Custom Popup Conversion

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by peter gick, Aug 22, 2019.

1. peter gick

peter gick New Member

Here is how I turned a unloved Popup into my Hobby Job.
    I retired from a fabricating business and after a few years got board. I got an idea on what to do for my hobby job. I built this popup to use as my portable garage workshop.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but I should have scrapped the frame as I did the rotten/moldy camper walls and roof. Besides what you see in the pictures I had to reinforce the frame on the side with the two doors and change out the axle for heavier duty Timberon axleless suspension, and larger wheels with a higher weight capacity. The final weight with all tooling is 2200 lbs.
    The project took 2 months building it in my driveway that has a slope. it would have been 1/2 the time if I had a flat surface and more garage space so I can have welding and wood working setup at the same time.
    The helper you see in the last picture is my wife and we both really enjoy going to the market visiting with the families and petting the dogs. I even learned a couple stupid knife magic tricks for the kids to see.
    [nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3518 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3522 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3530 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3631 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3632 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3638 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3641 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc].[​IMG]IMG_3677 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_3704 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]IMG_4277 by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc][nobbc][​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 9.08.26 AM by Peter gick, on Flickr[/nobbc]

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Love a sharp tool. I've had to take a side grinder (it's all I could find on that job) to a table saw blade, so we cut make a cut or two.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Always liked to see these transformations. Nice work.
    There is a farmer that lives down the street from my favorite campground. Every day he would drive down through the campground selling fruits, vegetables, etc from his pickup. One day he pulls in with a popup converted much like you did here. He did beef up the lift system though.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Way cool!

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Great work

6. Lowcountry

Lowcountry New Member

Very nice job sir!

7. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Brilliant, scrolling down the pictures I wasn't expecting the end result, great job