Cutting through campsite

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sea H, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Mejac02

Mejac02 New Member

I generally camp at state parks and like the sites that are secluded. I bring my dog with me and he has no issues with making his presence known if someone enters our site. The only time I had an issue with people walking through my site was at a christian music festival without my dog. I was at the last site on a dead end and people from the loop behind us would walk through my site because it was easier to get to the restroom. At first I was annoyed but then decided to have fun with it and like CampingFamily1, I started to engage with anyone who walked through. Oddly enough, the amount of traffic was reduced once people realized that they would have to be subject to questioning and conversation.

I realize that for some people it may be their first time camping. However, one would hope that common sense and well, good manners might lead a person to at least ask permission to enter someone else's site. Call me old fashion but whether they believe it or not, the rule if you don't want someone doing it to you then don't do it to others applies to camping as well.

grandpa mikey likes this.
  2. wusthof

wusthof Active Member

My biggest pet peeve when at a campground. Thats my home and property until I leave!

3. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder Member

Always carry a flask of good booze. Then you aren't the ahole cutting camp you are the guy that bought shots!

4. CandiceMc

CandiceMc New Member

Growing up near the ocean, when visiting beaches that had ocean front property, we were always taught that the shoreline is personal/private property. So out of respect for the property owner, the beach area in front of their houses is off limits. Stick to public spaces. That logic carried over to lakefront lodgings/camping as well. I wouldn’t think of setting up my beach chair, towel, kayak, etc on the beach in front of a site that I didn’t rent. For me that’s like “excuse me while I borrow your front yard...”

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Hawaii oceanfront homes don't have private beaches - the beaches and water is public.

If I had a campsite that was right on the water, I would set up my own "beach station" right there so others won't set up there. If they were already set up there when I arrived, I would approach them to establish a border between them and my site. I'd use my dog as the reason - "she needs to know her territory where other dogs/people won't be".

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't like people

akriot likes this.
  7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

[RANT] Neither do Californians. Same rule. Although try telling that to Jackson Browne, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Yvon Chouinard (Hollister Ranch), David Geffen, Dustin Hoffman, Ray Romano, Pierce Brosnan, Goldie Hawn (Broad Beach). Huge pet peeve of mine. Broad Beach (Malibu) has private security patrols on ATVs to shoo away legal beach goers. Hollister Ranch has been fighting the Coastal Commission for almost 40 years regarding beach access. Throw in a tax break for "ranching" as well.
    David Geffen was allowed to build a huge compound on two lots in exchange for an access point. The access point was never opened, and he directly fought the Coastal Comission for decades before finally allowing limited access.
    Sorry to digress, access to beaches in California is guaranteed...unless you are very wealthy, and then "they" can keep "us" out.[/RANT]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Toedtoes

Yeah, that's why I used Hawaii as my example. They have access points going between houses and all (even for folks like Tom Selleck and such).

9. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

All kids are welcome to cut thru my camp site at any time. Grown ups, I expect an "excuse me but would you mind/is it okay if I/oh I'm sorry..... then we are all good! :smiley:

10. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I think that's where I'd be hanging heavy objects at eye level from the trees above...and anything else I could come up with to amuse myself. If I can stop the disrespectful people, I might as well be amused by them.

11. adkdave

adkdave Member

Just returned from from a 4 day trip and first time visit to a state campground in central NY, and had the same experience. People walking and kids cycling through my campsite. I put a few dead tree branches across the herd paths to discourage them. It worked somewhat, with only a teenager using his bike jumped the branches once. I've only camped at campgrounds less than a dozen times and this was a first. I can put up with crying children and barking dogs, but loud music and disrespectful campers bother me. Maybe this phenomenon is due to the surge in camping this year bringing in more uneducated people with no regard for camp etiquette.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I reserved a group site so that several families could get together with us. Some other kids were playing in the creek near our site when we arrived, but that is to be expected. Once we started setting up, I asked them to find a different section of the creek to play in and that obviously bothered them. They left, but came back the next day and my wife had to ask them to leave again. Parents were nowhere to be found. This is why I try to avoid campgrounds like the plague. No one has common courtesy anymore. I expect kids to be kids, but when adults just let their kids run wild when others are trying to enjoy themselves is just rude. May as well let their pets take a dump next to my fire, as well.

