Custom Built Canoe Rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by colorado_camper, Jul 20, 2011.

1. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Testing complete and classified as successful! [:D]

Taken this afternoon at Georgetown, CO, about 45 miles west of Denver and at 8,500 feet. I was going to put the boat in the water but there were not any good places to float it from. The canoe appeared to just sit in place. There was no noticeable movement at all. I'm going to tweak this project with a few small adjustments but I think I can call this one 'good.' [Vo] Looking forward to two days on the water in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Very nice, and awesome looking spot to do some fishing or just straight paddling.

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Thanks, Wrench. That is a picturesque setting as long as you don't hear the interstate freeway (I70) which is about 100 yards behind where I'm parked! [TV] [TV] [TV] [TV]

As for fishing, I have ice-fished that lake and my fish finder told me that it is 8 feet deep.......... at all points. It also said there were fish in there but I've never caught one and, to my knowledge, neither has anyone else. Good job the scenery is nice!!

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Not really PUP related but I wanted to share this latest Red Green project I just finished this evening.

Canoe carrier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

Great idea! We are planning on purchasing a PUP with factory AC. I did not want to put the canoe on top of the camper because I was afraid it would damage the AC unit. This solves the problem! (We also don't want to carry it on top of our car because we have panoramic windows on top.) [SUN]

6. mkennedy01

mkennedy01 New Member

Very nice solutions!!!!

7. rynosurf

rynosurf New Member

You should figure out a way to have them fold down and double as bunk end supports.

8. Goldens

Goldens Member

Nice job on the the canoe rack. I have done a few red-green jobs myself, here is my canoe dolly made from some bicycle wheels. And yes some duct tape was involved, haha.

[​IMG]

9. squid14

squid14 New Member

Hello.

Do you think this type of rig would hold a 12’ Jon boat? It weighs about 250lbs. I would be mounting it on a 1985 Coleman Columbia. Any advice would be helpful.

10. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

No problem. Just be sure the mounting points on your frame can take the weight. The rear bumper mounts on most pups are terribly weak and need beefing up