Dark Siding full time?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by NorcrossFlyer, Sep 18, 2017.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Yep, health insurance is one major reason we haven't moved on it yet. Currently we have coverage through her job but if I leave mine and she goes freelance then we have to go to the market and we haven't decided how crazy we are about that idea yet

2. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I have had Advantage insurance since I retired 10 years ago I hear stories of people paying as much as 300.00 a mo. for insurance my sister does. Lets see 10 years at 3600 a year is 36,000.00 I have had 3 major surgeries my outlay has been 10k I am ahead of the game. I tell her about this her answer is I don't want to pay anything! I gave up! About every hospital I have encountered takes ours by the way! They are hungry for business most drs. also take it in todays marketplace!

I know people who play the storage game sort of cannot come out on your storage vs what the stuff is worth hard to do but just give it up most of my stuff is junk anyway my kids don't want it!

Full timing can you explain this to me? Is it getting a huge 5th wheel with the easy chair and setting in it hour after hour as my former neighbor does I have been to see him get the picture set, eat and watch tv oh I forgot drink beer. He stays in the same resort type place in N.M. away from everyone he knows very little visiting.

I have been temped by this but not only do I not understand it but I don't think I will because then I am not on a vacation for those that like it good for them but I think it would wear on me! I have tented all 50 states many of them many times when I pass through I still find things to do and see plus we have tented Europe 4x you could spend a life time there and not even see 25% of it! Amazing place!

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When my aunt tried to full time it, they stayed like 14 days at each park. With that much time they used it to see new things, hike, or just sit around and do nothing. they essentially just took their sweet time to see the area. Then move on to the next park. Then again they were still fairly young. Their youngest was in college, and their oldest moved out. My parents, well they have a seasonal campsite and do nothing but sit around. Sometimes watching golf, or going on the Internet. Boring life if you ask me, but I can't seem to drag them away. They dont live there, but visit for a week and go back home. They just didn't want the stress of driving the trailer everywhere. Kind of like a vacation home, except it's at a campground.

4. bob barnes

Jim are we all not just a little weird? You know what there are places in Mo. I still haven't seen and I have lived here 75 years. We bought a little 13f Scamp it is our motel on wheels we are boondockers. I know how do you pee and all the other stuff well the gas stations, restaurants we boondock at the Walmarts. Oh yuck how do you take a shower? Are we completely without imagination any longer?

Feb we took a 6,000m trip to Texas and N.M. our cost was 600.00 for a nice vacation using mostly Walmarts. Did we have fun we think so saw a lot of stuff going back again this Feb but going to Quartzite for 2 weeks to egg convention. I admit it we are cheap skates we have no investment in our stuff we are not showoffs we could care less what anyone thinks.

are we happy we think so our doggie loves us!

best regards

bob

LauraLieTx likes this.
  5. bob barnes

Lloyd I show no mercy to those people who can afford the million dollar rig but want to play around and not pay their share! Just what do we owe them anyway?

6. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

I agree Bob, but a lot of them do it. While working at a campground in TX one time, I talked to a fellow that had just bought one of those in Mesa AZ, and driven straight to our campground, only to find that his automatic awning just kept going in and out, and he had a converter/electric problem, and had to take it back to AZ for warrantee work, he told me how he had set himself up as a corporation in I think MT, so that he did not have to pay sales tax. Seems like having lots of money doesn't always mean having brains.

7. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

When we turned 65 and started Medicare, we bought a Medicare Advantage plan from Blue Cross, it was a seven state regional plan from SD, at first they paid for out of network care in FL, and TX, but soon notified us that they no longer would pay for care when out of our seven state region, so we signed up for a plan G supplement that paid all but our part B deductible, that cost us almost $400.00 a month for the two of us. Was it worth it? We think so, staying in SD during the winter is not fun, even as much as we love the Black Hills.

LauraLieTx likes this.
  8. bob barnes

Lloyd I thank popup Steve for letting us get way off topic. I saw your post about the guy running from sales tax he is a thief that is how he got the money to do these things. I too have met them they will screw you in a minute all the time claiming they are just old people and just cant afford it. I have seen them try to beat down little people selling produce off their stands. Come on we don't need to act like that most of the time I don't even ask for that!

On the insurance did you try another carrier there are others and Blue Cross pays no better than anyone else I started with them but they withdrew from the market. I have worked for companies if I didn't get the answer I wanted I went a step up I always one but boy I could make some real enemies I didn't care I was a straight commission salesman. What a life that is! Scarey not many people can handle the pressure I loved it and was a big hitter as they called me but they were always aggravating me because I made more than their ecexutives I told them tough get a territory and learn real life. Oh for those battles again I hated them but loved them at the same time!!!

9. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

DW and I are on our way to full timing it, have about 8 years before we kick the youngest out:)
    - TV and Trailer -> Figuring out what we want as I type - heading out Saturday to look a new TV and camper
    - Income -> Couple sources, first both DW and I are working on setting up remote jobs - a lot of jobs I can do with just a computer, then I have my retirement savings and we have a few other sources.
    - House and other junk -> Liquidate it!!! Don't need it and don't want it. DW and I talked about this last night, there were only two items we are having a hard time liquidating. My drum kit and her grandma's hutch - everything else can go!! We are starting to downsize now, figure we will eventually get there. We may rent the house out, but not sure we want the headache.
    - Insurance -> We have a non-insurance Health Care Sharing Plan, it goes with us anywhere - no problems.

What to do? Explore!! We are looking forward to going around the US exploring, seeing what is out there, a lot of beautiful country out there. We don't plan on sitting in one spot drinking beer wasting (IMHO) our life away. We'll probably continue to work as much as we can just because we can't sit and do nothing - gotta keep busy, plus it's a source of income.

I'm tired of the rat race as well, so both DW and I are really looking forward to going full time.

For anyone that already made the jump, if you don't mind, could you share what your monthly or annual expense budget is?? I think this could help a lot of folks - having an idea of what it takes can be helpful. DW and I have read some articles and so far the range has been 30k - 50k/year. There was one we saw that was full timing for about 12k/year - think this may have been a special case.

10. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

4XMeteor, there are a lot of variables when it comes to costs of full timing, of course campground fees, and the other expenses will vary depending on where you choose to stay. We found FL to be almost twice as expensive compared to TX. For the first 10 years of our full time 15 years, we worked in campgrounds, north in the summer, south in the winter, only moving in spring and fall. We subscribed to Workamper News, and found our jobs through their ads, some parks pay wages, in those cases you will need to pay state income tax usually, some pay for the site, propane, electric, laundrymat. and discount at the campground store in exchange for limited hours per week, usually mowing grass, cleaning restrooms, pool and hot tub cleaning, and the rest of campground maintenance. Many times spouses will work in the office and store. I'll never forget my very first day, they had me operating the "honey wagon" pumping out holding tanks on sites without a sewer hookup. The first trailer I pulled up to, the owner said "You sure have a shi**y job" I had to agree. Most of the campground owners were great to work for, a couple of them were really some of the worst bosses a person could have, one also owned a tree service, and expected us campers to pick up the chipper, dump truck, chainsaws and ropes and trim and cut down trees with no experience or training at all, when I declined we had to leave. Staying in one campground for the season, gave us lots of time to see all the sights in the area, meet local folks, and enjoy camping. If I can give you any more info, send me a PM, and I can give you our phone number, would be happy to give you any info we can.