Dealing With Prejudices While Camping

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by Becky Roque, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky Roque

Becky Roque Member

My boyfriend has listed many a reason why camping is not for him, among that list is that we are a biracial couple. Can any other couple relate to fears of dealing with small minded people? He’s afraid of people bothering us. I told him gay, biracial, all kinds of couples camp and travel the country with no issues...your thoughts?

bmidkiff87 likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are just as many small minded people in the supermarket as in a campground. Luckily there are an equal number of folks like me who don’t give a damn what color you are or who you choose to be with. Please don’t let it stop you from camping

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I am not in your situation, however I have found, by and large, that the majority of campers tend to be friendly, and most keep to themselves unless there is an issue (loud music, too many vehicles/tents, etc). When I camp I rarely have anyone come up to me and talk.

What does he like to do? Can you incorporate activities that he enjoys into a camping trip? Grilling/hiking/biking? You don't want to force him to go - that leads to resentment and hostility.

Honestly I see at most campgrounds that everyone is so busy during the day and evening that no one has time to go around and bug others.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I kind of found the oposite true. At least up north. Campers by me are inviting to all, there campers. Never saw a problem. Even with the kids. Dosent mean ot isnt there , its just i never saw it.

DJS12354, Randy Miller, Fiona and 3 others like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Didnt even see that, great point. It vould be he just dosen't want to go camping.

6. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on where you are and who you end up camping around.

Everyone...and I mean everyone, if they're honest with themselves, has some sort of prejudice towards people different than themselves. They may not act on them or actively think about them, but they're there. Its human nature and part of where we were raised and the culture around us.

With that said, people bothering you because you're a biracial couple is blatantly racism and not acceptable. Thats where the authorities need a call.

I've camped with all sorts of people that are different than me and most, especially in a camping setting, are great. There will almost always be a few bad apples wherever you go, camping or not. But I wouldn't allow those bad apples deter me from camping if thats what I wanted to do. Its what people do that bothers me, not what people are. When people act like idiots, I assume they are and treat them as such which usually means just steering clear of them. [2C]

7. Sjm9911

And i also see people Helping out others, so a lot of people just looking after one another even of its at a distance. This goes for kids, handicapped , etc. Never met anyone who was an atual jerk. Saw one once but the rangers kicked them out pretty quickly.

Fiona, AMC, shuang2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Ok last thing, sorry . Keep getting thoughts after i hit reply. Another good way to go is in a group. So , join or start a rally here. You can be with your online pup freinds that you never met before. Lol. Its a good way to feel safer if you need that. And a good way to meet like minded campers.

9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I would imagine that where you are in California that there is more diversity than most places in the country. That being said, I don't often see much diversity at the campsites and I am referencing campgrounds in New York and Pennsylvania. Which leads me to believe that camping is a recreation that is done predominantly by white people. I am not trying to stir controversy here, just stating my observations from my experiences only. I am not white and I have not experienced any racial issues at campsites here in the Northeast. I have experienced loud people, drunk people, rude people and some that behave just horribly. But none that were outright racist. We live in a world where there is a lot of division and some people are quick to tell you why your're wrong and they are right. I wouldn't let the fear of that stop you from enjoying things in life. If camping is one of them, I say go for it.

grandpa mikey, smilee, Fiona and 9 others like this.
  10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

He's probably thinking about that family that got chased out of Forks a while back. That was just horrible. But the baddies weren't fellow campers.

I wouldn't expect problems camping to be any worse than anywhere else, but just like anywhere else, unfortunately, you two probably should be more alert than other couples. Never know when a nut will show up.

11. Fixitup

Fixitup Well-Known Member

I say, if you fear these issues because of small minded people and you let it affect what you want to do, you are only restricting your god giving right to enjoy as you please. F#$% the thoughts of that caliber of people. Go camping and enjoy!

12. Becky Roque

Becky Roque Member

He was raised in Barbados where they literally HAD to use wood to cook etc when there was a hurricane. He said he had enough of that. But we grill outside on the patio all the time. We sit outside the house the majority of our lives after work, I told him that’s what camping is for me. Then he brought up not feeling safe because we are biracial, yeah I think he just doesn’t want to go camping.

13. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Lots of dispersed camping in Cali.. only have to see others in camp if you choose to.

Hope you can work it out to where he feels comfortable..

14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hope maybe in time he'll get into camping, NO excuse for folks to feel unsafe. Remember well in the 50s/60s the separations; ball parks were segregated, little league teams, school, restaurants, etc...in high school we were finally able to desegregate, but growing up in a small town, we always played together, went to each others homes, & never gave it much thought...will never understand racism...

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm in Northern California and I have not seen any problems regarding race while camping. I'm white, so I cannot say it hasn't happened, but I have never witnessed it happening. I have seen biracial, hispanic, african-american, middle eastern, etc., campers - I will say the majority have been white, but it is definitely opening up with other ethnicities.

If he is not really keen on camping in general, then trying to incorporate other interests may help as Sneezer suggests.

Has he actually gone camping yet? Or is it he doesn't really want to go again?

You might invite some friends to come with you - even if it's just for a day. That could ease his worries a bit and make it more enjoyable.

Instead of large reservoir campgrounds, try small USFS ones. They'll be less likely to have problem groups (let's face it, a group of "drunk good ole white boys" is the most likely to be a problem). They cater more to folks who want to get out and hike, fish and relax rather than have large social gatherings.

You could also try a sightseeing trip and/or head to a place that gets lots of international tourists. Death Valley in December. Spend your days seeing all the sights with tourists from around the world, then go back to the campground and spend the evening under the stars. He may be able to relax a bit more knowing he's not surrounded by "local hicks".

Steveo4090 and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a children's book I had, "Father's big improvements". About a family in the early 1900s. Father was the first in town to have electricity installed, then a telephone, then indoor plumbing, then an electric stove, etc. At the end of the story, Father took the family camping for vacation. Mother looked around the campsite and said "this isn't a vacation". Sometimes our perceptions are a bit slanted.

17. Nimron

Nimron Active Member

I don't see it as an issue out camping, I agree that most people are out doing their own thing and don't pay much attention to others...unless they are loud or obnoxious. We like to visit with others, but if we feel they don't want to converse, I think we get the message. I hope he gives it a try, there is too much beauty out there to not try it.

Alan, saxjonz and southern gal like this.
  18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

He is reaching for excuses, kind of lame.

Alan, the-one1, saxjonz and 3 others like this.
  19. IndyRick

IndyRick Active Member

As long as you turn your lights & music off at night, you can camp beside me anytime.

Rempop, Alan, saxjonz and 4 others like this.
  20. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Well Becky, I wish I had a secret to get him out camping with you. Maybe come to the UP and go camping with us?? [?:~{]

Rempop and Rik Peery like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.