De-winterizing 2012 A122s Rockwood Aframe

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
Getting ready soon to dewinterize aframe. In the fall, I did not put antifreeze into the fresh water tank at all. We haven't used it. I put antifreeze into the sink lines, water pump only, outside shower. Removed water filter under the sink and water heater was left in bypass mode, which I never used yet. The antifreeze was pumped in by a clear hose that was connected to pump and other end, right into jug of antifreeze. I also can't seem to find the low point drains. I want to make sure I do this dewinterizing correctly due to the fact I have never used the water heater but the tank was totally emptied in the fall. Help appreciated

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Do the same is you winterized but with clear water. You want to pump clear water thru the water pump. The rest of the system could be done with the city water connection.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I did not put antifreeze into the fresh water tank at all. We haven't used it. I put antifreeze into the sink lines, water pump only, outside shower.

I am confused which is not unusual. Please Help me understand. "We haven't used it." Does this mean the main tank has never had water in it since you have owned it since "x" years ago? The reason I ask is the "water pump only," is how you get water from the main tank to the sink, etc when the "city" water isnt connected. How did you get antifreeze into the water pump without partially filling the main tank with antifreeze ?

Last edited:

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
I am confused which is not unusual. Please Help me understand. "We haven't used it." Do this mean the main tank has never had water in it since you have owned it since "x" years ago? The reason I ask is the "water pump only," is how you get water from the main tank to the sink, etc when the "city" water isnt connected. How did you get antifreeze into the water pump without partially filling the main tank with antifreeze ?
we have only used once since purchasing last fall. Dealer gave me a heavy, short piece of clear hose and a connector for the water pump. The other end went into the jug of antifreeze. We didn't need fresh water tank.
I am confused which is not unusual. Please Help me understand. "We haven't used it." Do this mean the main tank has never had water in it since you have owned it since "x" years ago? The reason I ask is the "water pump only," is how you get water from the main tank to the sink, etc when the "city" water isnt connected. How did you get antifreeze into the water pump without partially filling the main tank with antifreeze ?

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
we have only used once since purchasing last fall. Dealer gave me a heavy, short piece of clear hose and a connector for the water pump. The other end went into the jug of antifreeze. We didn't need fresh water tank.
I should clarify that we are usually always at a full hookup site. I'm just not sure how to get the antifreeze out without filling the fresh water tank or water heater.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Nanapoppypops

Find a 5' section of hose that will slip onto the feed end port of the pump. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and stick the hose into it. Five gallons of water should flush the pump.

If you NEVER use the main tank you can leave the pump full of anti freeze and go just downstream of the pump and install an inline shut off valve. This is what I did to the exterior shower water lines as we never use them and got tired of dealing with it in the winter. We camp 12 months a year and rarely have hard freezes. (teens) We blow the system out with compressed air.

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
@Nanapoppypops

Find a 5' section of hose that will slip onto the feed end port of the pump. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and stick the hose into it. Five gallons of water should flush the pump.

If you NEVER use the main tank you can leave the pump full of anti freeze and go just downstream of the pump and install an inline shut off valve. This is what I did to the exterior shower water lines as we never use them and got tired of dealing with it in the winter. We camp 12 months a year and rarely have hard freezes. (teens) We blow the system out with compressed air.
Okay, I winterized with the tube and adapter to water pump, so I would just get clear water in a jug orvpail and connect hose to water pump. Turn water pump on and run the faucets? Is this done with water heater still in bypass? And if I'm not using the water heater right now, can I leave it in bypass. I won't be using fresh water tank either. Thanks for help

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Nanapoppypops

5' was used because I envisioned a short piece of tubing just big enough to stick into a gallon jug of antifreeze. Where my water pump is located, it would be easier if the bucket of water was located several feet away. All you are doing is providing source of clear water other than the main tank. The pump should suck the water out of the bucket.

Unfortunately I can't help with the water heater question. The original owner custom ordered mine without a water heater. I understand the theory but have no practical hands on. I am a if I can see it I understand it person. if the water heater is cut out of the water system by valves and there is no anti freeze in the heater you should be good.

