Damprid cancel out CabFresh?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by 4letterstate, Sep 20, 2016.

1. 4letterstate

4letterstate New Member

I am new to pop-up camping, and I want to get my 2014 Rockwood winterized. I have been reading the posts on winterizing, and I have a question about using DampRid (charcoal to absorb moisture and smells) and Cab Fresh rodent repellent. It seems to me that the odor absorbing nature of DampRid would cancel out the effectiveness of the CabFresh pine-scent emitting repellent.
    Am I thinking about this too much, or can these two products work effectively together to help protect my camper?

2. redz

redz New Member

I am also new to winterizing and the same boat as you right now with researching winterizing.

My personal opinion is the two would cancel each other out. I'm actually gonna pick up some Cab Fresh as I'm super paranoid about rodents getting into my trailer.

3. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

In my personal experience, you are wasting your time and money on CabFresh.
    It does nothing to repel mice from getting in. It will only slightly mask the smell of their pee/poop, but not entirely.
    I work for an agency where we have vehicles that sit parked for longer periods of time between uses, and equipment that is sometimes parked in a field for a few days or a couple weeks.
    The mice find their way in, and cause all sorts of damage. It is a huge problem with some of our vehicles.
    We have tried all the popular remedies, from CabFresh to Bounce sheets to Moth Balls......etc.
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that mice just laugh at CabFresh.

The only thing that seems to work fairly well is Moth Balls, however the smell inside the vehicle with using that is just about as bad as mouse urine.

You will be better off by sealing up any places the mice can find their way in, even the tiniest ones. Mice are excellent climbers, and can get into any crack that their head fits in.

4. 4letterstate

4letterstate New Member

I am definitely sealing up every nook and cranny that I can find. Added 1/4" metal mesh to the refrigerator vents and steel scrubbers to other inlets, even though covered.
    It seems more vital to keep out the mice, so it seems that the Cab Fresh is just an extra layer of effort. But I don't want to ignore the mildew/mold issue, either.

5. cham5

cham5 Member

I agree with Firehawk, Damp Rid is a good idea but as far as varments go you may do well by crawling under the camper and looking for every tiny crack and sealing it.

6. redz

redz New Member

Thanks for your post.. I'm working on sealing up holes right now.. I'm so skeptical on all methods based on the posts I have been reading on this site. Gonna try a few methods though and hope for the best.

7. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

There really isn't one answer-
    1993 Coleman- Had for 2 winters, not 1 sign of mice. Used Cabfresh and dryer sheets, with glue traps just in case.
    2002 StarCraft- delivered in January, I threw in as many dryer sheets as I could not being able to open it fully, opened in April, mice had chewed through window screen and mattress, also they had stored seeds and nuts in the other bunk.
    2016 StarCraft hybrid- have had 1 winter so far- dryer sheets, Cabfresh, Purex crystals, glue traps- found a few droppings in one cubby. [?:~{]
    All of these stored in the same place too. Tricky little buggers.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I have no idea why the two products would cancel each other out. One is a moisture absorbent, the other is supposedly a rodent deterrent.
    I tried Fresh Cab in our TV a couple of years ago, when there were signs a mouse was in it. Too strong for my asthma (snap trap solved that mouse problem). I moved the Fresh Cab into the garage, and the mice ran right over the package on their way in. I sometimes think one of the things that has protected our campers from mice is that the garage has much easier access.
    The Damp Rid we have isn't the one with charcoal, but just the calcium chloride crystals that absorb moisture. We never used them in the pups, but decided they might be useful in the TT, since it has more open air space. I bought 2 canisters, dutifully placed them in large plastic pails (if the brine escapes it can soak into wood and ruin it), and put them in the TT. Our climate is so arid that we have never collected a drop of brine.
    We take care to clean the camper out, and have searched for the little openings that might admit mice. BTW, sealing them up is also helpful in reducing fine dirt infiltration on unpaved roads.

9. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

Get the damprid Bags...the ones you hang up...I swear by using them
    They work!!

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. We store our camper in what is essentially an old barn in a rural area. Last fall, when we put it up for the winter, we cleaned everything real well, removed all food and anything else that might attract critter and I used four Fresh Cab packets. When we opened it back up in April, there wasn't so much as a dead bug lying on the floor. Fresh Cab has worked great for us. [:)C]