Cutting through campsite

Sea H

Jul 19, 2020
It's funny that I came across this subject on this site, I had just sat down to look for signs to say please dont cut through our site, my husband and daughter have taken the car so no vehicle on site, I open the window to see the view , and 2 teenage boys are walking up the area where we normally have the car parked, I asked them what they were doing, they said " going upto our camp site, I must be in a good mood because I asked them nicely to not cut through the site.they have the nerve to look put out to have to go around on the road , I don't know if they are lazy, just dont care or have not been taught to respect, it happens all the time, we were actually sitting by the fire pit and people come from upper site between picnic table and front door. Yeah I dont get it, seems to go hand in hand with a lot of similar things lately. Oh well, there are still good views to be seen and still some people that get it

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
I prefer them not to walk thru my site. I don’t want them to get hurt from tripping over my camping equipment. I don’t want to be liable for accidents. And I have lots of cool electronic and expensive camping gadgets that I don’t want to go missing.

Once when I was a tent camper, a group of teenage girls walked thru my site. Then went to my shower tent and peeked inside. I had to tell them they were invading my camping space and needed to go around next time.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
The only time I had this happen it was a girl of about 8. She walked along the side of the camper and turned right towards my picnic table. The dogs and I were hanging out on the other side of the picnic table. I didn't see her, but Bat-dog did. She got up and stared at the girl barking her head off. The girl was frozen in fear - she'll never walk through another campsite again.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
The only time I have a problem with cutting is if I’m near the bathhouse or a public lake. Though just the sight of my dog is a pretty darn good Deterrent. I usually stick to state parks and away from the bathhouse or playground if I can help it.
In my experience signs are pretty worthless. Everyone always seems to ignore them anyway but it could slow them down. One private campground I went to the road was a dead end with a sign before you got on the road, the last campsite on that road was a full hookup pull through site. There was another sign on the tree before the site “not a through way”. Another sign at the end of the road “dead end” Yet still everyone cut through that site all the time despite people parked there. At least cars couldn’t go through but they always had to turn around when they saw it blocked. If they didn’t cut through that site they chose instead to walk directly behind the trailer near the site next to it. Every camper that is parked there get so frustrated. One family ended up going out to buy caution tape put up on their campsite boundary and people just ended up hugging the tapped off section to cut through. Personally the campground might as well make it a road for the amount of people who use it as a road.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I see it pretty often in state parks and USFS campgrounds, especially when there is a loop with a bath house on one side. Often there are trails that cut through the interior and connect multiple campsites. Not all of these trails were made by the campground either. I find it annoying myself, but in many campgrounds it just seems to be the way things are, especially when children are involved.

netslacker

Jun 19, 2020
We are at a campsite right now and are right on the lake shore. The site behind us has taken to using our site for access to the lake. Most people on the back rows go to the public access beach about 1/4 mile away. At first I was irritated but then decided to just let it go. It’s a father with 4-5 kids. Seems he’s got his hands full and they’re just trying to have fun. The dad is trying to be respectful and not cutting directly through the middle of our site but the kids not so much.

the only thing that is kinda bothering me though is that they leave their stuff strewn across the beach and don’t leave us any room for our kayaks. That was until I took all their stuff and threw it into a pile out of the way. I think that sent the message. We’ll see.

Either way, I’m definitely not going to let it ruin our time here. We’re just gonna do our thing and have fun.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I saw more new campers this summer than in any previous year. I believe most of the horrible behavior I saw (hatchet to trees, dumping water everywhere, bathing in the lake) was done out of ignorance. I tried to educate but I'm a teacher and on vacation from teaching. I allowed the camp hosts to handle some of those.

We did have one young adult catch my DW's wrath for cutting through our campsite. Her point was there wasn't anything they could have been going to. No shoreline, no bathrooms, nothing but an open forest with no paths.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
I saw more new campers this summer than in any previous year. I believe most of the horrible behavior I saw (hatchet to trees, dumping water everywhere, bathing in the lake) was done out of ignorance. I tried to educate but I'm a teacher and on vacation from teaching. I allowed the camp hosts to handle some of those.

We did have one young adult catch my DW's wrath for cutting through our campsite. Her point was there wasn't anything they could have been going to. No shoreline, no bathrooms, nothing but an open forest with no paths.
Teachers are never on vacation from teaching.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
LOL. No we are not. But hatchet guy was an exception. And shampoo in the lake girl. And opening the gray water and just letting it run guy. His gray water (I'm assuming gray I couldn't smell it 30 yards away) was running near the tent for the site next to theirs. The folks weren't there, but I'll bet it would have been an interesting conversation.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
We are at a campsite right now and are right on the lake shore. The site behind us has taken to using our site for access to the lake.

Water front sites are the only times I remember having people cutting through. I don't reserve them anymore just for that reason. The only time I really had a problem with it is the place where public access path was only about 30' down from our site. I didn't feel like people had any excuse to not use that instead.

The other times, I just let it ride, but I don't like a bunch of strangers right in front of our site all the time. So now, I just avoid anything water front. I'd rather walk or drive to public access and have our privacy.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Yeah if your site backs up to an amenity (body of water, large green space, playground area, etc) and there aren't demarcated paths going to said resource, then I think you have to put up with it a little bit. I try to walk RIGHT on the line between sites (and if people are outside, I will loudly say to my kids something like "make sure we don't walk on their campsite".

Nobody should be walking around picnic tables, under awnings, etc.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
This just brought back a bad memory. We were in a tent site in Yellowstone. The bathrooms where behind us with a long walk around via the road. I was getting tired of waking up in the middle of the night because of people literally walking a couple feet from our tent. I thought we caught a break one night because of forecasted winds and rain. Nope, someone tangled themselves in my guy line and almost took down my tent. The guy and his companion started screaming at me! About the time one of us would probably have taken a swing someone came with a strong flashlight and showed the guy how he was in our campsite and not on a trail. He still didn't apologize and my DW stopped me from walking my ass through his site and knocking something over.