Thinking about this I would connect the city water and flush the system with it. Remember, you have two sources of water and need to flush the system from both water sources. Then run enough bucket water to flush the pump out from the bucket, then go back and flush a couple gallons thru the city water

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
@Nanapoppypops

5' was used because I envisioned a short piece of tubing just big enough to stick into a gallon jug of antifreeze. Where my water pump is located, it would be easier if the bucket of water was located several feet away. All you are doing is providing source of clear water other than the main tank. The pump should suck the water out of the bucket.

Unfortunately I can't help with the water heater question. The original owner custom ordered mine without a water heater. I understand the theory but have no practical hands on. I am a if I can see it I understand it person. if the water heater is cut out of the water system by valves and there is no anti freeze in the heater you should be good.

Thinking about this I would connect the city water and flush the system with it. Remember, you have two sources of water and need to flush the system from both water sources. Then run enough bucket water to flush the pump out from the bucket, then go back and flush a couple gallons thru the city water
Appreciate! Can I hook up my house hose to city water outlet? I guess I would leave water heater in bypass mode, turn city water on and open faucets? Do I turn on water pump during this process? Also have you any idea what this is? Found in a bag that came with paper work. Thanks for you time

Attachments

• IMG_9806.JPG
    IMG_9806.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9807.JPG
    IMG_9807.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 5

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
Getting ready soon to dewinterize aframe. In the fall, I did not put antifreeze into the fresh water tank at all. We haven't used it. I put antifreeze into the sink lines, water pump only, outside shower. Removed water filter under the sink and water heater was left in bypass mode, which I never used yet. The antifreeze was pumped in by a clear hose that was connected to pump and other end, right into jug of antifreeze. I also can't seem to find the low point drains. I want to make sure I do this dewinterizing correctly due to the fact I have never used the water heater but the tank was totally emptied in the fall. Help appreciated
As some kind person told me, watch going NoWhereFast. He's good.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Harder to sanitize the water system without using the water tank. Not impossible just harder..

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
It sounds faster from what I read. If I use the fresh water tank to sanitize, does water still have to go into city water outlet too or not. I'm also having a heck of a time finding low point drains on this aframe . I've been under that camper and not yo be found bug inside by sink area it looks like they might be there but not thru the floor. Will have to get pics when opened up. Thanks for help

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Not all trailers have low point drains my Palomino popup didn't have them .. Just ment using more water to flush out the antifreeze and sanitizing mix..

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
It sounds faster from what I read. If I use the fresh water tank to sanitize, does water still have to go into city water outlet too or not. I'm also having a heck of a time finding low point drains on this aframe

There are no factory lowpoint drains on an Aliner. You have to make them yourself.

The city water inlet and the main tank/pump are connected to each other thru a "y" connection. Yes, you wash the city water section that's above the "y" then you wash the pump section that's above the "y". Not using the tank makes things harder.

Look underneath the main tank and see if there is a drain. If so fill the tank , run water thru the pump then drain what's left in the tank. I can appreciate you not wanting to put water in the main tank. Dont get me started about the evils of drinking water from a plastic container. I am aware that BPA is just one of a long list of chemicals in plastic. That the Fed Govt is now documenting BPS and Phalix (SP) for eventual banning. I understand that men who drink out of plastic bottles have lower testosterone levels. We personally haul our water in 1 gallon glass jugs and use the main tank to adjust the center of gravity of the camper so it handles better. I dont understand why not fill the tank then drain whats left out.

Yes, you can use the house water and connect it to the city water port.

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
There are no factory lowpoint drains on an Aliner. You have to make them yourself.

The city water inlet and the main tank/pump are connected to each other thru a "y" connection. Yes, you wash the city water section that's above the "y" then you wash the pump section that's above the "y". Not using the tank makes things harder.

Look underneath the main tank and see if there is a drain. If so fill the tank , run water thru the pump then drain what's left in the tank. I can appreciate you not wanting to put water in the main tank. Dont get me started about the evils of drinking water from a plastic container. I am aware that BPA is just one of a long list of chemicals in plastic. That the Fed Govt is now documenting BPS and Phalix (SP) for eventual banning. I understand that men who drink out of plastic bottles have lower testosterone levels. We personally haul our water in 1 gallon glass jugs and use the main tank to adjust the center of gravity of the camper so it handles better. I dont understand why not fill the tank then drain whats left out.

Yes, you can use the house water and connect it to the city water port.

Okay, I'll go the city water route, we just had snow in lake Placid, can't believe it. More time to check things out I guess. Too cold to dewinterize now! Thanks for help