Cutting through campsite

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
It bothers me. If I rent a house, you don't get to traipse through my yard or let your dog crap on my lawn just because I don't actually own it. If I rent an apartment or hotel room, you don't get to wander in without my permission. My campsite is no different. For the time I've rented it, you can go around unless I've invited you in.

I think that how BLM leaseholders feel about the public being on their leased land.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
It's funny that I came across this subject on this site, I had just sat down to look for signs to say please dont cut through our site, my husband and daughter have taken the car so no vehicle on site, I open the window to see the view , and 2 teenage boys are walking up the area where we normally have the car parked, I asked them what they were doing, they said " going upto our camp site, I must be in a good mood because I asked them nicely to not cut through the site.they have the nerve to look put out to have to go around on the road , I don't know if they are lazy, just dont care or have not been taught to respect, it happens all the time, we were actually sitting by the fire pit and people come from upper site between picnic table and front door. Yeah I dont get it, seems to go hand in hand with a lot of similar things lately. Oh well, there are still good views to be seen and still some people that get it
I have to ask if the getting your ass whooped generation people are better citizens than the time out generation. But, that is like when I hear someone complain about a barking dog and what they want to do to the dog. I reply "well if it was me I would whoop the owners ass first, he is the reason the dog is barking. You can always have Fido lay some land mines on the route they use, cover lightly with leaves. It's a mess to clean up flip flops or some of those hi-dollar tenny runners after a Fido land mind explosion. I like the Fido method because it avoids conflict with the neighbors, just don't let them see you laughing. The fresher the land mine the better the effect. Just pick them up before you leave please. Some people can't be talked to, they just have to learn on their own.

Last edited:

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I have to ask if the getting your ass whooped generation people are better citizens than the time out generation.

I don't believe this is true. Throughout time, there have been bad and good citizens regardless of being whooped or not.

It has become normal be selfish. We have lost humility for the sake of self confidence. And it has infiltrated our society to the point that all age groups are doing it.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I don't believe this is true. Throughout time, there have been bad and good citizens regardless of being whooped or not.

I'm 50 and I was almost never spanked as a kid. It happened... my parent's weren't necessarily against it, they just disciplined in other ways. We raised our kids much the same way... we're not some anti-spanking hippie people... I just think there are generally better ways to discipline than hitting your kid.

On the other hand I had friends from my school days who were regularly disciplined with belts, etc. One of them did jail time and the other got in serious trouble with the law in college. So it doesn't follow that "spanking" makes you a better citizen.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
Just got back from a very brief campout (tenting, 1 night) and had that trespassing/ cutting across issue. Big family group of 10-12 people, was taking up two campsites to my left. First issue was the 'big kids, boys like 15-20 years old playing frisbee as it repeatedly flew onto my site, landing just a few feet or inches away from me sitting at my picnic table. They were actually playing on a vacant site that was adjacent to mine. They kept saying "sorry" as they retrieved it. The last straw though was the 6-8 yr old girl also from their group, on a bike, wheeling across my site actually saying, "I'm just cutting through."
Right, that makes it OK, you don't have to ask or say you're sorry just announce what you are doing? To her I replied, Well, please do not Intrude again!

I had the two dogs tied to the picnic table; said Table is also made of concrete; and I don't want to be responsible if someone falls onto my table or dogs while catching frisbee, not to mention I don't want to be hit in the head with one. I tried to be philosophical about it all since I played frisbee as a teenager too but hopefully was more considerate of those around me. I was trying to not be "too sensitive" but didn't feel comfortable approaching the adults on the site to ask for their cooperation either. Just because people are "adult" in age, doesn't mean they will be respectful, if you confront them about respecting your boundaries.

Had planned to post into the board anyway, just found this existing thread so I'm adding to it. There is something to be said for campground design that insures adequate vegetative screening between sites that will often discourage this kind of behavior.
This boils down to teaching kids respect for others. The kids at the camp parents were probably never taught to respect others so, they don't think anything about that little Johnny or Suzie are bothering others.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
I'm 50 and I was almost never spanked as a kid. It happened... my parent's weren't necessarily against it, they just disciplined in other ways. We raised our kids much the same way... we're not some anti-spanking hippie people... I just think there are generally better ways to discipline than hitting your kid.

On the other hand I had friends from my school days who were regularly disciplined with belts, etc. One of them did jail time and the other got in serious trouble with the law in college. So it doesn't follow that "spanking" makes you a better citizen.
Well I will say this, I got plenty of but whippings, back hands, groundings and thing of that nature. My folks never drew blood or left whelps. A spanking was also accompanied by a grounding for at least a week. I think they call it time out now for maybe a few hours. I have never been in jail or arrested for anything. My folks always told me if you get in trouble with the Police do not call them because I was wasting my dime they weren't coming to get me. Spend that calling someone that might come get you. I believed them and never had to try them one for size. So that worked for me. The crime rate in America is because kids are taught that they are not responsible for their actions anymore.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Not sure what all this talk about "time out" is... I haven't heard parents of my generation or younger use the term, except maybe for a toddler throwing a tantrum and needing to calm down. Honestly when I think of "time outs" I think of Dennis the Menace cartoons from the 1960s and him sitting in the corner after doing something wrong. That's definitely not my generation lol.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Well I will say this, I got plenty of but whippings, back hands, groundings and thing of that nature. My folks never drew blood or left whelps. A spanking was also accompanied by a grounding for at least a week. I think they call it time out now for maybe a few hours. I have never been in jail or arrested for anything. My folks always told me if you get in trouble with the Police do not call them because I was wasting my dime they weren't coming to get me. Spend that calling someone that might come get you. I believed them and never had to try them one for size. So that worked for me. The crime rate in America is because kids are taught that they are not responsible for their actions anymore.

