DD-17DSI Woes...Ineffective

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by sebring96hbg, Oct 23, 2011.

1. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

The DD-17DSI furnace in my NTU 2007 Rockwood 2280 is blowing barely warm air after hours of use in 40 degree weather. It seems to be fighting a losing battle to stay above 60 degrees inside the pup. The flame is mostly blue with a little yellow. The thermostat works. It comes on and off per the thermostat. The flame seems ineffective despite no apparent blockage in the ports.

I don't know what to expect. It may be fine; but we are new to this. Is this as expected for an uninsulated pup or should I take it in for service? Please advise, Joe

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

One problem with heaters. If its not heating the air that it already is heating it won't get very warm. If its heating cold air from the outside and pushing it into the pup, then its not going to get very warm. Example your car. If you put you heater knob on CIRCULATE it is heating up already warm air in the car and will get hotter and hotter. But if you pull air from outide the car and it come thru the heating coils cold, it will not heat as efficiently. Does that make sense. So to heat the pup effifienctly in COLD weather, you need to have a heater that is "re-heating" the air on the inside and NOT drawing air from the outside. Gas heaters give off carbon minoxide and will kill you, so it is designed to draw "fresh air" from the outside and then heat it and deposit it inside the pup. Best use an electric heater after you use teh gas heater to initially heat the inside air. The lectric will be used primarily to maintain and even heat up the air inside the pup.

JJ

3. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

I can't advise as to what might be wrong, but the furnace in my 2010 Rockwood 1640LTD cranks out some HOT air with outside temps in the 40's. My PUP is a little smaller than yours, but the furnace has no trouble keeping us toasty warm without the benefit of PUG's, Reflectix, etc.

See what others respond with, but sounds like service may be in order for your furnace.

Side note-I use my rooftop A/C's heat setting (only 1500W) to supplement the PUP's furnace as well as to circulate the furnace heat. A lot of campers use portable electric heaters--with the smaller footprint of my PUP and the DD being along, I just prefer to chance using portable heat.

4. phipps

phipps Member

The furnace DOES recirculate the air inside the pup. It draws combustion air from the outside. The burner "circuit" and heating "circuit" are seperate.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If the furnace is "barely blowing warm air" in the described situation something is wrong. The furnace needs to be checked and serviced/repaired.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

Sorry about the double-post--I was trying to fix an error in my prior post and hit the wrong button!

7. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

8. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I would agree with something being wrong with the furnace.

Both our pups that we have had with furnaces would toast you out of the pup, in fact the biggest problems with furnances in pups usually isn't that they won't keep you warm but that the thermostats do a less than stellar job of regualting the heat resulting in cycling on and off repeatedly. Some folks switch out the stock pup t-stat to an aftermarket digital one to help diminish this problem.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

You can also adjust the anticipator setting on the T-stat.

10. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

Thanks everyone! I did adjust the anticipator after checking the Suburban tech guide. It feels a little warm, but not toasty warm blowing from the furnace. I appreciate all the responses so I know what my expectations for the furnace should be. Yes, I will have it serviced.

11. jimerica

jimerica New Member

I realize this is an old thread, but after working on my DD-17DSI, I thought I'd let everyone know what I found.
    I had the same problem... everything appeared to work correctly, but very little heat.
    I removed heater from trailer and used an air compressor to flush all my propane lines.
    With heater on bench, I removed the solenoid valve along with the tube to the orifice (I didn't separate tube from valve).
    removed orifice and got a palm full of rust out of the tube. I applied 12v to solenoid, and blew the whole thing out with air compressor.
    Reassembled, and everything works well, with plenty of heat!
    Hope that helps someone out.

Jason212, neighbormike and Jwwiff like this.