Customizable Camping checklist

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by adirondackcamper, Jul 24, 2020.

1. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for a customizable check list for trailer camping, one for things to bring. I used to use The Petersen checklist and loved it but is no longer online. There's plenty out there for tent camping but I can't seem to find one specifically for camping in a trailer.
    Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a droid and personally use keep and just made my own checklist. Because I have dogs I always have to remember their stuff as well. My camper is mostly prepacked so I don't need to worry about packing much other than clothes and food and one tub of camping gear. It's the dogs gear I tend to forget. As you mentioned most camping lists tend to revolve around tent camping with only people. Because my trips range from weekends chilling to week long kayaking trips I always need more or less gear not on a regular list. So for me a regular checklist would never work for me. To each their own and hope you find something that works for you. For me it's my meals I seem to always forget something and haven't found a list that works for me yet. Those dang condements, something you never really think about but oh so crucial.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I use to have a website that gave all kinds of camping checklists. Everything from what to look at when buying an rv to what to pack.. think I found it googling rv check lists...

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

This. Everyone has their own idea of the "perfect" checklist and no two will be the same so I made my own using Excel and just modify it from time to time as needed.

vaderhater22, Mamalise and Jack Sprat like this.
  5. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

I don't use a checklist, but have everything that doesn't stay in our camper in a shed all in one spot. Chairs, sleeping bags, pillows, cooler,outside carpet,genny,gas can,step ladder, extension cord. When we get our food items we put the refrigerated items in a box in the refer. and the dry items in a plastic container. Just have to pack our clothes and off we go. We do set the camper up a couple days before we go and go over items we need to replace. Like paper plates, plastic wear, paper towels etc... My wife puts clean sheets/pillow cases and towels in it too.

vaderhater22 likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I have a kerjillion checklists (in MS Word and in MS Excel) - I get sick of using them at times.

There is stuff that stays in the camper, stuff that stays in the camping closet until needed, stuff that stays in the garage until needed (mechanical and electrical) , and then there are consumables, and then clothing, and so forth. Then add the stuff for day hiking and photography (or star watching). And a few beers.

Attached Files:

Randy Miller likes this.
  7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I just use Google Keep. I don't need a checklist to remind me to bring food, but each trip usually has special needs like pew pew items or certain gear. What I will do is if I run out of something in the rig that needs to be replenished (TP, batteries, bug dope, gin, bitters, etc) I throw that in Google Keep so I remember to replenish that item.

Coming from an aviation background, I'm a fan of checklists, but I just rely on memorizing the boldface items.

Pommom70, Mamalise and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  8. Ripp

Ripp New Member

We use an app called Anylist. You can create lists for all kinds of things. For example, we have separate checklists for camping, music festivals (different needs), flights, home repair needs, to-do, etc.

Two other amazing things this app can do:
    Grocery Lists - customizable and links to Alexa - for example "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list"
    Recipes and meal planning- you can put all your recipes in this - can link ones you find online, and they'll populate into the app. When you want to make the recipe, all ingredients can be added to your shopping list.

vaderhater22 and Mamalise like this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have never made a camping checklist in my life other than a grocery list prior to the trip.
    If you have been camping long enough why would you need one.
    You devolop a rountine.
    Everything we take other than food and clothes and meds is already in the camper.
    Its not rocket science so why make it rocket science.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. When DW makes lists, it just means more stuff for me to schlep around.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

My wife makes lists, but it's usually for food to bring. Everything is in the camper already, minus food and clothing. We do make lists while camping to replenish stuff that stays in the camper. Dog stuff is my job to remember but it's the same each time. Only time stuff changes is when we go to the beach, then it's just adding boogie boards and a beach cart.

campfire Joe likes this.
  12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I let the wife handle food and it usually means we are bringing leftover food home and eating the the same thing the following week after we return home.
    She has things in the camper we have never used once but shes a sweetheart so i roll with it.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I did the checklists when I got my first trailer. It helped for hitching up, etc., but just became wasted for supplies as they stayed in the camper. I just learned to go through things the week before a trip and add anything used up to my grocery shopping list.

When I got the clipper, I gave up on lists. Instead I found RVMinders at camping world. They are basically slap bracelets with written reminders - you slap them on your steering wheel. When they wore out, I made my own. Things they remind me to do:
    ladder/steps
    lock roof
    stabilizers/chocks
    compartments/doors
    hookups
    propane on
    hitch/tow chains/7-pin
    light switch
    water pump

I do my setup/takedown, then hop in the tow vehicle and slap the appropriate bracelets on (for setup) or take them off (for takedown). You can add other reminders as needed such as solar, antenna, generator, and so on. Much easier than a written checklist, and creates a visual reminder before you drive off.

tecbiker, vaderhater22 and Steveo4090 like this.
  14. Steveo4090

So did you just get blank slap bracelets and write on them with a marker?

15. Toedtoes

Yep. Much cheaper than the preprinted ones. For under $10, I got enough bracelets for both the clipper and the FnR and a friend's clipper.

16. Steveo4090

I just found 42 blank white ones on amazon for less than 10 bucks...good idea!

17. Toedtoes

Awesome! I need to replace the clipper's as they were taken when it was stolen.

18. Steveo4090

Toedtoes likes this.
  19. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Member

I'm a Business Analyst/Project Manager by Trade and by Nature and an old Boy Scout [always be prepared]... I have Check Lists to make sure I have all my Check Lists...I have Check Lists, Task Lists, Gannt Charts.... "they all think I'm crazy...you think I'm crazy too" [Hat Tip to "Meet the Robinsons"]....

Scout Troop always had a "check list". I created my own years ago when we were Tent Campers and gear was stored in multiple locations. I just adapted them to the PUP.

The first year, with the PUP, I HAD to have a check list. The PUP, and towing, was all brand new to us. [The Owner's Manual had a good template to abide by]. As others have said, now it has become a routine that has, mostly, assuaged my anxiety.

Still use them but, my DW has taught me that if, indeed, we forgot something it's just an opportunity to hone our "survivor skills"

FWIW... I tried to upload mine, for your "amusement" but, the site tells me that "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."... sorry...it's an Excel XLS ... with formulas and macros and links and stuff [what did I tell ya, I'm a wee bit crazy]...

Happy Trails

20. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

I guess you do have lists!!