Davidson River Campground

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by BillBlackett, Dec 21, 2015.

1. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

With Cascade Lake campground closed, I'm looking to try another one.

I stayed at Davidson River campground years ago on the way to a backpacking trip, but don't remember much about it.

Tried to go have a drive through to check the place out, but they have a manned gate with "Campers Only" sign.

What are the best loops to stay on?

Any other tips?

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity - did you ask the guy at the gate to look around? I've always been allowed to look around when I ask. Basically I tell them I'm new to the area and am looking at campgrounds to book some trips. I've never had anybody turn me away. They know the local riff raff which is what they are trying to keep out and shouldn't have a problem letting a potential camper tour the place. Maybe call ahead and let them know that you are coming next time but I'm sure that you can schedule something to take a look for yourself.

3. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

No, I didn't ask. It was late in the day, and the kids were ready to go home.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Completely understand that.

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We haven't been to Davidson in 25 years or so....not much help. N Mills is nice, but haven't been there since they closed to other side,
    Love Powhatan...

6. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

I had forgotten I posted this 4 years ago. Have since been here several times - and it is now one of our favourite campsites!

What makes it so great?

Nearly all sites are spacious and secluded. There is an awesome little swimming area inside the campground on the Davidson River that has a jump off platform about 3 - 4 foot high over a deep section of the river. My 10 & 12 year old kids LOVE it! Then it is close to the town of Brevard - Like 10 minutes away. The O.P. Taylor's Toy Store downtown and Bracken Mountain Bakery are 2 must do stops in the town of Brevard, along with Dolly's Ice Cream stand which is just outside the National Forest boundary.

Then you've got Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls, Moores Cove Falls, The Cradle of Forestry, The Blue Ridge Parkway & Skinny Dip Falls all not too far away.

Book early my friends - It fills up fast!

BillyMc likes this.