1380ken likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

I wouldn't tell people (kids or adults) to go find another area of the creek to hang out at because it was near my campsite. If the kids were just being kids and not causing trouble, then that's just a part of campground camping. Unless the only way to get to that spot at the water is to go through a specific campsite, then it's part of the public area.

tfischer likes this.
  14. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

The lakes and rivers I've been to are common areas. Fishermen work the shoreline and kids walk up and down the banks. My understanding is that the camp sites are defined by the railroad ties or treated wood boundaries. Then it gets vague. Perhaps a natural boundary with the next site or an invisible line halfway between. I do assert my boundary with a hammocks or a canoe on it's side. Then again, state parks here usually are pretty wide sites and I've never had a problem.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The group site where we used to have a church trip is at the end of a gated drive, at the end of a campground. There's a stream that runs by the group site, popular for fishing. We knew that, and understood there would be people fishing along it; There were also often people accessing a hiking trail on the path by the group site, even though there was an option up on a hill - I gave many the benefit of the doubt for not knowing the paths arrived at the same place.
    We did ask a couple of people to leave when we noticed smoke from a campfire in the land next to the drive, they just decided they wanted to free camp instead of using a site. I don't know if they had done that in the past, when the group site was uninhabited (not often in camping season) or just played dumb when we pointed out they were in the group site.

16. Steveo4090

So I'm at my 1st ever KOA campground...in upstate NY. It was not where I wanted to stay, at all, but for the sake of location and less travel to and from, I gave in. Now I'm regretting it to say the least.
    I have a really crappy site between the playground and bath house. Who did I piss off? Anyway, I don't know if all KOA's are like this one, but theres been a steady flow of gas powered golf carts going by which had already become tiresome. Most are blasting music and are full of screaming kids.
    Anyway, my site is on the corner of a "Y" so I've had about 50 people cut through my site so far and it's only been 5 hours since I checked in. Luckily for them, my dog has been trained not to go ape balls at people walking too close to the camper or their dogs.
    My hope is they're all leaving tomorrow. I'll be gone all day at a friends house so maybe when I get back it'll be like the apocalypse...poof! Everyone is gone...well I can wish anyway.

neighbormike and Toedtoes like this.
  17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Only stayed in a KOA once, but golf carts went by several a minute, starting at about 7AM. Most, if not all, of them were KOA employees. You'd think we were on the main service road or something but no, just a normal campsite. That campground was interesting... tons of amenities, HUGE campground (one of the largest in the US I believe). They gave us a tiny site (even for a KOA) and then made me park our van where I had to wade through a puddle to get in and out of the driver's seat bacause they said the other logical place was blocking the road for the huge pushers that constantly rolled by also (it wasn't really).

Needless to say I had mixed reviews of the place. Kids loved it as it had tons of activities and fun things to do. It was expensive (I've payed less for some hotels), and our site sucked, being between a road and two huge RVs and feeling like a bit of an outsider. Also there was a major storm which flooded the campground and our site had water topping the fire ring (nearly 1 foot deep) but that wasn't the campground's fault... some areas of the campground were actually evacuated.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  18. OldMedicDoc

OldMedicDoc New Member

Last campground I stayed at was a loop eight he bathhouse right in the middle surrounded by sites. So you had no choice but walk through sites to get to it. I felt awful walking through but had no choice. All I know is I’m glad I didn’t pick one of those sites.

19. Steveo4090

The last golf cart I heard went by at 1:40 am...unless you count the one at 4:51 AM as the last. I was going to count it as the 1st lol. And some dog has been barking since 7:00 am. Pretty amazing the lack of consideration.
    But on a positive note, I've seen a couple tts leave already this morning. Maybe my dream will come true afterall.

tfischer and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Ok, gotta ask where in upstate NY?
    Also, KOAs are what they are. There are 3 types, Journey, Holiday and Resort.
    Journey are usually along a highway and can be right in the middle of city. Most like a parking lot.
    Holiday are a little more "green", but still a bit like a parking lot.
    Resort are a destination and usually are more remote, but again, parking lot -esk.
    We do use the KOA Journeys when just getting from here to there and need a place to spend the night. I think of them as hotels for campers. They're convenient and we know we'll have decent enough wifi so can do online reservations. They do have hot showers and a laundry. The other campers are usually older and pleasant, so nice for chatting with.

Years ago we stayed at our first KOA ever and we were tent campers; this was in the very early 90s. Sounds just like this place, it was near Mount Rushmore. The place was absolutely HUGE with two different swimming pools, each on different ends of cg and two different "club houses". That was only time we stayed at a KOA until we got our pup last summer. I will say, the place did have a lot of amenities and the kids absolutely loved it playing in the woods near the wooden ship with a ton of other kids from the cg. Had to drag them away every time we wanted to go do stuff.
    So have to ask if this is the same one you mention?
    Edit: Just took a look at google maps sat view of that KOA in Hill City, SD. Man, it has gotten even bigger than is was in the early 90s. Looks NOTHING like it did when we were there.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020