Dark spot around fan

popuppirate

Jul 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

My husband and I recently purchased our first pop up (2006 rockwood freedom 1910) and we noticed some dark areas around the fan on the roof of our camper. There is no indication of moisture on the inside ceiling around the fan, everything looks fine. I've attached a photo - does this look normal? We have no idea. Why is there a dark perimeter around the fan?

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 35

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Looks like the caulk is cracking due to UV rays from the sun. Keep and eye on it and if you see a leak then you will surely have to re-caulk.
Myself I would probably go ahead and re do the caulking around the area.

popuppirate

Jul 20, 2015
I don't think so, the original a/c is still on the roof - this fan unit is offset, the a/c sits in the middle. The dark area almost looks like some kind of sprayed-on something-or-other...

popuppirate

Jul 20, 2015
...oh, and the actual caulking looks ok - that cracked area is actually just whatever that dark stuff is. It's flat and rough and looks like a spray-on. Could it be some kind of spray-on waterproofing?

popuppirate

Jul 20, 2015
Now that I've looked a little more at sealants for the roof vent, I'm wondering if the dark spot is where something like Dicor was used and then removed. Yikes, we need to get to work on this puppy!