Darn Rain!

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by hayyward, Jun 18, 2019.

1. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Last year, every single time we camped, we packed up in the rain! We've been out once this year and it rained and rained. The camp road was such a wet mess that both the TV and PUP were caked with mud. I've had 2 car washes and the TV is still a little dirty.

So we're planning to go again this weekend. I took a look at the forecast... rain, scattered thunderstorms and rain. Knowing that the weather forecasters often get it wrong (fingers crossed), we're going anyway because sometimes you just need to camp.

But first, I'm buying mud flaps! [MOD]

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am going too. I don't cancel based on a forecast... I may sell a pup and buy a TT but I don't cancel. [:D]

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I went a couple of weeks ago because we had reservations. It rained most of the time and was unseasonably cool all of the time. I am glad we had a TT. I probably would have bailed if I still had a popup.

hayyward and neighbormike like this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Even with the pup, I don't let any forecast discourage me. Worst case scenario, we set it up at home to dry. Not a big deal. Usually, the forecast is wrong. Twice, in the past year, we have went camping for a week where thunderstorms were predicted with 80% to 100% every single day during our trip. The first time, it rained a total of 20 daytime minutes the entire week. A couple of weeks ago, we had NO rain at all during the day, only the night. Day times were gorgeous!

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Living in Fl we never know what the weather will be, but if planned unless there is a dire emergency I go, I have hoses and other cleaning items after the trip is over.
    Good luck and have a great time.

Orchid, hayyward and neighbormike like this.
  6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My trip to FL. Next week says 30% chance of rain.....its Florida, I laugh at 30%.....lol

hayyward likes this.
  7. Orchid

We always have 30% - 40% chance of rain here, every single day of the summer just about. It doesn't usually happen. Anything under 80% here means nothing, and most often 80% and up means a quick 15 or 20 minute shower at worst. But, we have had rain here every day for a couple of weeks (unusual) so it should be nice next week. No possible way is this going to continue.

hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Same up here , rain , rain and more rain. I need to reseal my camper. But first it has to dry out! Uggg.

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We were out last weekend at Brown County State Park in Indiana. Rained all weekend, with tornadoes in the area to boot. Got to know the bath house really well :huh:

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We went away this past weekend and the weather was beautiful! But, once we got home and set the pup up in the driveway it started to rain. We leave for vacation on Friday and it's gonna rain everyday here in North Jersey!! I can't close it up so it looks like it might stay setup in the driveway until we get back. Not worth risking mildew growth!! Our son will be home most of the week while we are away. I'm hoping Friday morning stays dry long enough to close it up. If the sun is out I will have a few towels to wipe it all down and let it dry for a few hours before closing it up!! Fingers crossed!

11. Orchid

I hope they were nice bathhouses. [LOL] Back in the 90's, along with lots of other campers, we moved air mattresses to the bathhouse and slept there. It was actually kind of fun.

hayyward likes this.
  12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We were only there about 45 mins but we were all soaked because it was coming down in buckets. We stood around and talked...

hayyward likes this.
  13. neighbormike

God I can't imagine..... I would move my cooler in, not a mattress lol

hayyward and Orchid like this.
  14. Orchid

It was the middle of the night. Rangers came and woke everyone up. A tornado tore the campground apart that night. Lots of people had cots and mattresses in there, so DH went and got ours for the kids. DH & I stayed in chairs.

hayyward, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  15. neighbormike

Glad you weren't injured! I would have had fun watching out the door! I enjoy watching storms (to a point I suppose).

hayyward, Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  16. Orchid

Nobody watched out the door that night. It was dark as dark can be anyway. The kids slept through it all, despite being able to FEEL it all around us and hear it, it was deafeningly loud! We were all in a brick building, and thankfully safe. One person got caught in it and was in a phone booth for the whole thing. I suppose he got more of a view than he ever wanted. But nobody was hurt, just a lot of property damage including the dock completely gone and trees down everywhere.

17. neighbormike

A phone booth is definitely not on my "top ten places I want to be stuck in a severe storm in" list!

Orchid likes this.
  18. Orchid

I thought the same thing. [LOL] I don't remember if he stayed stationary or was flipped around. It's been too many years, just remember him being caught and that was the only shelter.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Making memories. :)

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Well, while eating breakfast this morning the Weatherman said we were going to get some pretty severe weather during the afternoon/evening hours. So I wiped down the fabric and vinyl the best I could. Closed it up and got it in the garage. I was able to raise the roof about 3-4 feet and still be able to open the garage door. I pulled the bunks out about a 1/3 of the way and was able to get the fabric and vinyl hanging out. So now just letting it all dry. Will leave it this way till we get back from vacation. Should take a while to dry! At least it won't stay setup in the driveway for the next week.

Sjm9911 likes this.