The first problem with this argument is that if kids aren't taught responsibility then who failed? Why aren't the parents teaching responsibilty? Is it because their parents' didn't teach them? Or maybe their parents were abusively strict and these parents are trying to be different? Or maybe it's because society is different so parents are different?

The other problem with this argument is that it suggests that only "kids" are the problem. Which doesn't account for all the other problem people. I've heard the "it's the new generation" argument for over 40 years. At what point does it stop being about "kids aren't taught responsibilty" and become "people are selfish". How old do the "kids" have to be before we acknowledge that it is people of all ages that are the problem.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
The first problem with this argument is that if kids aren't taught responsibility then who failed? Why aren't the parents teaching responsibilty? Is it because their parents' didn't teach them? Or maybe their parents were abusively strict and these parents are trying to be different? Or maybe it's because society is different so parents are different?

The other problem with this argument is that it suggests that only "kids" are the problem. Which doesn't account for all the other problem people. I've heard the "it's the new generation" argument for over 40 years. At what point does it stop being about "kids aren't taught responsibilty" and become "people are selfish". How old do the "kids" have to be before we acknowledge that it is people of all ages that are the problem.
Maybe you misunderstood what I have been saying trying to say, it is not the kids and the dogs that are the problem. It is parents and the dog owners not applying enough discipline even if that goes back several generations. If you can't get thru talking and timeout type punishment then you are going to have to start spanking. Different people respond to different things. I said ass whooping to get a point across. I was a bad father for several reasons. I was born late in my moms life. I have a niece that is a year older than me. Now you think being an only child would be cool when your parents were struggling trying to raise 3-4 maybe more kids. Being an only child at home I never learned simple life skills like sharing. I did not have to because there was no one to share with. Lonely because I had no siblings. I have read some posts in the loved ones and friends that have gone on. I have no close siblings. The closest person I have is a couple of cousins. The other thing my dad worked 60-70 hrs. a week to pay the bills. I played football 3 years I doubt that he went to 8 -10 games total. And I am not mad at him or my mom. Because my dad was not around I had had no idea what a father was supposed to do. I worked 50 hrs. per week and in a stressful job. Come the weekend I was going fishing or hunting. I thought that what was what I was supposed to do. Thank God my mom was a strong Christian woman and instilled right and wrong in me. So everybody is a product of their environment. I am a big supporter of capital punishment. But here's the deal. Little Johnny never gets any real punishment from home or the school because they can't. At 18 he gets in a drug deal or robbery and kills some one. I believe he needs to be executed for taking a life but all of his life we taught him that is not responsible for his actions then after his 18th birthday we execute him. That is not exactly right either.

No, I don't want to run for office my mom taught me not to be crooked:)<o)

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Maybe you misunderstood what I have been saying trying to say, it is not the kids and the dogs that are the problem. It is parents and the dog owners not applying enough discipline even if that goes back several generations. If you can't get thru talking and timeout type punishment then you are going to have to start spanking. Different people respond to different things. I said ass whooping to get a point across. I was a bad father for several reasons. I was born late in my moms life. I have a niece that is a year older than me. Now you think being an only child would be cool when your parents were struggling trying to raise 3-4 maybe more kids. Being an only child at home I never learned simple life skills like sharing. I did not have to because there was no one to share with. Lonely because I had no siblings. I have read some posts in the loved ones and friends that have gone on. I have no close siblings. The closest person I have is a couple of cousins. The other thing my dad worked 60-70 hrs. a week to pay the bills. I played football 3 years I doubt that he went to 8 -10 games total. And I am not mad at him or my mom. Because my dad was not around I had had no idea what a father was supposed to do. I worked 50 hrs. per week and in a stressful job. Come the weekend I was going fishing or hunting. I thought that what was what I was supposed to do. Thank God my mom was a strong Christian woman and instilled right and wrong in me. So everybody is a product of their environment. I am a big supporter of capital punishment. But here's the deal. Little Johnny never gets any real punishment from home or the school because they can't. At 18 he gets in a drug deal or robbery and kills some one. I believe he needs to be executed for taking a life but all of his life we taught him that is not responsible for his actions then after his 18th birthday we execute him. That is not exactly right either.

No, I don't want to run for office my mom taught me not to be crooked:)<o)

I agree with that. Except the part that he doesn't get real punishment at school or at home because they can't. No they can't smack your knuckles with a ruler. And they can't beat you til you blister - but those things weren't ever effective in teaching. They were about fear.

Punishment can be meted out. But it's not a single solution for everyone and it can take creativity.

Also, being a "good" person isn't about discipline. Discipline is a tool, but it's not the solution.

The solution is two-fold: empathy and humility.

If you cannot put yourself in someone else's shoes, then you cannot be a "good person".
If you believe that you are MORE important rather thas AS important as others, then you cannot be a "good person".

Those are what allows people to think of others, to be considerate, to be good people.

Latest posts