cutting into a wall to create an access door?

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Hello friends,

My pup has two rather large storage areas under the dinette benches. That storage is only accessible with the pup completely open. I'd like create a hatch so that I could access it without deploying the pup. Is this stupid/crazy? Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks,

Dmitry

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
I'm surprised yours doesn't already have doors on them. I say that because my 1997 Starcraft Spacemaster had a U shaped dinette and I stored under all three seats. Both end seats had access doors.

But like Raycfe said, find out what's on the other side of the saw first!! [A]

[:D]

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
I've done it, be careful where you cut. Search eBay and other sites for "RV baggage doors".

popupprincess

Feb 24, 2015
What do you cut through with?
And how do you ensure proper sealing around door from the elements (rain)?
Would love to do this too but maybe be beyond my abilities... [:O]

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
Customer said:
I've done it, be careful where you cut. Search eBay and other sites for "RV baggage doors".

thank you, there's quite a selection!

What do you cut through with?
And how do you ensure proper sealing around door from the elements (rain)?
Would love to do this too but maybe be beyond my abilities... [:O]

no idea yet.. going to look for build threads!

jrclocks

Jun 24, 2008
This was the most useful Mod I did to my Sun Valley.

CargoDoor1-_zpsb3d4fa1b.jpg

DoorwithStripes-_zps0a558512.jpg

flash82

Jun 24, 2008
Northern KY
I've been wanting to do this too. Just nervous about cutting a hole in the side. Would be nice to put the chocks and water hose in.

jrclocks: where did you get the stickers to put on the door?

efehser

Super Active Member
Sep 3, 2012
dmitrym said:
that's great, thanks for the link! Not quite clear to me how the actual door attaches to the frame of the pup. Any hints?

The frame of the door will screw in to the skin and plywood backing of the pup. You will want to use a sealant under the lip of the frame. Butyl tape is factory, and very effective. There are also some modern marine type sealants that you can get in a tube for a caulk gun.

jrclocks

Jun 24, 2008
flash82 said:
jrclocks: where did you get the stickers to put on the door?

I went to a Vinyl Sign company and they matched to color of the existing stripes to one of their many colors of stock. I bought a 1' by 4' piece of each color and cut the shapes by hand.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
If you cut out your hole correctly. You just re-use that section of the outside skin with any graphics as the insert for the hatch door. I have seen the finished job of many of camper owners. I could not tell that it was not done at the factory when the camper was built.

bobloveland

Feb 15, 2015
What a great idea. We have two inaccessible storage areas under our seats as well that we would like to make use of while the unit is closed. This also gives me an idea for our lack of an airconditioner as well. As you know, RV air conditioners are just downright expensive, especially when compared to small window units. The problem is, a window unit just isn't feasible in most cases, and you sure don't want to cut a hole for one. If however i had one of these doors the approximate size of the back of a window ac unit, I could store the window unit under the seat and have it mounted to drawer slides so that when i need it, i simply open the door, and slide out the air conditioner. (will probably mount a handle on the back side to pull it in and out). Ductwork could be as simple as flexible hosing running to a wall register at the bottom of the cabinet.. Guess I should use some kind of tray just incase there is a condensation issue...

What do you think??

Bob
91 StarCraft Meteor

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
bobloveland said:
This also gives me an idea for our lack of an airconditioner as well. As you know, RV air conditioners are just downright expensive, especially when compared to small window units. The problem is, a window unit just isn't feasible in most cases, and you sure don't want to cut a hole for one. If however i had one of these doors the approximate size of the back of a window ac unit, I could store the window unit under the seat and have it mounted to drawer slides so that when i need it, i simply open the door, and slide out the air conditioner. (will probably mount a handle on the back side to pull it in and out). Ductwork could be as simple as flexible hosing running to a wall register at the bottom of the cabinet.. Guess I should use some kind of tray just incase there is a condensation issue...

What do you think??

Bob
91 StarCraft Meteor

Sounds like a project. Things to consider though are #1 the BTU capacity of a home unit VS a RV roof top one and #2 is the principle that heat rises.
A RV rooftop A/C is 13,500 to 15, 000 BTUs. A home unit with that much power is a big unit. Something smaller will only drop the temp a few degrees. Also if it's vented near the floor that's where the cool air will be. And yes, if you put one in a condensation pan is highly recommended.
Storing it under the table is a good idea though, as most people mount them through the back wall, resting on the bumper. That shifts the weight ratio for the hitch, and can result in sway when towing.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
bobloveland said:
What a great idea. We have two inaccessible storage areas under our seats as well that we would like to make use of while the unit is closed. This also gives me an idea for our lack of an airconditioner as well. As you know, RV air conditioners are just downright expensive, especially when compared to small window units. The problem is, a window unit just isn't feasible in most cases, and you sure don't want to cut a hole for one. If however i had one of these doors the approximate size of the back of a window ac unit, I could store the window unit under the seat and have it mounted to drawer slides so that when i need it, i simply open the door, and slide out the air conditioner. (will probably mount a handle on the back side to pull it in and out). Ductwork could be as simple as flexible hosing running to a wall register at the bottom of the cabinet.. Guess I should use some kind of tray just incase there is a condensation issue...

What do you think??

Bob
91 StarCraft Meteor

I remembered watching a YouTube video where someone did exactly this. Here is the link http://youtu.be/a33uRVQ_y-U

UpNorth-John

Sep 4, 2010
Absolutely yes. I added two to my old Krown pup. Pretty easy because it was just aluminum skinned 3/4" plywood. I agree with all the folks that noted to check what's behind it. Also look at how any outside accessories would affect it (like an add-a-room). While you're at it, consider how you'll use the space, for instance, I added a slide out shelf for my outside cooking area (VERY handy).

flash82

Jun 24, 2008
Northern KY
Finally had a chance to look around the pop up for locations. Three areas where there could be inside storage are right at the lifter posts. One other is right by the wheel well. No access for me. [:(]

Latest posts