Death to fuzzy tail tree rats!

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by BillyMc, Feb 20, 2021.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

This week I've been testing stuff on the new to us hybrid. Furnace and fridge work great and was going to hook up water and test the water heater tomorrow being they aren't calling for freezing weather after tonight for a while. I had to go to the store for DW and when I returned and got out of the van I smelled gas. I put down the stuff from the door to find where it's coming from. The house has gas heat, that wouldn't be good tonight with temps in the 20s. As I walked between the camper and the garage I could hear the hiss coming from the camper. One of those @#&$%*! has chewed a hole in the line from the tank to the regulator. I'm done deterring these destructive rodents from constantly chewing on our stuff. Death to them all!!!!!!!!

Pommom70, rescamilla, aan1129 and 5 others like this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hard to beat a .410 for that application. We had to pull the bed, on my son's Mazda pickup, to repair a gas line damaged by the elevated tree dwelling buck tooth rodents.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

rodent deterrent is one reason we went to using the braided stainless covered lines on the tanks to regulator, also so the rubber isn't as exposed to the UV. I'm sure it's not foolproof but it's a start.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Agreed, happened to me also. The rubber lines are like candy to them.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

aan1129, rescamilla, firepit and 5 others like this.
  6. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

I know!! We have too many grays, so when a red squirrel popped up in our yard about 2 months ago, I was happy to see it, I got to watch it chase red squirrels out! That was fun, hopefully red isn't a bad chewer of aforementioned lines.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  7. BillyMc

Unfortunately, discharging a firearm where we live is prohibited. Fortunately, a Benjamin .22 cal. air rifle is quite lethal and isn't considered a firearm where we live and I just happen to own one and a couple thousand pellets for it. Warning some areas that are less gun friendly consider anything over .177 cal. a firearm.

8. BillyMc

Never seen a red around here, but Fox squirrels were common when I was young. It's rare that I see them now, these little grey tree rats are everywhere though.

DiamondGirl and Susan Premo like this.
  9. Susan Premo

Fox squirrels are pretty, I don't think they come into people areas, just in the woods. But, I was surprised to see a red around here, but were close to the Mississippi river.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

Where I’m at in the desert... We have gopher issues. I’ve lost 6 Red Yuccas, 2 Purple fountain grass plants and a Blue Agave Cactus. We’ve tried everything to deter them. No such luck. We have cats so no issues with mice/rats. My last cat took out three gophers but there’s a group of them in the neighborhood.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

rescamilla and Susan Premo like this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

And then, there's the whole thing with pack rats at (some) campgrounds in AZ. When we were at Lost Dutchman a couple of years ago, it took us a bit to figure out why all the hosts had rope lights or such under their RVs; one had a shop light under their truck (that was very annoying, since it was not aimed well and blinded anyone walking on the road). Finally it dawned on us that it was in aid of repelling pack rats. The friends camping with us had been advised, at another campground, to leave their hood open. They sort of poo-pooed it, but decided to see if there was a spot a pack rat could built a nest - in less than half an hour, there had been vegetation deposited on the top of a head light. it is a problem here in NM too, especially in the East Mountains, Even at home, we had one set of ignition wires on our truck chewed by a ground squirrel.

rescamilla and Susan Premo like this.
  12. Susan Premo

Sounds more like a "gang"!

rescamilla likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just watch out the squirrels are arming themselves.

rescamilla likes this.
  14. BillyMc

New line (steel braided) on the way and wallet $30 lighter. Actually spent more than that. Ordered a 12' hose with quick connect fitting so I can T into the low side and use the stove from the PUP outside in the awning enclosure.

rescamilla, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax New Member

Firearms are prohibited where you live? Time for a change of scenery!

16. aan1129

aan1129 Member

We had fluffy tailed-floppy earred ground hoppers chew through all the wiring on a hot tub. I sure miss that tub. Right there with you!

rescamilla likes this.
  17. wtyrrel

wtyrrel New Member

Depends on the law; most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms in city limits; our cities do, as well.
    The air rifle isn't included because it literally isn't a fire arm; there's no fire. Not sure if they're trying to ban guns or just cared about the noise.. air rifles are much quieter (because no fire.)
    My dad has a 1 pump air rifle .177 that has a 1400 ft/s firing that will kill squirrels (using field pellets). Not all air rifles are made the same :p
    His neighbor uses traps which are much more effective.. squirrels seem to hate him - they've eaten several holes in his house into his attic; chewed a hole into his wooden deck (couldn't believe that one); and chewed up the wiring on both of his vehicles that were parked in the driveway. That's why he started using traps.

18. Camperboy#13

Camperboy#13 New Member Gold Supporting Member

I use a .22LR snake shot cartridge in my .22 revolver. I pick off Red Rats here at my house and it isn't as damaging as the .410 :)

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I had squirrels in my eaves two years ago. I started trapping them in my havahart trap. I caught over 50 squirrels in one season. It got to the point where I didn't even have to bait the trap. I think the trap smells like a squirrel so much that it attracts them.

20. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

And after they’re in the trap, it’s time for a swimming lesson!