Davis Mountain SP Texas

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by phoodieman, Nov 15, 2019.

1. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

We stayed four days at Davis Mountain SP Texas. First night it was 24 degrees and we woke up to an ice covered camp ground. Not very many other campers so it was quiet. I doubt I will ever stay here again. I don't think five minutes went by without seeing some kind of park representative the ENTIRE time I was there. They constantly drove by 24 hours a day. I didn't necessarily feel intimidated, but I could have gone without this big brother type of surveilance. 20191111_181323.jpg 20191112_073640.jpg 20191112_074918.jpg 20191112_080403.jpg 20191112_122727.jpg

hq308 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Is that the one at Fort Davis? Was there back in the 80s.

3. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

I remember years ago we camped in Northern Spain and on one site we were the only tourers the rest of the units were season caravans. During the day and night a security guy rode his squeaky bike around the campsite every hour or so it was a bit disconcerting we were glad to leave that place.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The good thing is that we have options where we camp, if we have a bad experience at one park there are plenty more parks to test out. We all get favorites that we really enjoy. Good Luck and Hopefully you will have a better experience the next time.

5. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Yes it is.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a let down. I haven't been to Davis Mountain SP yet, but I have yet to have any sort of camp host / ranger patrol activity where it was intrusive. I expect them to come through late morning to check on folks that are checking out, and early / mid evening to see what sites are checked into to verify that people are abiding by the rules and paying for sites sort of stuff. I am truly hopeful you are exaggerating on the every 5 minutes thing, because if that was the case, they are being truly wasteful of their time and my tax money.

If indeed they were driving by every 5 minutes, that is a good indicator that the park was either not a safe place to stay, OR the park staff was bored off their collective cans. And while you were in a public place, there is a reasonable expectation of some level of privacy.

All that set aside for now. I must say it really was pretty there when you were there. Light dusting of snow and all.

You might have wanted to move that rock under your trailer bumper before backing in. I have seen that a lot over the years. Small boulders do not belong there.

7. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

During the day I literally saw some sort of representative every five minutes. Staff was everywhere. They seemed way over staffed for the time of year and the amount of sites that were occupied. They might have been at %10 capacity if that. It was cold so I ran the heater at night. Couldn't hear much outside the camper. I did see headlights go by a lot of times. I slept well all the nights I was there so I don't know what their patrol schedule was at night.

That small boulder was a substitute for the back curb stabilizer. The site wasn't very level and the stabilizer wouldn't go down. So I used that rock to level the camper in. I did back in further than was probably intended so some of the levelness was on me.

As I was leaving a Lear jet cruised by overhead at about a 1000 feet. From what I could tell he had been in that valley and was probably going to stay in it as long as he could. I don't think any radar would have located him. What was he carrying? Don't know. Was he about to land on a low flat and meet some of that park staff? Don't know that either.

Phoodieman