custom cargo rack on coleman

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by khungerf, Jun 18, 2013.

1. khungerf

khungerf New Member

I am the latest owner of a 2000 coleman destiny Timberlake pop up. It is in great shape but I need/would like some roof storage.

I have done a fair amount of reading on this site and others and cannot find exactly what I am looking for. I see the sportRack option but it does not quite fit my needs.
    I don't plan on a lot of weight, 4 bikes or a couple lightweight canoes.

I would like to mount 4 cross bars on the roof. Each would span the width of the roof. I have seen these little 'A' frame things before I could use as holders but cannot find any for sale. There is a place in town that will build me the 8 I need for around $70 (seems pretty fair to me)

However, I am not sure how exactly to mount them. I have read that colemans have some specific mounting points along the edges of the roof. but I cannot find any reference in my manual for them.

I have found one place where someone drilled through the roof
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/2001-coleman-seapine-pop-up-camper-roof-rack.html
    But...if there are specific mounting points I would rather take advantage of that.

Also,
    If I mount right along the edge (which seems to have support already) I may not need the internal plate for support...or to even drill all the way through the roof. But I would need to KNOW I was getting into something solid.

I am SURE someone has done this before but I cannot find the information.

So.. Does anyone know if such specific mounting points exist?

Can I drill into the edge of the roof safely? Seems like it would safer to put in a through bolt with some big washers.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. sailingfree

sailingfree New Member

Before drilling any holes in the roof, I would see if using industrial tape would work. I used this, CS Hyde 3M 4941 Very High Bond Conformable Acrylic Foam Tape, to mount a solar panel on the roof.

3. khungerf

khungerf New Member

not to sound skeptical but, you would trust 4 bicycles (some costing over $2k) to this tape?

4. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Many of the Coleman/Fleetwood models have slotted rails on the roof for racks.

I've built PVC racks for mine.

Hope this helps,
    JR

5. steveandlisette

steveandlisette New Member

Curious to this as well. JRCLOCKS any way you could post pictures of your PVC ones you made?

6. khungerf

khungerf New Member

Not sure when Coleman started doing that but.. I do not have the rails. If I did, I am sure I would take advantage of them.

7. steveandlisette

steveandlisette New Member

I have the rails on mine, just want to see what others have done to use them, as low cost as possible

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

My husband installed this Swagman rack on our coleman popup:
    [​IMG]
    it seems to work just fine with bikes and our canoe
    [​IMG]

9. khungerf

khungerf New Member

JeepMama,
    That is very close to what I am looking to do! I think I can make a custom one that is better (and less $$ ) than the swagman.

My question is, how did he decide where to drill the holes?
    Are the holes all the way through the roof?

no roof leak issues, I assume?

Thank you for your response!

-Lee

10. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

I placed the rack were I did for weight reasons, I wanted to keep the weight between the axle and the tongue but not add too much extra tongue weight, So the rear bar is about over the axle and I spaced them so the bike wheels feel just about over the bars. The holes are through the roof it is screwed into the metal L-channel that runs on the inside of the pup, I used my stud finder to make sure I was over the channel when I drilled. I caulked the holes well along with the outer edges of the mounting brackets, we had some pretty good rain this past weekend while camping and I didn't notice any leaks.

Here are a couple of pictures of where the screws come through the l-channel, the rack feels very solid and handled the canoe and 2 bikes without any problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

My Coleman has the rack tracks for mounting Yakima landing pads or Thule Bases. The thing I like about them is you can mount the crossbars at any distance apart or add and subtract the quantity of cross bars depending on your needs. If I was going to mount a rack system on a bare roof, I would first mount rack slide tracks (like these shown near the bottom of the page). You can buy these from several different sources but the one I posted is the cheapest I've found. If you look in my photobucket albums, I have several pictures of my homemade cross member base plates. I would also try to mount the tracks over the wall brace channels like Jeepin dad.
    This is one of several pictures in my bikes, kayaks, and racks album.
    [​IMG]

12. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Here are a couple photos of two different racks that I built. They were both on Fleetwood's and attached to the factory rails on the roof. The rails allow you to slide the racks wherever you need them.

This rack was on our Sun Valley. We used it for 4 years and it went with the Camper when we sold it.
    [​IMG]

For our Niagara, I found some bike trays on Overstock.com, all 4 for $50. Couldn't pass it up. So I only had to make a PVC rack to mount the trays on and attach to the roof rails.
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up of where the rack mounts to the roof rail.
    [​IMG]

You can make PVC racks to haul about anything. I also carried my 12' Sailboat along with a couple bikes on the Sun Valley.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    JR

13. khungerf

khungerf New Member

Rhino Dave,
    I would like to take a look at your photo buckets for the track connectors.

Can you post a link?

Thanks,
    Lee

14. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Just click on the camera icon under my board name.

15. khungerf

khungerf New Member

Thank you.
    Those tracks/rails look like a good options and should prevent the need to drill all the way through the roof since there would be multiple connection points.

Did you make up your owns brackets to go in the track? or Find something that worked?

Thanks,
    Lee

16. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I made my own nut plates but they can be purchased if you wish to do so. They are Yakima landing pad nut plates. The Yakima ones come with the bolts which are metric.
    Can be purchased here.

17. aaronlohrer

aaronlohrer New Member

I just ordered this same setup at Overstock.com. I should be getting it next week and hope to get it installed before our next camping trip. I'll send pictures as I get them installed.

18. Chede

Chede New Member

I just ordered the Swagman bike racks and the pop up rails from Overstock.

I currently use a Swagman tip-down 4 place bike rack with the ball connected on the end of the rack so I can hitch up the pop up easily. This was from Overstock and it was ordered about 6 years ago. This works pretty well but we need more options/space for more bikes (we have a large family). Also, it will be nice to have the option of putting the carrier on top of the PUP instead of the truck (need a ladder and it is just so high up, it's difficult to get up there correctly

19. khungerf

khungerf New Member

Love to hear how the install goes. I still have not drilled holes in my roof.

20. Chede

Chede New Member

Installed Overstock.com Swagman pop up roof top rack and two sets of bike racks (purchased in sets of two). Major caulk on the outside. Might not look pretty but it will keep from leaking :) According to the Jayco book, weight limit/restrictions... weight is fine for racks and additional weight on the racks. It rained this morning and also have a camping trip planned in the next few weeks so I will let you know how it goes. The kit did come with additional mounting plates for inside but where we mounted it, they were not needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]