Darlington anyone?

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by va3rbz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

Hi folks
    Our next trip is going to be Darlington Provincial Park for the upcoming long weekend. Has anyone stayed there before, or even better is anyone going this weekend?

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I was thinking NASCAR then I saw you are Canadian [;)]

3. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Ha, Me too!!! Darlington Int. Speedway!! About 70 miles from my home. Darlington 500 every year.

4. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

Our Darlington is just as exciting: camping about 5 miles from a nuclear power plant ;)

5. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Sounds about as exciting as camping on the Columbia downstream of Hanford... Beautiful, and potentially deadly! [LOL]

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!! Do things GLOW around there?? [:O] [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Yes, cause I'd rather go to a Sewer Plant [8D]

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

BE NICE [{:)] ......... [LOL]

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

HAHAHAHAHA

I get it!!

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Were staying home this weekend, I get to work part of it .. weeeeeeee another long weekend shot for this year... Never been to Darlington PP, please write up a small report on the park and take pictures..

11. Doyle

Doyle Member

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd give some input. We have visited a number of times -- yes, close to the nuclear plant, but that hasn't been an issue as much as the loud trains. The park is located between the 401 hwy and Lake Ontario which of course is also home to a very busy rail line (double set of tracks before you drive into the park -- it's marked with signs but take those ones nice and slow!)

After you get used to the constant train traffic, the park is well kept. The kids enjoy the beach and the playground and there are some nice walking trails. We've been mid week and on long weekends and they do a good job managing the cg.

It is fairly close to home for us, so we tend to go there from time to time. We have some outstanding photos of the kids from October a few years back with all of the wonderful autumn leaves.

Cheers,

Mr Music

12. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Hey Mr Music....

We're looking at Darlington for September....kids are away with my ex so DH and I are planning to go alone (never thought it would happen!). Does it have hiking trails or just one?

Any pics would be great!

Thanks.
    Melissa

13. Doyle

Doyle Member

I believe there are three or four trails (none particularly long or challenging) -- although we with the two little kids at the time, didn't ever fully explore them. We would certainly start out with the intention and then get sidetracked by flowers or frogs or run into the playground area or throw stones into the lake.

We've always enjoyed our time there once you get used to the trains. Our kids LOVE trains so they didn't mind at all. They bothered DW a bit at night.

14. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Our two still LOVE trains.....and they are 9 & 7! My ex in-laws live in Brighton so we frequent Memory Junction at least once a month!

15. Doyle

Doyle Member

Well we took our maiden voyage today. Ventured the 15 minute drive from our place to Darlington. Left Saturday before noon, returned today about 1pm for the kids' nap.

I guess it had been over a year since we'd been to darlington. There was quite a bit of damage to the trees in the campground, but more so in the trails. Park was very quiet, perfect for is seeing as our just turned 1 year old goes to bed around 7, and the other two kids around 8:30. They and no problem falling asleep as the sound of the waves from Lake Ontario soothed them (countered by the twice hourly? Trains rolling by). There was a bird movie offered t the amphitheatre Saturday night which we did not attend. There was also a 10am shore bird hike today which we took the kids on and it was great. The kids loved it and learned a lot about birds.

The washrooms were nicer then I remember them, and were very clean. The store was open late - 10pm, which was handy for that extra bag of wood Saturday night.

All staff were very pleasant, and the only downside was the $45.20 for the night. But even with that, it's manageable I suppose.

All in all a good weekend. Excellent weather and some activities for the kids which was great. Perfect cg for our first ever trip in a pup!

Sent from my iPhone

16. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Mr Music! We were planning to go there in September, but friends of ours went last month and other friends went this weekend and both had iffy experiences.....so not sure anymore. But it may be more of a trip for just the two of us instead of with the kids.

How were the bugs?

17. Doyle

Doyle Member

Argh! Little bugs everywhere!!! Not sure what they were - didn't seem to bite. But swarms of them EVERYWHERE! They'd just land on us and stick. The poor one year old was covered in them as we didn't bring his mosquito net for the stroller.

Sent from my iPhone

18. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

I'm going there next weekend, not very happy about the trains but I couldn't find anything else at this time of year.
    We are beach people and never really been at a beach at lake Ontario (and so close to a nuclear facility !) so I would like to get some input if the beach is worth it or no.
    Thanks.

19. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

So I took the risk and spent four nights at Darlington.
    The park is really nice, but my opinion has to do with the fact that I got a great huge site with lake view, close to the washrooms, mostly grass and good shade.
    I read some people complaining about the highway noise and the train, yes, you can hear the highway late at night if there is no wind and the train could be an issue if you are cranky, otherwise you'll get used to it and not notice it (as much). Now, I was at the Lakeside campground, I believe that the noise at Hilltop might be much worse.
    My campsite was 2 minutes away from the beach which has a combination of sand and stones. The water is just ok, there is a small creek feeding into the lake that makes the water murky depending on the currents.
    The day use areas are quite nice with plenty of lake front picnic areas. The park is constantly patrolled and a crew comes and cleans each site once is emptied. Washrooms are a bit old but kept to the same standard I've seen everywhere else.
    There is a fishing hut where they have a program for kids, gear is lent to kids free of charge.
    I would definitely go back.

20. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That sounds more like any other park! Thanks jman.