Dealers are cashing in.

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by firepit, Jan 19, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Been sniffing around looking at TT'S.
    I knew I should have bought before Covid.
    Holy Cow dealers are cashing in bigtime.
    I can't believe the jump in prices on the stuff I am interested in
    versus a year and half ago.
    I get the the supply and demand thing.
    But the demand for me is not that high.
    I am glad I already have something...I feel
    for those who don't have anything and have to pay the price
    or go without.
    Just one example...I was looking at a new one before Covid
    and could have bought for $12500.
    Now the same camper I am seeing is $18-$20K.
    That's what I get for waffling.

DiamondGirl and neighbormike like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

You got the right. When heading back down to a NFS campground we were working at, the host texted us to say "we are almost full!" People had discovered camping again, which is a good thing. We almost boon-docked a mile away and still could have got our work done. This morning I chatted with a friend who said the little tourist town Copper harbor where they reside at, was over ran with tourist this past summer. This info of course, won't help you find a camper. Maybe your trade in value is up as well???

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Supply and demand has been a big thing with all the folks wanting to get into any type of camping. In addition, manufacturing has been effected by shortages of components and workers.
    There are some theories that once Covid eases up, there will be lots of campers for sale by people who either didn’t like it, or liked it so well they want to up-size.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. firepit

I was thinking of keeping my pop up in the family and I don't
    finance...But I can't justify or afford spending that much now.
    I guess my possible lucky family member will just have wait.
    Hopefully someday we get back to normal...If not I got more time to
    rat hole some more money.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Not only are the prices inflated they won't give you squat on a trade in.
    Camping World here is the worst.

DiamondGirl, Rik Peery and firepit like this.
  6. firepit

They are all that way...They low ball you and then ask the world
    for it...They are there to cut a fat hog on ya.
    For every 1 person that drives a hard bargain they get 5 or 6 that don't.
    Right now they know they don't have deal with you because a customer is right behind you
    waiting to pay up.
    My favorite tactic they use when they sell you a pop up.
    Is they tell you how great and handy they are and how they can't keep
    them in stock.
    Then when you go to trade it in....They say...Well we just can't give you much
    for it...Used pop ups are hard to move and we can't really mark them up much.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep, grab yer ankles & grin time on a lot of stuff...dealer here at home didn't have time to return calls all year after a purchase back March, but sure as hay wants to re-sale our tear drop on consignment...not a snowball's chance on a stove will he profit from us...

firepit, DiamondGirl and neighbormike like this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is still crazy. I know in my industry most companies are not planning a return to the office until June this year, and realistically it will be a phased re-opening through the end of the year based on trending and vaccine rollout. A lot of people are thinking they may be in for more of the same as we had last year, so camping and any kind of RV is still hot. Couple that with labor and supply chain shortages and you get high demand and high prices. We won't be making a change to a TT/HTT any time soon until things cool off, but then the used market should hopefully be very good as people start unloading their campers and go back to flying/driving and hotels.

9. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Someone in one of the Facebook groups for Grand Design today was bragging how they got the dealer to come down 2 grand on the same model I bought less then 2 years ago. They still paid just about 50% more then I paid. I'm glad I bought when I did.

Ductape, firepit, Sjm9911 and 3 others like this.
  10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Yes, it’s definitely not a good time to buy. We’re looking to buy a TT and sell our Aliner. I can’t find one in my price range. They’re $5k to $15k more than a year ago. The TT I would like sells out right away and at $15k more than it was in 2019. Looks like I’m keeping the Aliner longer than expected. I don’t want to overpay and be upside down on the loan versus value. And I won’t sell my Aliner until I have a replacement.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

firepit, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  11. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

From what I see the MSRP has not changed much it is what the dealer is willing to sell it for now. The MSRP is always inflated and the dealers used to drop that sometimes a third off. But supply and demand has let the dealers cut that way down. Cant say I blame them much as people will pay if they really want it. Make it while they can because soon the demand will drop.

kcsa75, southern gal and DiamondGirl like this.
  12. firepit

Patience is the key...Some think prices are hear to stay because camping is gonna continue to grow in popularity and new campers are gonna keep camping.
    Right now its a fad and fads come and go.
    Ive watched plenty of new campers this yr and seen plenty of bored kids that never leave the camper or put their cell phone down.
    Also ive seen plenty set up and leave in the car all day long only to return for a few hours and go to bed.
    I see a lot of people just wanting something ( anything )
    From the norm right now.
    Back when i was a kid i grew
    Up camping from diapers on
    And couldnt wait to go and havent stopped.
    Now with cells phones...video games...computers..sports year around...lots of kids
    Seem to be bored when camping.
    Times are different and everyone seems to be busy.
    Even in my own family i see it.
    It may not slow down this yr but it will eventually and us die hard campers will have our turn for some great deals.

13. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I love how the same units are $5k difference between dealers that are 40 miles apart. Don't they check the competition?

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

It's all the way through the supply chain. The component suppliers are struggling to meet demand and lead times are pushed way out. If you've sold out your production of stoves for the next six months, why discount? Everyone is getting fat except the consumer.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Having bought our Aliner 3 weeks before COVID changed everything last year, it's crazy how it appreciated in value this past year. RV's don't appreciate! Except in 2020.

That said, the camping bug seems in full swarm again this upcoming summer. State parks are booked way out, as are the few NPS campgrounds within a days drive.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. DiamondGirl

I’ve debated about buying the TT from out of state at a bigger discount ($10k-$12k less) and having it shipped. AZ prices are insane. I’m not sure about warranty stuff. Can we take to a local dealership for repairs and still be covered. Plus, I want to see before buying sight unseen. Pictures aren’t reliable. And I don’t want to travel for repairs.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

M
    Might wanna sit tight, especially for the reasons mentioned, especially the "travel for repairs part"...

DiamondGirl and firepit like this.
  18. DiamondGirl

Yup. I’m going to be patient because it’s too much to spend and I definitely don’t want to travel for repairs. My buddy bought a new HTT and it’s been to the dealership for repairs many times. So I know if we buy new, there’s no guarantee it won’t need repairs. I prefer a slightly used model with a warranty. But I haven’t been lucky enough to find one because of the shortage.

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. cjm0mmy

cjm0mmy Member

We got super lucky and got our used TT at the beginning of the pandemic camping rush. A 2018 bought in early May. For a super price that we probably couldn't find now. We had been thinking of purchasing this year or next, but I ran across the ad for the one we got and we drove two hours to check it out and couldn't resist the opportunity. Boy am I glad we did! I think the seller didn't realize where the market was heading because I still can't believe the deal we got. He even came down 10% without any haggling. Or, he just really needed to get rid of it in a hurry. It was like brand new. I agree with some other posters that there will probably be a glut of used campers on the market in a year or two. And maybe new ones if they over produce. Wishing all those looking the same luck we had!

Rik Peery and kitphantom like this.
  20. VacayOnMyMind

VacayOnMyMind New Member