Davidson River Rec. Area--Brevard

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
PISGAH FOREST, NC------Davidson River Recreation Area/Campground
It is 4 miles west of the town of Brevard and is close to Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls. Also only 5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hiking trails are abundant as is locations for fly fishing in the Davidson River. Tubing and swimming is popular in the river also.Bikes are available for rent in the campground also. It is open year round.
There are 8 loops with 174 sites. 121 nonreservable management sites, 42 reservable nonelectric and 11 reservable electric sites. All sites are mostly shaded to shaded and have picnic tables, tent pads, lantern posts, and fire rings with grills. Hot showers and flush toilets are scattered throughout. The sites in the "Sycamore" loop were all good but open to view from other sites however distance from other sites was good. All sites in "Appletree" and "Dogwood" loops were good. The sites in "Hemlock" were also good and they were the most secluded sites. The "Riverbend" loop had a swimming hole and was closest to the river. Again all sites here were good. Sites in "Laurel Loop and White Oak loop were also good. "Poplar" loop allows no generators but in the other loops you can use a generator for 4 hours a day between 8 am and 8pm.
This is a campground that I would recommend and is only one notch below the campground at Lake Powhatan. If you want to be nearest to Brevard and the other attractions mentioned then choose this campground. If you want to be closer to the attraction of Asheville then choose Lake Powhatan. Really have trouble with coming up with a negative. Maybe, should be more electric sites.

thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
Mt Pleasant, MI
Just made this same recommendation to someone in my Jeep group earlier today :)

Wife and I have been camping there since before we were married and we always go back. Lots of great waterfall hikes nearby, decent fishing, sliding rock, tubing on the river, and a really great ice cream stand right up the road :)

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
speckhunter80 said:
No we camped at Lake Powahatan the 1st until the 5th. Visited Mt. Pisgah, Davidson River and North Mills River on the 3rd.

Speckhunter...did you drive through the campground at Mt Pisgah as well. ? DW and I got married on Mt Pisgah so it's kind of a sentimental favorite. I like the elevation for the Mt Pisgah campground but it doesn't look all that inviting when compared to Powhatan and some others...what did you think ?

BillBlackett

Aug 26, 2013
I tent camped at Davidson River CG a couple nights 20 some years ago, but those were just quick over nighters en route to backcountry trips further up in the mountains.

Have a Friday and Saturday night stay booked in mid August.

Can't wait to actually explore this CG!

Latest posts