Dark is not necessarily so dark, but it is definitely good

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by RockyRoo, Oct 27, 2016.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Well, with my presence being fairly scarce over the past year + and some folks asking where I went and what I've been up to I thought I would give a little official update. I went away for a while due to personal reasons but during that time, roughly mid September, we went "dark" as well. I say it in quotes because with the number of windows this thing is brighter inside than the Roo-ster ever was. It was a great move for us, due to my medical issues and our desire to travel and her desire for a little more comfort when camping. On top of that, I've never towed a better trailer, nothing makes this thing upset or even a little squirly. An added plus, with the Arctic Insulation package, our camping season just got a little longer. Happy camping! Remember, camping is what you make it, not what everyone else thinks it should be.

PUP_RN likes this.
  2. RockyRoo

[:D]

Attached Files:

PUP_RN likes this.
  3. RockyRoo

[;)]

Attached Files:

PUP_RN likes this.
  4. RockyRoo

:)

Attached Files:

PUP_RN likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Wow, nice 5er! Bet it pulls a little different from the last one. [LOL]

6. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Great looking trailer Rocky! Enjoy all its adventures.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

7. RockyRoo

Honestly, pulls significantly better. You know it's back there, but the truck just doesn't care. The Roo swayed and bounced quite a bit even when fully loaded and with the Ox. This thing is rock solid, no sway, no bounce, nothing. It is a dream to pull.

8. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Nice looking rig Jay. I thought that truck was a bit much for the Roo. [LOL] [LOL]

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

[:O] Oh gosh I'm admiring the huge window on the side. My parents 30'TT is so dark inside you need lights even in the daytime. One of the reasons I decided to keep to the popup was because of my windowsp. Well that and I couldn't afford storage costs. [:(O]. Would like to to pictures from the inside. Very nice rig.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nice.. a Grand Design.. Take a close look at the windows for leaking in a rain storm... buddy picked his new GD trailer up a month ago and has had an issue with two windows leaking.. currently he is at the factory getting them replaced and resealed..

IIRC GD recently got bought out by Winnebago ...

11. RockyRoo

[LOL] So, the initial thought was we were going to sell the house and go full time back in March. Once we ordered the truck she decided a couple weeks later to go back to school for her MBA. That put the house sale on hold, thus no longer needing the trailer, but since we had already ordered the exact truck we wanted we decided to go thru with that deal. To quote 96Rockwood, that Roo-ster was like a flee behind this truck. [LOL] But, now that I have towed the Roo and now the Reflection, if I have anything to say about it I will never willingly tow with a gasser again. I LOVE this truck! The trailer is pretty nice too.

12. RockyRoo

Fortunately we are very lucky in that her parents have offered to store it for us on their property. It is a little inconvenient being 45 minutes away but I would much rather it be there than in a storage lot somewhere.

Unfortunately I don't have any inside pics at the moment but I will try to get some in the near future

13. RockyRoo

Only notable window issue so far was when the weatherstripping got cold enough that it didn't want to give and it made it difficult to get the window closed, but other than that they all seem good. Thanks for the heads up though, I will certainly keep an eye on that.

The great thing about GD is that their customer service is second to none, and I have already experienced that when due to my own error the steps got a bit mangled last week. I was going out for a factory tour in 2 days anyway and wouldn't you know, they can't sell me parts but surprisingly a set of new steps ended up in my truck on the way home anyway. They also have employees actually monitoring the web forums and giving personal responses along with direct contact. Not only does GD do this directly, but they also have vendor reps who are assigned to monitor the threads regularly. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does that. I don't just mean the GD threads, but also the independently moderated forums and facebook groups. It really is pretty impressive.

The sale to Winnebago honestly doesn't scare me. If they would have sold to Thor or Forest River I might have been concerned but the Winnie deal appears to be a good fit, I honestly think it will be a good thing for both sides as they have very similar business and customer service philosophys.

14. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Congrats to you and Michelle. Looks nice!

15. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Please bring it up to the rally in July at Geneva State Park. I'd love to see it in person.

16. RockyRoo

What rally is happening at Geneva? I haven't heard about that, I might be talked into it

17. Takamine

Takamine Member

Great quote, should be required reading for all RV owners.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

since it stems from this past summer pymatuning rally in PA, the thread can be found in the mid Atlantic region on the rallys being formed section. Hope to see you and your new rig there! And congrats on your new condo

19. Justin91

Justin91 Member

Nice Looking Camper RockyRoo! What is the weight of that trailer?

20. RockyRoo

The back window is nice and big and opens as well. It has great light and awesome airflow for a hard sided coach.

Attached Files: