Darkening the bunkend

MikeInLa

Don't forget the A/C cover!
Jul 28, 2008
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So I've been looking at getting one of the "Gizmo" cover sets for my bunkends. But I really don't have the money to get them right now. The main reason I've been considering them is because we would like to make it darker in the bunkend. When the sun comes up the the morning, it seems to shine right through that white top. I know what some of you are thinking... if the sun is up, then you should already be cooking breakfast! True, I so agree! However, sometimes my wife likes to sleep late, and sometimes we like to lie down in the afternoon.

Has anyone used anything in particular to darken the bunkend for this purpose? Just curious what material you would use (or have used) and how it worked out.

bud121156

Western North Carolina
Apr 15, 2007
North Carolina
Reflectix in the windows will go a long way to darkening the bunkends too.

2873977850101187768S600x600Q85.jpg

bwilly

Always An Adventure
Sep 16, 2007
Chatham, ON
We have the same setup as bud121156 with the gizmos on top and reflex inserts in the windows and it realy darkens it quit a bit in the bunk, I am an early riser either way but the wife does like to sleep in so she is a happy camper.

Full Circle

Greely, Ontario, Canada
Apr 4, 2009
Greely, Ontario
You could use a tarp over the bunk-end. You won't get the effects of the gizmos but it'll darken it up for you. Or a blanket strung over the shepherds pole would do it too.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
Full Circle said:
You could use a tarp over the bunk-end. You won't get the effects of the gizmos but it'll darken it up for you. Or a blanket strung over the shepherds pole would do it too.
We did the tarp thing on one trip. There was a pole light too near our site at a CG in Kentucky. It was bright! I happened to have two fairly large tarps, so I draped them over the bunkends and held them in place with a few bungees. It worked great for that one trip.

Lori3778

Mar 16, 2007
Texas
We have the Gizmos and they really do help with keeping the pup cooler, as far is darkening the sides, it only darkens the top. I really like the idea of putting reflectix in the side though. Would you leave it in the bunkend when you fold up the camper. I wondered how flexible it is. I've never used it before.

candleems

Jul 12, 2006
South Central PA
Make your own gizmos. You can buy similar emergency thermal blankets at BassPro.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_60429____SearchResults

$19.99 each. You can tape or sew them together. (Tape to use is the same aluminum tape that is used to tape together the Reflectix) They last several years.

robsheila

May 24, 2007
Ohio
We have the gizmo's and put the reflectix in the windows. I understand the financial reasons for looking for alternatives, but they are a great help with reflecting heat out of the PUC as well as the window inserts. And they're made to cover your bunkend not your body.

riverwalker

Jul 25, 2010
IF i'm not mistaken they have this same "gizmo" stuff at hardware stores on a roll , in heating/ducting area . I think its used for insulating your home water heaters.

Nascar Fan

Super Active Member
Nov 18, 2008
Washington, PA
The stuff on a roll in the hardware stores is the reflextix. The gizmo fabric is the emergency blanket you can get at Cabella's or the other sportsman's type stores. We purchased three of these and sewed them together to make two gizmo covers for the bunkends. They served us well for a few years. I believe we paid about $50 for the three. They were starting to get some pin holes and the last time out, they blew off four times with storms and high winds. We finally broke down and got the super high wind gizmos and can't wait to use them! Nine days and counting till next time out. They do make a big difference with darkening the bunkends as well as keeping heat in and cold out.

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
Here's a pic of covering the bunk ends using a 5' X 7' plastic tarp and right under the tarps is a sheet of the Reflectix. First off, darker for the bunk ends ... AND then resulting in a warmer bunk end inside AND a cooler interior bunk end in warm weather.

Cost was minimal and lasted for nine years ... don't know what the new owner is now using.

Picture023.jpg

PattieAM

Super Active Member
Dec 13, 2007
I have the PUGS's which help darken the bunkend tops, but a few weeks ago I took a 10x20 torn tarp from home (black/silver) and cut it almost to fit the 2 sides and end (with some left over).....used the existing PUGS clips for the sides, and clothes pins for the end and while it looked tacky - what a difference it made - blocked any/all wind as well as the light from outside.

I have some ideas about making the tarp prettier, but haven't done anything yet. I have a set of table cloth weights, but will probably sew on a few fishing weights to help keep the tarp from blowing/billowing. Might sew on some seam binding so the tarp fabric doesn't fray. I think that would be prettier than just using a cool iron and waxed paper to melt the edges to prevent fraying.

Advantages - during a slight storm, the tarp prevented leaf crap from hitting/sticking to the screens and kept the canvas clean.

Disadvantage - little to no air circulation - might affect condensation. Also don't know if the black/silver (I had silver out to match the PUGS) will rub off onto the tenting.

MIExplorer

Mar 29, 2010
I know its kind of a CHEAP way to go.....but has anyone tried the silver things that you can put in your car windows to kind of insulate and darken?

I was looking at a local store and they have them for $10 - 27" x 67" - they almost feel like a bubble wrap..covered in foil.

bearnbrie

Aug 16, 2009
East Texas
MIExplorer said:
I know its kind of a CHEAP way to go.....but has anyone tried the silver things that you can put in your car windows to kind of insulate and darken?

I was looking at a local store and they have them for $10 - 27" x 67" - they almost feel like a bubble wrap..covered in foil.

MIExplorer, you can buy the Reflectix in a 4ft.X50ft. roll at Lowes Home Improvement Stores, it is a bubble wrap covered in foil and is used in the heating and cooling industry to insulate duct work.