Cutting the cargo box off a Coleman Laramie to install a bike rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Venusfly, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

WOW, nice MOD!

Very professional looking and makes great use of the space.

2. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

Great job! Have you notice any ill effects from a "lighter" tongue? The bikes surely can't weigh that much to equal what was removed?

3. NegroTundra

NegroTundra New Member

On mine, the metal basket with the Line-X coating actually weighed more than the original front box. And ya, Venus' bikes are very light, hence his great lengths to give them a nice travel spot :) [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C]

4. keithert

keithert Member

Could a 250 pound dirt bike be parked on the deck without affecting the vehicle stability?

5. NegroTundra

NegroTundra New Member

Your call if you want to subject your PUP frame to that much weight. I can safely say Ive had in excess of 200lbs on my deck. Made it tow more stable than unloaded.

6. webhannet

webhannet Member

The paperboard walls of the box, once they are waterlogged, have plenty of weight. I'm sure the frame is capable of much more weight, and it shouldn't affect handling much. See how much lower your hitch drops when you put the trailer on it. It's important to have the trailer level when towing.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Venusfly,

you still have the cargo door? I can buy it from you. one of my hinges broke.

8. Scottbaldwin01

Scottbaldwin01 New Member

That's a killer job on the conversion. Looks factory.

9. Winchested

Winchested Member

Like this a lot. I want just replace both sides of mine and the small area of the floor that is rotted but eventually if the whole floor rots out I might just cut the old box off and build a new framed box out of diamond plate with doors on both sides and top. Our problem is we use it and use it for lots of stuff so a deck is more useless to us.

10. Terry32L

Terry32L New Member

Question for anyone who has performed this mod. Has anyone decided to remove the switch and light fixture for the box and just go with the running lights in the front. I seem to have created an electrical problem and am now trying to chase it down. May have something to do with the ground on the box light?

11. michael leach

michael leach New Member

Just finished mine, added 2' extra deck space. Reenforced frame. 1"1/2 expanded metal "decking". Needed to fit 2/3 motorcycles/dirt bikes. Thanks for the info I'll post pictures soon.