Damprid placement

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Cpt_Canuck, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Cpt_Canuck

Cpt_Canuck New Member

I was wondering where everyone is putting Damprid buckets in their Pup's? I'm trying to decide on the most effective locations.

2. dmonette

dmonette Member

I have mine snuck between the slide and galley. Easy reach too

3. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I find inside the camper works best. [:D]

4. wapwap

wapwap New Member

We put the damprid bucket in a cheap dishpan just in case of overflows. I've read too many horror stories about that and it makes me feel better - cheap insurance to keep the wife happy. :) Then we just slide it into the main section of the camper, as in the middle as we can get it.

Sent from a teeny tiny keyboard via Tapatalk

5. Kateinusa

Kateinusa New Member

Apologies for my ignorance, what is a damprid bucket?
    We've only just got our first pup, I'm on a learning curve here :)

6. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

It's a bucket with product inside that draws moisture out of the surrounding air. Good for basements, closets, campers, musty spaces.

You can get it most anyplace, Home Depot seems to have the largest assortment of sizes and shapes

7. dmonette

dmonette Member

I had the bad experience of dropping a full one on my garage floor. Bad experience (nasty oily water, slippery and almost impossible to clean).

Having a pan under the bucket isn't a bad idea.

8. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

Just dumped mine yesterday (trailer still frozen in the snow) and had prob a litre of water.. replaced the crystals and reinsterted for another month before I will be able to get out her to work on.. always place it in the middle of the isle area that I can reach thru the door to dump... works great. third time this winter to dump replace.
    also always put an old pan under just in case of overflow alto that has never happened.. better safe than sorry I say.

G

9. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

I place mine in the sink. That is about the middle of the pup.

10. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We use the hanging type....
    [​IMG]
    We hang them on any available cabinet pull somewhere near the middle of the camper. I have found that the bucket style tend to beg bumped and spill. The water that comes out of them is just nasty to clean up.

11. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

We use the Bucket for $9. One every 6 months. Since I started using them no mildew or mold.. I set it just inside the door so I can check it when I want.

12. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Put it right in the middle of the floor.

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

when I store mine in the mines for winter storage. and it don't get opened or moved around much, I usually put two buckets on the bunk ends, since it is closer to the canvas and one in the floor (the sink would be good too) I usually buy the buckets at hd that are sealed, so if they get knocked over they don't spill. I hear that makes a huge mess

14. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Hey first time back here in a long time....

I didn't camp last year, long story.

But my GF has a boat that has been in storage for a couple of years, covered by tarps that weren't tight. Long story short, the carpeted floor was wet and musty when we moved it to another storage location last fall.

So I was thinking about DampRid, and thought there must be a home made solution, cause I didn't think a couple of them would be enough.

What I found on the net was a recipe for do it yourself.

Essentially you need plastic containers, I just used open plastic storage boxes without the lid, plus Silica based crystal cat litter, and Calcium chloride based ice melter.

I put down the silica on the bottom, then covered with the calcium chloride. About 50/50 each. Make sure you leave enough room in the container for water.

This past weekend we went to uncover the boat, and we were flabbergasted by how much moisture we got in our containers. In a 16 foot fibreglass boat, 2 containers that were 18x 12 x 8 inches high, I must have poured out 5-6 cups of water.

I haven't popped up my trailer in a year, might have to use this recipe again. The trick will be finding calcium chloride in the summer.