D or E rated tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by rhbowler, Nov 21, 2020.

1. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

I just got a 04 Rockwood 170LTD PUP, so I of course will be putting on new tires first thing. It has the 145R12 tires so I have 2 choices. 1; Carlisle 145R12 LRD 8Ply rating at 65 PSI, or 2; Carlisle 145r12 LRE 10Ply rating at 80PSI. ( I am a fan of the Carlisle tires ) Obviously the extra load capacity of an E rated tire versus a D rated tire would seem self evident, my only complaint is I am not a fan of 80 PSI, I much prefer the lower pressure 65 PSI. I'm sure it's because all my life I was in the automotive trade or race car chassis fabrication, so i'm sure it may just be a mental thing, so I would appreciate hearing from others and their feelings on the subject. TIA

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you would need to see the weight of your pup. With that said d is probably fine.

3. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

According to what the tag says the GVWR is 2275 and the tire from the factory was a ST145R12D

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'll just add that those pressures on the sidewall represent max pressures to give you the rated load on the sidewall. If you're nowhere near the max load for the tires, you could elect to run at less than max sidewall. Only you and your barber would know. Also, anything I say that doesn't agree with stated owner's manuals or manufacturer's instructions should not be followed because that would be silly.

Good luck!

BillyMc, Bowman3d and xxxapache like this.
  5. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

Everything I have read says that with trailer tires it's best to run them at the pressure listed on the sidewall, I could certainly be wrong tho.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  6. Sjm9911

So , a d tire is like 2400 lbs , thats allready way overkill for your weight. I would not go to an E. Your pup probably came with c rated tires. People do air them down, i dont because i rwally have no idea of how much to air it down. Just easier for me to always max it out.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sorry , each tire is 1200 lbs. Not way overkill. Not sure why i was thinking 2400. Maybe for the 2. So, 1200x 2 is 2400 and then the toung takes some weight off them. I would get the d tires. I had the Carlisle tires on my pup also when i had it.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You should be fine with a load range D tire. Save yourself a couple bucks.

I'm a Carlisle fan as well.

9. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

Funny thing about that, I can get the E's for $1.30 less! LOL, go figure.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It is fine to run below max sidewall pressure. You need to consult with a load chart for the tire you are using. It looks something like this :
    20201121_224340.png

generok and McSkippy like this.
  11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

This is correct, the other thing you need to know is what the minimum recommended air pressure is and be at or above that. If you read the number on the side wall it says maximum air pressure not minimum. If you buy your tires from a tire shop they will be able to answer all your questions. The low bid on the internet you will never be able to stand in front of him and give him a good old fashion arss whooping and he knows that so after the sale Happy Motoring my friend.