Deadhorse Ranch statepark

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Tukee44, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

I stayed there in early April. We got a great time. Want to comeback someday.

Most of the sites are shaded. It has flush toilet, hot shower. The Verde river was flowing full that time of year. Sedona is only 30 minutes away. We hiked the Cathedral Rock, the kids love it.

2. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

Hello Tukee44,

Welcome to the portal from Glendale , AZ.
    We are having our Spring Rally next weekend. Care to join us? :)

3. freenaz

freenaz Member

Welcome Tukee44 from Chandler Arizona!

4. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Sorry I can't go anywhere until Summer. DW works in the hospital and she needs to schedule her weekend off couple months in advance.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I stayed at the park in May 2014. Here's my review of it.

Dead Horse Ranch SP has a typical mid-to-low elevation desert setting with sage, 12" scrub grass, 10-20 foot conifers and some mesquite. It's at 3,300 feet. Some sites are well-placed for privacy while others are a bit close. The site pads are big and easy to back into with plenty of space left over for the TV after unhitching. The roads and pads are paved and level. Electric and water hook-ups are present in most sites. All sites have tables and fire rings. The CG has trash collection, a dump station, flush toilets and showers that are included in the price of the sites, which is $25 per night. The shower rooms were clean. The park also has a picnic area, playground, a kayak/canoe launching dock in the small lagoon, fishing and a fish-cleaning station. There is frontage on the Verde River and many hiking trails. All together it covers 423 acres. The front office has ice and firewood for sale. The staff was very courteous and helpful.

There are five loops and a loop of eight cabins. Each loop has a host. The Raven Loop with 23 sites is equestrian and primarily for groups. It has only one site with electric. The Quail Loop has 45 sites and, IIRC, is set up with pull-throughs for big rigs. These and the cabins are near the ranger station and park entrance. The other three loops are farther away from the rest of the park. Blackhawk Loop is tent only with 17 sites. Cooper's Hawk Loop has 28 sites and Red-Tailed Hawk Loop has 37. I was in Red-Tailed Hawk Loop at Site 76.

Gathering firewood is prohibited in the park. Check-in time is 2:00 PM and check-out time is Noon. Quiet hours are 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM. Since most of the park has electric hookups generators are prohibited. Length of stay is 14 nights in any 30-day period. Amplified music and public address systems are prohibited. The park phone is 928-634-5283 and the reservation line is 520-586-2283. The park is located just north of the city of Cottonwood. If you are coming from Sedona on AZ89A take a right turn on the Mingus Extension instead of looping through downtown. At Historic 89A (aka Main Street) turn right and follow the signs to the park.

Here's a shot of my campsite at Dead Horse Ranch.
    [​IMG]

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

This is a real nice place no doubt, Verde river is beautiful. Best if you can get a spot in Quail loop where we stayed for the Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival. Real fun event yearly.

The Cottonwood trees here are one of a kind in the state of Arizona. Birding is outstanding and during the event, there is some of the most accredited and well known here giving guided tours, Owl Prowl etc. My wife digs it so...

[​IMG]

The campgrounds are positioned right on the Verde River in Cottonwood, Dead Horse Ranch State Park has all of the amenities that you would need to have a great camping adventure. With hookups for RV's, showers and a dump station, Dead Horse is an ideal campground to call home while discovering the Verde Valley area. Historic Jerome sits on the mountain just a few miles from south of Cottonwood. (That's another trip I'll post later) Tuzigoot National Monument is just around the corner and Montezuma Castle is just 15 miles away, and the scenic red rocks of Sedona lie just north of Dead Horse. I hear the fishing is excellent for channel and flathead catfish, rainbow trout (fall, winter and spring) smallmouth and largemouth bass. The park even has a couple of stocked ponds that hold some nice trout in the cooler months.

There is a real fun canoe trip you can reserve that takes you a few miles down the river. A guide speaks of the river, the birds and at the end of the trip you have lunch at an awesome ranch. We were glad we didn't miss this!

[​IMG]

Kicking back at the Quail Loop after a day of canoeing and fun, fun, fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sussya

Sussya Member

Just got back from Dead Horse Ranch last weekend. It is a really nice park. We were concerned because it was pretty close to town, but it still felt secluded. And it was actually convenient to have Wal-Mart close, because we ended up forgetting a few things.

[​IMG]

The sites are nicely spaced (at least in the Quail Loop), and the bathrooms and warm showers are clean (and free). Our site had more than enough room to spread out and enjoy ourselves. There was a grill and a fire ring, which was nice. The weather was beautiful and Sedona, Jerome, and a couple of national monuments are close for day trips.

[​IMG]

It is definitely a family campground. There were kids riding bikes and scooters throughout the park, but no one was rude or disruptive. We are already planning a return trip. [;)]

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Everyone else had covered the basics. We have been in the Redtail Hawk loop for the last couple nights. Very nice place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lagoons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We visited Sedona, Slide Rock SP, did the Red Rock Scenic Drive, Cathedral Rock, etc.

[​IMG]

Tonight's sunset