Custom Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by SlaughterHouse, Feb 1, 2018.

1. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse New Member

We're restoring our '94 Coleman Rio and the cabinets were beyond repair. Most of them had been destroyed on the surface or waterlogged to the point of no return. We tore them all out and saved the sink unit just for reference. Has anyone made custom cabinets for their rig? What material did you use? What do you find more useful, cabinets or drawers? Any other suggestions would be super appreciated!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

There are plenty of treads on this subject but I will say that a lot of them use 2x4's cut in half for the framing. As for the paneling I have seen everything from Luan, knotty pine, bead board, FRP(fiberglass reinforced plastic sheets) and shiplap. This is the perfect time to make the pup yours where you are only limited to your wallet, imagination & crafting ability. I prefer draws because to get in a cabinet in a pup it means kneeling down to get anything in the back of said cabinet. At 25 i'm sure that's not to much of a big deal but for me 25 is a lifetime ago and it's not so easy to get back up!:D I hope this helps. There will be more folks along soon enuff. Happy camping & don't forget the pictures!!:smiley:[rly][:D]

EmilyW likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If I could change my pup cabinets, I would add more drawers, but probably add open shelves where you can organize some things and cabinets to hide the stuff you want to hide? Then again because I have the couch which stays in bed mode, cabinets there are just worthless unless I could find a easier way to access.

4. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I have drawers in my but thats a lot of wasted space. I recommend shelving and open spaces below the seats. Maybe have a bungii net to secure items while traveling. I hate pulling the cushions to get the items that are underneath. While your at it, if possible, put the refrigerator directly across from your door so you can load up food without popping up.

EmilyW likes this.
  5. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I had an 8’ Flagstaff pup. My sink—with it’s push-pump—was a waste of space, so I took it out. The curb-side cupboards consisted of 2 doors that opened to one open space with wheel well. My finished Reno gave me an L-shaped couch with added storage under the short side of the L, 6 drawers, and 6 cupboards.
    99E6804A-F926-484C-AC38-22AF6EFFE163.jpeg
    C7D5E2FB-9C95-4B61-9D6D-0A5982188EE4.jpeg
    I retrofitted Ikea Kallax bookcases (in birch)with the drawer and door inserts for the cupboards. I used the components from the Lack coffee table (birch for the top piece of the long side of my couch and for the seat back(adjacent to the couch) in the dining area

I made new counters and refinished my table to match. The floor is Allure cork from Trafficmaster, if I recall correctly. Recovered old cushions and made new one for the couch. Made new curtains from polyester shower curtains.
    E8088BF9-817D-4A43-B659-EAD72BECDB7D.jpeg

Loved doing it! Loved the finished design! Then I saw my first Aliner....so happy I was camping in it last year! That would have been a lot of opening/closing with wet canvas!

Have fun with yours!

EmilyW and VillaFederico like this.
  6. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I agree with PP's, I wish we had larger cabinet doors and/or open shelving. We have a decent amount of cabinet space, but with tiny little doors that make it hard to access. And the only way in to the dinette benches is through the top - removing the cushion and plywood top.

Also if I were redoing mine, I would definitely add a larger sink with two sides. We don't use our current sink because it is so small and shallow that you can't use it for much, certainly not washing dishes. If it were bigger, I think we would use the inside sink and not bring our separate outside sink table (just to reduce the number of items we are cramming in our van).

@Strawhouse your remodel looks great! Clever idea using the Ikea stuff!

7. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

--As mentioned above, cabinets without drawers are an issue! Creeping around on your hands and knees, peering into the unknown with a flashlight and poking around into the darkness is a hassle. I posted this before, but I swear by them in my house and my popup:
    --I have a pair of Rev-A-Shelves in one cabinet and a single in another. Works great! Pull out the drawer, find what you want with the light from the ceiling, and slide it back in! Consider how difficult it would be to remove my 'ammo' box (filled with batteries) from the rear of the cabinet. They even come with two stacked independent drawers. Easy to install. Shop around the prices vary considerably!
    DrawOut copy.jpg KitchenOnePut copy.jpg

EmilyW and jnc like this.
  8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I truly like the looks of the bottom drawer being split like that. Very nice!