Dealing with fallen tree on road

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Brian2020, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Brian2020

Brian2020 Member

Years back I was driving on a logging road and came across a tree freshly fallen across the road, blocking our path. Over time, as a few other cars pulled up we acquired enough people and a truck with a tow rope, we all pushed while the truck pulled and we were able to move the tree enough for cars to drive around it.

Now as I boondock more I wonder what would happen if I were to get stuck by another tree fallen across the logging road I am using. What if the road is less popular than the one I as on before, and I have to go at it alone, without cell service?

Here is my thinking. I pack a saw and strong rope. Cut the tree in the middle and pull it with the SUV just enough for my rig to get by. Anyone else think about this scenario and prepare for it? If so, what saw do you carry? I don't want to take a chain saw as it's overkill for an unlikely scenario. However I want something I can use to cut through a sizeable tree if needed in an emergency.

2. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

Your best bet is to pick up a craftsman chain saw. I see you said no chain saw but I would rather not be messing with a tree with a hand saw. They really don't cost that much and you would no on your way in a matter of minuets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I have thought about getting the new Stihl 36V chain saw but the $350 price has prevented it.

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would hike out and get some help. I don't have room to pack the solutions for all the what-if's in my camper?

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Depends mostly on where you're going. If it's out in the middle of nowhere, I would tend to pack more things for emergency situations. I rarely camp out in the boondocks anymore but standard items usually included a chainsaw, a couple of strong snatch straps and a good come-a-long.

6. steved

steved New Member

For me, unless its really big; I'd just hook the winch it (I said winch, not wench) and slide it out of the way...if I knew I was going into a place that I could have a big tree down or where I might be on my own, I'd take my MS391 Stihl. While I don't do it all the time, I have packed my lighter saw because there was a chance for bad weather where we were camping...figure its better than nothing.

If I boonedocked, the Stihl would be one of the first things packed.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

1st I'd suggest that if you've never felled/pruned trees, don't bother and get help. It's easy for a novice to get hurt cutting up a big one. 2nd, just how big a tree do you want to be prepared for? Different trees, different equipment.

I've got a bow saw that could handle up to a 2' trunk using multiple cuts but you'll need arms like pistons. A better option would be a one-man crosscut saw like this. But again, it's a lot of work. Personally, if I really wanted to be prepared for this, I'd get a Stihl. They make great saws. I've got an older version of the MS 261. It's taken down over 250 trees for me and still works great.

8. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Go around?

9. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Get a big bucket of C4.... [LOL] [;)]

I'd find a battery powered chain saw, that would help for small trees and such. But if a huge tree falls over the road you may be sol eitherway....

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I always carry a power saw. Never leave home without it

11. steved

steved New Member

Some of the roads I was cruising in New York were single lane, and steep on both sides...there was no option to go around, let alone turn a trailer around for 1000+ yards. A lot of the states I've done back roads exploring have been that way.

In some instances, going around isn't really a viable option...

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

If it was 24" or less I would drive over it. Locked front and rear axle will get you over it and if you have a offroad type pup with 18" of clearance on the frame will easily slide over provided you have the water tank in a well protected place above the axle.
    I always carry a chain saw when I boondock and I also have a winch.
    Keep in mind my Jeep ZJ is lifted 4" and rides on 33" tall tires and the pup is a Starcraft 10RT with no front storage area.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If I'm doing some back wood camping, I add to the stuff I bring a come-along. It can pull back many fallen trees and branches and is handy is I get stuck. The big trees and branches are would still be a problem. But I'm not packing for a solution for every problem. I will hike out and get the help I need. if needed.

14. steved

steved New Member

See, that's the problem around here, they are typically about windshield high. Hard to drive over them! [:D]

15. wileetoyote

wileetoyote http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0

I tried this once... was hilarious (not so much at the time though). REALLY wish i took a pic but was too busy trying to save myself from disaster.

Imagine this... driving through a forest TRAIL (off shoot from a forest road), about a 15" diameter Pine tree 50' long fallen across the trail between a bunch of other trees. NO WAY to get around, just too many trees. Decided my 6" lifted 4Runner with 33's and ARB's in both straight axles can easily pull my axle-flipped Utah over it... As soon as the Pup's axle left solid ground, it slid a few inches left since the trail was slightly sloped. tried again, slid again... towards a tree. Now I have a slightly jack-knifed Pup only 3 inches away from a tree and no way to back up cause there is now another tree directly behind it [:O]. Out comes tow straps and tree savers and 2 come-alongs to prevent it from sliding any further.

Needless to say I got over it unscathed but the moral of the story is to watch those slight slopes in tight quarters.

Here's the only pic I had of that trip...

[​IMG]

WET

16. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Ya I know what you mean. Some of the roads I travel after a storm will have the trees across the road and they are windshield high. That is what the winch is for provided it weighs less than 10,000lbs. If they are 4' in diameter then you are done [:(] and will have to find a way around or backup as you will not have a large enough chainsaw unless you are a pro lumberjack.

17. steved

steved New Member

[:D]

What are you saying? I call that firewood...a little noodling, a cut here, a cut there... [:D]

18. Brian2020

Brian2020 Member

Ok, as I suspected, you campers are prepared for this in a variety of ways, from hike out, to bow saw, come-along, chainsaw and even one I didn't expect at all, drive over (which I'm never going to do :)). Since this should be a very rare (if ever) occurrence , I am willing to forgo buying and carrying a chainsaw. Instead I am prepared to do whatever grunt work is needed to get my rig through. If the tree is an old growth Cascade Doug Fir monster I will hike out, something more like a couple feet in diameter and I will consider sawing it in two and then using a comealong to move it apart enough to drive through.

If I go the manual saw route, can someone tell me how a bow saw can cut deeper than the bow depth of the saw, which is usually only 7" or so?

19. steved

steved New Member

It depends on the bow saw, there are some larger varieties out there used in forestry...we have one here (somewhere) at the office, it'd probably do a 12 inch tree in a single pass.

It might seem funny, but if you're worried about the saw, you could get a large framing hand saw used in construction. If they'll cut a 4x4, they'll cut a tree; and they would only be limited by their length. I carried a 14" framing saw with me all the time, used it camping several times until I saw the guy using a electric chainsaw, then I started carrying my Sawzall. They call them a "rip saw" at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Hand+Saw+Buying+Guide_614237294_

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Mine's a bit more than that, more like 11-12". To go deeper, you make a v-cut and then your final line cut. You can also make an undercut depending on how the tree sits. Like I said earlier, you'll need arms like pistons.