Cutting through campsite

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
OK stupid question here: how do people even get golf carts to their campsite? Thankfully I've only camped at ONE place in my life that allowed golf carts, and it was the KOA I mentioned earlier in this thread.
So I snapped this pic today as the locals are already filling the place up again...was hoping it would be Friday but oh well.
This guy had at least a 30' hitch pull trailer too. That was the best shot I could get since he went behind the bath house before I could get the camera app to go. 20200813_131734.jpg

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I don't understand "golf cart" culture but it seems to be a retirement thing? My sister lives in a condo community that is mostly retired people and a lot of them have golf carts too. They even do a "golf cart parade" on the 4th of July.

HappyTraveler

Apr 30, 2019
New York
We went a couple of years ago to visit dh's family in MN, it was over the 4th of July. The little town where all the local farmers seemed to retire to also had golf carts. The town was crawling with them. So at this 4th of July parade, they didn't go in the parade, but were all showing up to watch and lined up along the parade route. They had coolers full of stuff and everything. I asked one of the cousins about it and they said that instead of having a second car, people just had the golf cart. They drove them all over town and used them just like a car, but only drove them in town. Later in the week, we happen to be in that town visiting other family and sure enough, everywhere you looked, the most of the other "vehicles" on the road in town were golf carts. Weirdest thing I saw.

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
I think golf carts are used as a social thing. Folks ride around in them to see and be seen.
I think that's exactly what's going on at my current cg for the most part. That plus lazy people. I see many people driving (their cars/trucks) to the bathroom...

Plus if I had a golf cart I'd probably look for excuses to use it...especially if I was paying $50 a day to rent one. I can't imagine ever doing that, but whatever. The guy that was tenting with a rental cart 3 sites from the bathhouse was probably driving there just because he paid for the cart and wanted to use it for everything. It just reminds me of the movie "Wally" where the human population all rode around on hover vehicles and never walked anywhere and became big fat blobs.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Then thru you go Sir, just don't bring them back this way! [LOL]

Seriously tho, if someone asks politely I don't think I could say no.

I think the catch is that if they ask politely, they most likely have a reason other than "I'm too lazy to walk five feet that way to reach the actual path".

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
Omg...so Fridays are even more crazy than Saturdays at my current KOA. Been sitting in my chair watching the steady parade of cars, carts and trucks for the past 30 minutes or so. I'm averaging a golf cart at least 1 a minute past my site and a vehicle of some sort at least every 30-40 seconds. It's nutty...but it gets better. This weekend's "theme" is dogs and cats, or something like that. There's dogs everywhere. My new neighbor has 3 that go ballistic every time they get a glimpse of my dog.

This place is a very special kind of a crazy local weekend hangout.

My wife actually told me to keep the campsite map in case we come back...I almost fell over laughing just before I threw it in the trash. Lol...in case we come here again!!! hahaha

Edit: So we finally left the KOA at 11 am Saturday. When checking out the kid asked me how my stay was... I laughed and just said it was fine. Never been quite so happy to be home from a camping trip before. We had fun during the week, but the weekends were a circus.

Last edited:

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
We are camping in a primitive loop of a rustic state park. The loop behind us has power and some larger trailers but in general the place is pretty empty even though it was mostly full when I grabbed the reservation a couple weeks ago. Earlier one of the trailers was cranking “I Think We’re Alone Now” by Tiffany which I thought was a bold choice lol. Fortunately that only lasted a few minutes and it’s been very quiet all morning.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Just got back from a very brief campout (tenting, 1 night) and had that trespassing/ cutting across issue. Big family group of 10-12 people, was taking up two campsites to my left. First issue was the 'big kids, boys like 15-20 years old playing frisbee as it repeatedly flew onto my site, landing just a few feet or inches away from me sitting at my picnic table. They were actually playing on a vacant site that was adjacent to mine. They kept saying "sorry" as they retrieved it. The last straw though was the 6-8 yr old girl also from their group, on a bike, wheeling across my site actually saying, "I'm just cutting through."
Right, that makes it OK, you don't have to ask or say you're sorry just announce what you are doing? To her I replied, Well, please do not Intrude again!

I had the two dogs tied to the picnic table; said Table is also made of concrete; and I don't want to be responsible if someone falls onto my table or dogs while catching frisbee, not to mention I don't want to be hit in the head with one. I tried to be philosophical about it all since I played frisbee as a teenager too but hopefully was more considerate of those around me. I was trying to not be "too sensitive" but didn't feel comfortable approaching the adults on the site to ask for their cooperation either. Just because people are "adult" in age, doesn't mean they will be respectful, if you confront them about respecting your boundaries.

Had planned to post into the board anyway, just found this existing thread so I'm adding to it. There is something to be said for campground design that insures adequate vegetative screening between sites that will often discourage this kind of behavior.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
So I snapped this pic today as the locals are already filling the place up again...was hoping it would be Friday but oh well.
This guy had at least a 30' hitch pull trailer too. That was the best shot I could get since he went behind the bath house before I could get the camera app to go. View attachment 67256
My buddy pulls a utillity box bigger them my camper with his RV, fits a car and a golf cart in there, plus other stuff.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Pick up a few.

lOVMrW6l.jpg

Etexcamper

Aug 14, 2020
East Texas
This does not bother me. I am camping not protecting some fort. I rented my lot and did not purchase it. My lot is not fenced between public and private.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
This does not bother me. I am camping not protecting some fort. I rented my lot and did not purchase it. My lot is not fenced between public and private.

If it was just me, I would feel the same. But when you have pets, and people suddenly appear in the middle of your "living room", then my attitude changes.

I enjoy camping with my pets. I keep them under control and follow the rules. I do everything to minimize any risks (to them or others). People and dogs coming into my campsite without my knowledge are a risk.

If cutting through my campsite is really that much more convenient or necessary, talk to me. I am happy to work out an arrangement that will allow you to get where you are going and for my pets to stay safe and secure. At one campground, my favorite campsite is right above the best part of the creek. When folks cut into my site to get to the creek, I establish an acceptable path with them. It gives them convenient access and gives my pets space from them.

McSkippy

Sep 10, 2019
Colorado
It bothers me. If I rent a house, you don't get to traipse through my yard or let your dog crap on my lawn just because I don't actually own it. If I rent an apartment or hotel room, you don't get to wander in without my permission. My campsite is no different. For the time I've rented it, you can go around unless I've invited you in.

Latest posts