn't have to pay shipping and I could see and feel the fabric. Now to get busy and make the cushion covers...that is after our next trip. : )

10. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Congrats on finding what you like for your camper! When we were trying to decide how to recover our cushions, I wanted to make sure that the fabric was sturdy enough to be camp-worthy yet comfortable and easy to wash when the time came. As our interior cabinets are white, I could go with a darker fabric (hiding dirt as long as possible) and started shopping with that in mind. After looking at all of the general use fabrics, it hit me that one of the best rough and ready fabrics was denim! It comes in lots of colors now but I chose a medium wash color so it wasn't too dark but would also hide stains fairly well. As this was my first sewing experience since high school Home Ec classes, it took a bit of pinning and figuring out but the best method for me turned out to be a simple slash envelope style with box corners for a better fit. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Happy Camping!

The Lady from Little Rock [:D]

11. Orchid

Well, apparently I had some serious beginners luck! I totally winged it on those first cushion covers. I had no idea what I was doing and never consulted any videos or instructional sites.

Here I am, many years later, messed up my current covers not once, but FOUR times. Thankfully, I'm still on the first one, trying to get it right before moving on to the others. I couldn't remember how I did it before. The first one fit, but the seams were not in the right place. Messed it up again before that night was over.

Sometime during my sleep, I remembered how I did it the first time, so woke up with new knowledge. Even so, managed to screw it up yet a third time. The corners looked very amateurish. I gave up and looked up a video. It was a completely different, but superior, method to what I had been doing.

So, while my cushions were soaking in the tub last night, I turned out a perfect cushion cover. Perfect, that is, until I realized that I forgot to account for the 3/4" thickness of the wood that has to go in under the foam. [:!]

Today is a new day. I will start this cushion cover for the 5th time. Wish me luck ... glad I have cheap fabric!

12. Orchid

Managed to mess up attempt #5 but only allowing for the 4" of foam and board once, rather than twice. [:(!]

Tomorrow, #6 begins and hopefully all will go well. If so, at least I'll have enough practice to get the other three correct the first time.