Dealer invoice prices for pop-up trailers?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by cherk, Jul 11, 2015.

1. cherk

cherk New Member

Just wanted to check....is there a website where I can find dealer invoice prices for pop-up trailers? I'd like to find something similar to Car Cost Canada, which would help cut through the song and dance of the negotiations process. Any tips?

2. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 New Member

That is a great question. For buying a car, there are a ton of resources to help you negotiate that report on invoices, "fair price estimates", and sometimes even factory to dealer incentives ("Truecar", Consumer Reports, etc). There are even buyers services for those who want a fair price but don't want the bother of negotiating. We have been spoiled.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything like that for pop-ups and RVs. The best I've found is NADA for used pop-ups. If you are buying new, you can always use RV Direct (especially if you live near one of their locations) to at least get a ballpark of where your bottom line should be (why pay more than you know you can get from them if you live close enough)- they will email you their bottom line price, and I've emailed on a couple pups and never had them continue to hassle me (they answer your question and wait for you). Though, if like me you are a full day's drive from the closest locations that will only do so much good (and I still don't know if they pull the crap most RV dealers do with fees).

Since there do not seem to be any similar websites to those we have in car buying for information to help with negotiating, does the collective wisdom from this site have any rules of thumb for negotiating? When I was in car sales (over 20 years ago) it was a safe bet to be able to negotiate about $2K off used cars at dealers (I knew what we were asking, I knew how much work we put into them, and I know what we paid for trade-ins and had some idea what we paid for cars we got at auction, and I knew what we were actually selling the cars for). Is there something similar with pop-ups? Buying new, is it a safe target to try to get say $2K off the sticker, or maybe a percentage is better (10%, 20%, 30%)? How about used from a dealer? Just use NADA, or is there a number or percentage off asking price that is a safe target price?

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Following this thread

4. cherk

cherk New Member

The only information that helped me prepare so far is finding the exact same tent trailer model/year in another market that is more competitively priced…I'm guessing that other dealer is still making a profit, and it was $2K less expensive than the sticker price here in AB. I know shipping is a factor, but at least that gave me some leverage to start the conversation. But even with that information, it's still a shot in the dark, because I don't know invoice prices. How do I know if I've got a good deal?

5. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

I think there must be a huge mark-up on pop-ups because I see a huge range in prices. When we bought ours a couple of weeks ago I searched all over California, Arizona, and Nevada for the best deal. We were between a Rockwood 2318g and the Jayco 1209SC we ended up purchasing. I know ours was the last 2015 on the lot, but we ended up getting 10k off the sticker price (including destination and prep fees). The sticker with fees was $22,995 and we got it for $12,500. It took a lot of work on my end because I had to keep emailing dealers for their best price and then playing them off one another, but in the end we got a deal we were happy with and, best of all, it was only about an hour and a half away from our house.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Same here. In 2011 the sticker on my Avalon was $27,000. Wouldn't budge an inch. Made an offer over the phone to a dealer 5 hours away, saved $11,000 on the same trailer. It is whatever the market will bear. Depends on how long the dealer had been holding the unit, the sales stats for that month and the internal policies of the dealership. Ask to see the white sheet. They (dealers) always deny knowledge of them but they exist. There is a bottom line on everything. Knowing where that is goes a long way in the negotiation. If you have no idea, toss out a number and walk away if it is rejected.

8. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Now.....please, some, anyone, explain to me HOW is that possible?
    To go from $22K to $12K?
    Really?

9. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

That holds true for ALL negotiating tactics......if you have a realistic accurate knowledgable number in mind......AND are willing to walk.....that's the best asvantage you as the consumer have over a dealership.......but....keep in mind, there "IS" a bottom figure a dealer will simply NOT (...no wait CANT) go below.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

A friend of mine used to work for a car dealership. He attended a week long training class for sales taught by psychologists on how to work potential customers. That said, they are trained to get whatever they can out of you. I would have to expect that the $11,000 savings I realized is either an inflated price they never expected to get, or they expected to actually get it and it just never happened and had to move this u it out of the lot. It was the last one Coleman supplied them with and they did have it a year.

So, jack up the sticker, give the customer a huge saving and make feel like they got the deal,of the century. It's done all the time. Ever see a commercial offering. A car for a ridiculous low price. Ha, there is 1 available at that price and it is sacrificial. They write the loss in sales off in advertising. It's a shell game all around.

11. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Here is our window sticker. We spent several weeks in this process before finalizing the sale on June 30th for $12,495 + tax and DMV.

Attached Files:

12. gruss

gruss Active Member

I don't know about the 10k savings, but I do know the dealer we bought ours from @ least 2k cheaper then anything I could find on the web. And even used nada value for mine now is 2k more than we paid. Deals are out there for those willing to search and wait....and walk away if necessary.
    Not sure if it was this forum or another, but however far away az is, someone asked about an identical camper to mine, even with delivery it would have been cheaper to buy where I got mine and have it set in their driveway, compared to what their local dealer was asking.
    sent from a phone.

13. cherk

cherk New Member

Hmmmm……I took a look at the website link provided by Swordfish, and yes there's a lot of information missing, but here's what I found looking at the data:

There were 45 tent trailers listed for 2015 comprised of the Flagstaff and Jayco brands. Mark-ups ranged from 29% to 33%.

There were only 17 Rockwood tent trailers listed for 2014. Mark-ups ranged from 24% to 30% with an average mark-up of 29%.

There were only 18 tent trailer models from Starcraft for 2016. Mark-ups sat consistently at 31%.

So, the data is fairly limited, but the results look fairly consistent and a reasonable rule-of-thumb would be to assume dealers have about a 30% mark-up on the invoice price for tent trailers.

I'm not sure how freight, PDI or any of those other dealer add-ons factor into these numbers, but at least this is another piece of information to help negotiate a better deal.

14. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Member

One of the greatest resources I have found is Jayco's website. You can "build" your pop up there and get the msrp, including the required canadian package. Then subtract 30-33% from msrp and have great base to start with. If you go to their factory direct/hometown store yourrvconnections.com they will give you the bottom line qoute that is good "forever" *note the sight says 25% or more off msrp

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

RV Dealers have a floor plan. This includes prices etc. If they cannot sell an RV in a certain time (usually until the new models come in, they have a (basically tax) cost to pay, they must get rid of them or pay..The best time to buy new is when the new models come in
    and you can then purchase :last years model at a reduced rate. Also as stated whatever the market will bear comes into play. But the dealers have a heck of a mark up also, just like jewelry.