Dealing with high winds in A-frame

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by JLE, Jun 1, 2019.

1. JLE

JLE Member

We are trying to figure out a simple way to support the roof better, when in high winds. Recently we were in Quail Creek campground near St. George UT when a big storm went through. While we have experienced lots of very high wind in the past, with no issues, this was really BIG. For the first time, the two roof panels actually lifted up. YIKES! (We had the windows open a bit to try to reduce the pressure).

Overall, given the force of the wind and storm, we thought things held together pretty well. The side walls where fine and stayed clamped into the roof panels, but we could see that the roof panels are really only held together at the top with the outside bungie that prevents them from opening too wide when setting up, and the metal ridge along the top. (Are you still with me??)

I've seen where others have put a long bungie or strap over the whole trailer, across the to and attaching it to the fenders, I assume. My partner thought we could have a couple metal brackets installed along the metal ridge outside on the top and the attach straps to hold it down in high winds. However, our 'trailer guy' said the metal ridge isn't strong enough to hold these brackets.

Any ideas??

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I carry a rope that can go from back bumper, across the top, and to the tongue. I have a brace made that goes inside, from peak to peak, to support the walls.

3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

While I don’t own an A-Frame type, We used to have a couple surplus ones at work we used, and I encounter them enough that I’ll share what I know.

As mentioned above, running a line fore and aft and secured to the frame/tongue/bumper seem to work well for the big roof panels. We used ratchet straps. The pole near the peak helped with the sides too. One of the two we had came with a seat belt sort of affair that attached to the sides that was supposed to help with erecting to keep the panels from getting away in high winds. I think you can get a wind kit for Chalet and Aliner from the mfg.

Good luck...

4. JLE

JLE Member

Thanks so much. We'll check into that kit.

5. JLE

JLE Member

Thanks! We'll look into a rope or strap from bumper to tongue. So far, we haven't had any issues with the side walls as the two clamps on each side seem pretty solid.

6. JLE

JLE Member

We went with the Wind Cheeta to have more secure walls in the high winds per above trailer-Cheeta Wind Straps.JPG

...haven't put it to the test yet but it operates like a seat belt...when pulled quickly it locks (we hope!).You can see the strap at the peak...same on both sides. There is a YOUTUBE video explaining how to instal these.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I don't think the Wind Cheeta does anything to secure the walls, only the roof.