Custom receiver hitch for bike rack on Flagstaff 228d

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Caravaner, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

Thanks for reminding me, was thinking about these a few weeks ago!
    Wasn't sure how/where to locate the TV's anti-sway attachment tab without a WDH (which I'm still considering, but so far the only <500lb ones I've found are $500+ while the oversized 1000lb+ ones are <$300 which is weird) but this would be the place to weld onto my existing hitch:
    upload_2019-11-20_7-36-57.png
    Cheers Rusty!

2. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

This is close to the lowest rated WDH I can find, and at a low ~55lbs including the anti-sway slider seems like a decent option.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pro-49901-Reese-Sway-Silver/dp/B004R305QU/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3T06QG31ED2UY&keywords=weight+distributing+hitch+with+sway+control&qid=1574257326&sprefix=weight+distr,aps,190&sr=8-17
    Question is whether a WDH is worth buying&installing, and then the added steps hitching/unhitching.
    I've measured the ground-to-wheel well height before and after hitching up and it's not a huge difference (~3/4" sag on rear, 1/2" rise on front) but to do it right should get the weight at each axle before and after.
    What do you guys think?

visual reference:
    75369217_10215148951172814_5005150394775502848_o.jpg

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I think it looks pretty good. Your sag and rise seem fine. I know it doesnt affect weight distribution but I ordered airbags to help squat and ride quality.

Caravaner likes this.
  4. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

cool. I've considered airbags but after the success of her (short) maiden voyage there's no rush to do anything to the TV. Never bottomed out and ride quality seemed fine, even when van was loaded up with ~350lbs of stuff in addition to 450lbs of people and dogs.
    Let us know how the airbag experiment goes! What's your TV?

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I have a 2wd (front wheel) Jeep Cherokee. It has independent rear suspension that is pretty soft. The jeep did well all summer and even towed to Florida and back (from Arkansas) without issue but there is a tad more sag than I like so $75 and had airbags shipped. I'll install them this winter.

Caravaner likes this.
  6. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

Custom receiver hitch still working great, and have to give a shout out to the Amazon seller I bought the bike rack from almost 2 years ago for $140. There's an aluminum "anti-wobble" assembly inside the rack's mounting bar that finally stripped out (after probably 30+ time taking it off/putting it on both the camper and the minivan, not very carefully cranking down on the main bolt).
    Never expected spare parts for this cheapo rack to be available, but called the phone number on the Seller's Amazon page and they directed me to their website where spares only cost $5, with free shipping. I ordered 2 :)
    Nice to be pleasantly surprised with a retail transaction.
    The bike rack seems to be OOS on Amazon at the moment, but only a bit more expensive on their website than I paid:
    https://bikepakmart.com/collections...ack-carrier-for-car-truck-suv-tilting-2-bikes
    Wouldn't hurt to order a spare "anti-wobble" kit at the same time:
    https://bikepakmart.com/collections...-2-bv-hr02-4-anti-wobble-kit-replacement-part

From our trip to Huntsville State Park last weekend:
    upload_2021-4-5_8-13-50.png